Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1179 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2009 10:43 AM by mikel 52
Skarlatha Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2009 7:14 PM

Listening to my body... but is it being a wimp?

I just attempted W3D1 today, and I felt horrible at the end of the second 3-minute run... I had a cramp in my side and my calves were burning. It was so awful that I had to just sit down instead of finishing the last three minutes of walking. I think my having to stop mostly had to do with the cramp instead of just being tired, but I'm nervous about trying it again. I wonder if I should back off and just repeat Week 2 or if I should just tough it out and assume that the cramp was a BBQ-related anomaly (I had a largish meal at a BBQ earlier, but it had been 3 or 4 hours since then).

I've tried listening to my body, and it says to go back to Week 2, but I don't know if it's just being a weenie or if I'm really pushing too hard. On the one hand, I don't want to hurt myself, but on the other hand, my body told me to give up after the very first day of C25k, and it was wrong. Any pointers on how to tell a real "slow down" signal from a "being a wimp" signal?

• flyshopgirl Expert 46 posts since
    Dec 29, 2008
    1. Jun 28, 2009 7:53 PM (in response to Skarlatha)
    Re: Listening to my body... but is it being a wimp?

There's nothing wrong with going back to another week to build up strength and stamina!  This is YOUR program.  The fact that there are weeks/days on the page doesn't matter.  Move on when you feel ready to give it a shot.  Some of it is "mind" vs. "matter."  Your mind says OH MY GOD!! THREE MINUTES OF RUNNING!! CAN'T!!  NO NO NO!  But the fact is, your body can do it.  That's why there are three days :P  Think of it as three opportunities!  Next time you run, go back to week 2, when that feels successful, move on to week 3

• briandvdsavage Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 20, 2008
    2. Jun 28, 2009 8:08 PM (in response to Skarlatha)

Skarlatha wrote:

I just attempted W3D1 today, and I felt horrible at the end of the second 3-minute run... I had a cramp in my side and my calves were burning. It was so awful that I had to just sit down instead of finishing the last three minutes of walking. I think my having to stop mostly had to do with the cramp instead of just being tired, but I'm nervous about trying it again. I wonder if I should back off and just repeat Week 2 or if I should just tough it out and assume that the cramp was a BBQ-related anomaly (I had a largish meal at a BBQ earlier, but it had been 3 or 4 hours since then).

I've tried listening to my body, and it says to go back to Week 2, but I don't know if it's just being a weenie or if I'm really pushing too hard. On the one hand, I don't want to hurt myself, but on the other hand, my body told me to give up after the very first day of C25k, and it was wrong. Any pointers on how to tell a real "slow down" signal from a "being a wimp" signal?

Always listen to your body. I trained for 3 marathons and only ran in one. Why? Injuries. The body has an amazing ability to acclimate and get better. Push yourself a little, to get to the next plateua, but if you fear getting an injury, chances are you will. Especially since in the case you are talking about above, you mention its a muscle, not your lungs or fatigue or an energy drop. After a while, you will know where the fine lines are, but in the beginning, until you know better, don't risk it.

I just backed off doing my favorite weighted exercise, pullups, for about a week b/c I felt a pain in my shoulder lifting with too much weight (weighted back pack) on.  As soon as I felt the "twinge" I knew it was quitting time to give myself a week to heal.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Jun 29, 2009 3:45 AM (in response to Skarlatha)
    Skarlatha wrote:

LMAO!  

Okay, first of all, the stitch in your side may not be any big deal. It can usually be resolved by changing your breathing pattern (breathe OUT for two counts, and IN for one count for a few breaths sometimes does the trick).  But the burning in your calves is a different story and may be the result of not enough recovery from your previous efforts.  The question of whether to "tough it out" can be a hard call.  You have to consider whether you are dealing with actual injury/impending injury vs. simply having an off day or overcoming your body's natural resistance to taking it to the next level.   Usually the deciding factor is pain.  Anything beyond "discomfort" should be taken seriously and addressed.   With mild muscle soreness, such as your burning calves, you can continue to exercise at a lower level.  Easy exercise will actually speed the healing, but this isn't the time to take it to the next level.  If the burning continues, you may be well advised to "listen to your body".  Its not being a weenie, it is responding to the stress in a normal way!  The thing about programs such as C25K is that they are based on generalities.  Everyone progresses at their own rate.  You may find some of the weeks unbearably easy and want to jump ahead.  Then you may find that you need to repeat a week once in a while before moving on.  Use the plan as a guideline but your own common sense is the deciding factor.  Pushing through DISCOMFORT is okay, pushing through PAIN is not.  Then I'll leave it to you to decide which is which (ask any doctor, they'll tell you before they saw off your arm that you will feel a little "discomfort".....lol)

Maybe you don't have to repeat the entire W2 but just modify what you're doing this week so that you can run w/o pain.  Push your body TO the limit but not OVER the limit. I hope this makes sense!  Good luck with your program.

• BonnieV Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    4. Jun 29, 2009 10:24 AM (in response to Skarlatha)

I repeated week 2 and did week 3 day 1 this morning.  I am so glad I repeated week 2!  My endurance and stamina improved and although this morning's session was hard, I DID IT!!!  As my trainer keeps telling me.  It's all about crossing the finish line.  One of the reasons I set my first 5K, Oct 4th.  I want to train to be successful not fail because I expected too much.  Add on that I'm 48 and 40 pounds overweight I am delighted with my progress.  Listen to your body.  This race is for you!

Bonnie

• mikel 52 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jun 29, 2009 10:43 AM (in response to BonnieV)

I too went back and repeated week 2 after having a hard time with week 3. I'm going to run again tonight if the weather holds out. I am still undecided if I'm going to do another day of week 2 or give week 3 a try again. I'll see how I feel when the time comes.

Mike

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...