Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2403 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2009 12:11 PM by geemtee
so.kam. Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2009 8:12 PM

plateau

I have those last 5 pounds to lose which are so very difficult to go away! I train 6 days/wk, swimming, cycling, running, the training is from a coach so it has intervals and everything, I eat extremely healthy, and here and there I will indulge to my sweet tooth and have some candy - in moderation though.

WHat am I doing wrong and the last 5 pounds don't go away? I have to say that I am a routine eater and if I like a food I can eat the same thing over and over again. Does that matter for not losing weight? I am 5'7 and I weigh 139.

Thank you!

Sofia

• Nutrition Tara Community Moderator 41 posts since
    Jul 17, 2007
    1. Jun 29, 2009 10:21 AM (in response to so.kam.)
    Re: plateau

Hi Sofia,

I find that a lot of my clients who are training as hard as you are actully undereating.  Usually I don't see weight gain when people undereat but it does result in a plateau.  Do you know how much you are eating from a calorie standpoint?  If not, you can try logging your food for a few days.  My favorite free on-line food logger is www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate.   Once you have a better idea of where you are it will be much easier to figure out how to make some changes so you can reach your goals!

tara

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

www.taracoleman.com

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    3. Jul 30, 2009 6:09 PM (in response to so.kam.)

I agree with nutrition Tara. You have to journal your foods to know exactly what you are consuming, most people low ball their calories by 25%. Make sure you are having breakfast and spread out your calories throughout the day. If your weight is primarily in the abdomen you will benefit from a low glycemic (low sugar) diet versus a low fat diet. Make sure your post workout meal has a 4/1 carb to protein ratio and is consumed within an hour of cessation. Carbs consumed during this window will replace your muscle glycogen stores (sparing muscle and metabolism) and not store as a fat.

Lastly, you might consider adding some resistance training. About 20 minutes, 3 times a week of high intensity work should be adequate. 

Weight loss Studio City/Toluca Lake

• geemtee Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008
    4. Aug 16, 2009 12:11 PM (in response to ultimatehlth)

i thought i could add a question to this since i often get confused.  you know how thedailyplate or similar calorie tracking sites will account for calories burned from activities?  so just to clarify, for those looking to lose weight, is it right to say we can generally eat additional calories so that the net calories equal our targeted daily caloric intake?  for example, if we are aiming for 1500 calories a day, and we burn 800 in a day,should we eat or not eat 800 to meet the 1500 daily target?

might be a stupido question but i thought i would just get some feedback!

thanks so much!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points