Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2236 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2009 9:45 AM by EnviroSafeOne RSS
EnviroSafeOne Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 25, 2009 10:15 AM

ball of my left foot (only) gets very hot @4 miles

The ball of my left foot (only) gets very hot (and sometimes numb) @4 miles. This problem has existed through 3 different brands of shoes and a number of socks and combinations of socks. I've thought I've had the problem solved, several times (see below) only to see it return.

I've also tried powder, Body Glide etc. I otherwise love the newest running shoes I have, NB 1062 but the orthotic insert that helped for my last pair of shoes does not help for them.

The only other things that releive this problem are (1) slowing down and (2) changing to an odd, flat-footed, heel strike stride that also slows me down.

I am looking at several insole replacements that aim to cushion the metatarsals and/or offer a metatarsal dome to seperate the toes, such as the Shock Doctor X-Active and others.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

You should definitely see a podiatrist for a potential bone scan/MRI.  There might be some type of bursitis involved if this hasn't been resolved with shoe/sock changes.

Nevertheless, you might want to try running on forgiving surfaces such as dirt trails or grass fields.  This will lessen the impact forces your forefoot is experiencing and could lessen your symptoms.  You might also be tying your shoes too tight.  Numbness might signify a nerve issue - in that case I'd definitely recommend a professional consultation with a podiatrist or maybe an orthopedist.

Cheers, - Jason.

Strength Running
  • TheCnote Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 26, 2009

Have you tried going up half a shoe size? I had a problem in a similar area - a lumpy feeling just behind the ball of my left foot. I switched to a slightly bigger shoe and it sorted me right out. Are you sure you have enough room in there? Running shoes do tend to run small!

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007

No one yet has naswered because they haven't experienced this. I went to a podiatrist but recommended heavy running shoes. I knew better.

I would stop around 4 miles and rub my right foot and that would help at first. Sometimes that wouldn't help but strewtching with it would. Then it got worse.

On my 1/2 marathon I lost about 40 minutes leaning on trees and massaging my foot. Then the rest of the day was fine.

Yeah I tried shoes, insoles, etc..

One day I decided to run thru it on my 22 miler, it burned, hurt but it was a nerve issue. After about 20 mins of running on hot needles it went away. I decided to run thru it every time and it diminisged and stopped altogether, If I stop running also on treadmills the problem returns but no on the road.

I would walk thru it and see if that helps or maybe run thru it as I did. There's a nerve with issues.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points