Skip navigation

2861 Views 35 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2009 12:22 PM by cavidu RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • -John Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 23, 2009 1:03 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 14th Annual RC Cola-Moon Pie 10 Mile Run Reviews

This was my second go at this race. I only remember not wanting to do it again last time I ran it about 4 or 5 years ago. I couldn't exactly remember why. I think it was because I went out too fast and felt bad at the end. So this time I took it a little easier at the start and instead of blowing my wad on the 4.5 mile hill, I power walked up it and I do think that helped. I was able to run until I got overheated at about mile 7. I am a little too well insulated so I had to slow down on the last half. I had a 43 minute first 5 and then a 47 min second half. Still I am glad I ran it. I was ready for a cold shower at the end and due to getting a motel on Priceline.com in Murfreesboro, I was able to cool off quickly. I missed my moon pie and my cola. It seems like last time we got a bag with a moon pie in it. Oh well, I don't need those calories anyway. I do recommend this race at least once every 5 years or so...

• cardsox Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 17, 2009
    16. Jun 23, 2009 2:58 PM (in response to Guest )

I always keep forgetting about the 3 hills before the BIG ONE and this is my 5 time. (don't say it!) What a tough little course! 1st you battle the sun in your face for 2 miles and then the lack of supporters unless you count Bessy, Daisey and the herds of cattle. I also never remembered so many shade trees to run under. (Thank You Jesus!) I think with any race of this length or more, you will reflect, recall and recant...Why am I putting myself through this torture? I have learned to relax, take in the sites and enjoy God's creations. This helps me reach the finish line where Andy, Barney, Opie and Goober are there to welcome you to their town with a RC and Moon Pie. Personally, I prefer their Sun-Drop cola and sausage biscuit. Who says you can't go home?

• Jane3sons Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2008
    17. Jun 23, 2009 4:36 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time running this race and it was a wonderfully organized event and the Striders always do a great job! The heat and humidity were awlful this year! It was a challenging race with the hills but after mile 5, you are able to sail to the end!  I will be back next year! If you are in for the challenge, I definitely recommend this race!!

• LEG1124 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 1, 2009
    18. Jun 23, 2009 4:51 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a fun race.  The sausage biscuit at the end hit the spot.  I wish I had trained on hills more because my finishing time was 2:02.  Oh well.    Bell Buckle seems like a great little town.  The festival was fun and if I hadn't been so nauseous from running, I would have stayed longer.  This was my 2nd race ever and it helped me realize I love racing.  (Even with the nausea).  The best part for me was seeing my 3 year old son cheering me on at the finish.  I hope to do it again next year.

• hcoon1519 Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    19. Jun 23, 2009 5:21 PM (in response to Guest )

This is my second year to run this race!  I loved it, but the heat about killed me!  I have a couple of suggestions.  First, the water was so not cold.  When it is that hot outside, nothing taste worst than HOT water.  The water provided by spectators at the top of the hill was good and cold!  It hit the spot.  Also, sweating that much requires electrolytes.  I really needed Gatorade earlier than when we got it.  The first two aid stations only had hot water.  After those horrid hills during the first half, I was wiped out!  Next, what about a port-a-potty?  Girls cannot just go to a tree.  If we do, it isn't pretty!  Also, out of curiosity, what if someone got sick out there on the course?  I worried about that the whole time with the heat.  I was in Nashville when someone died during the half marathon.  How would someone know?  These are just suggestions.  I will be back!  It is a hard, challenging race and the people are so NICE!  I enjoyed the festival afterwards, too.  Thanks for putting on this race.

• mattym57@bellsouth.net Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    20. Jun 23, 2009 6:21 PM (in response to Guest )

It was my first time running this race and it was a wonderfully organized event and the Striders always do a great job! The heat and humidity were awlful this year! It was a challenging race.  I will be back next year and bring my running group.  I really  recommend this race!!

• Jladrun Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    21. Jun 23, 2009 7:03 PM (in response to Guest )

Greta race and festivities!! The Nashville Striders always put on great races!!! Wish my finish time would post though. It was very hot and hilly just as described! Some electrolyte beverages at the stations would have been nice in those conditions, but I brought my own so no real big deal. Thanks big time to the city of Bell Buckle for putting on this race and to the Striders. Major thanks to the couple who went out of their way to provide the unexpected water stop at the top of the  BIG hill and to the farmers who brought out their water hoses!!!!

• NaZdorovye Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 23, 2008
    22. Jun 23, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to Guest )

An incredible course!  Very well organized,  hospitality was great!  I'll certainly be back next year.  This is the kind of event that could become an annual 'must do'.

• Kneener Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 4, 2008
    23. Jun 23, 2009 7:56 PM (in response to Guest )

Very well organized.  Picking up number, chip, shirt - very easy.  My only complaint was the skimpy post-race refreshments.  When I finished there was only biscuits and bananas and muffins left...  no other fruit or MOON PIES!  There were plenty of drinks available throughout course and at the end of the race.  Beautiful area - lots and lots of hills!

• Piyavat Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 2, 2008
    24. Jun 23, 2009 8:38 PM (in response to Guest )

The Best!  I love it and have participated the run in the past 5 years.  I love this small town and very nice people so want to come back to pay them a visit every year.  Funny there is a lady who organizes the run and etc. every year, and I always called her Cindy every year though her name is not Cindy as she told me once. I apologize for my ignorance!  Also I had great memories of running here with my daughters and many friends.  We all had a love/hate relationship with those brutal hills.  We hate them but love to beat them!!  I was in the worst shape of my life this year but could not resist the running (and walking) challenge so I am now paying the price taking pain pills.  To this end, my daughters, friends, and I will come back next year for sure.   May be 75 degrees next year instead! Yeah, we all wish!  Oh, just a reminder.  May be we have to flag runners and walkers before the run what side of the road they should be based on their speed.  I am slow so always on the far left or right.  The running/walking traffic got unorganized sometime last Saturday as I observed.

• belrod Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008
    25. Jun 24, 2009 1:40 AM (in response to Guest )

This is one of the best Tennessee runs on the calendar!! It is only second to the Music City Marathon. I have ran this race for 6 plus years and the race  only gets better!! The course is very scenic and is always hot but when you finish, it always feels like you really accomplished something running a tough course. I would suggest this race to runners of all levels of training and fitness.

• gatorsag Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 1, 2008
    26. Jun 24, 2009 7:39 AM (in response to Guest )

Nice run, beautiful countryside, and more shade than I expected.  Best post-race eats of any I've seen.  I ate my weight in chicken and sausage biscuits afterward.  One criticism:  Not nearly enough cold water and Gatorade on the course.  Also need to have fluids and food pre-race.  If they had them, I didn't see them.

• Terry Frymire Rookie 1 posts since
    May 7, 2008
    27. Jun 24, 2009 10:33 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time doing this run.  It was great to share the experience with my son.  Though he probably could have finished much faster, stayed with me and provided needed encouragement. While doing a fireman's style run he must have actually run a 1/2 marathon. The course had rolling hills, and was hot.  The locals and participants were friendly and supportive

• gaylian Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 25, 2009
    28. Jun 25, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first Moon Pie.  I loved the course and the small town feel.  Very friendly folks down there in Bell Buckle.  I probably will not do again just because I live in Ohio and it was a very HOT day.  I don't like to run in heat that hot.  Great race though!!

• Nutmeghs Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 18, 2008
    29. Jun 25, 2009 11:38 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race!!!  If you are prepared for the heat and the hills you've got it made!  I loved the scenery and the small town fill.  This was my first time participating in this race and plan to do it again next year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...