Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9596 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2009 10:28 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Jun 27, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: June - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Welcome Bob the Nerd (BLN).   I am so far from elite I nearly choked reading that.  Fred and ribz (with his new washing machine motor) are our elites.

Ribz - I guess it depends on the size of the trunk.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    91. Jun 27, 2009 4:20 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Also want to give a welcome to Bob the Nerd. I'm just trying to do the best I can like everyone else here, though. I like that you set more miles as a goal just to see how it would go. That's how it goes, I think. You just say you're going to do it, and then it's done. Then you find it gets easier. Anyway, a good 5 miles for you.

I like the story about the dog, Ribs(z).

I was thinking Fred about what you said the other day about you're not doing anything moderatelyI can relate. It's what makes this injury so challenging. I've not been injured from running since 1997 (a badly twisted ankle after falling off a road curb on a run in the Napa Valley). The other day I was beside myself a little bit, more frustrated than usual about some little thing (and kind of groggy at work), because I wasn't getting the exercise I'm used to-I'm glad to run a few miles right now but my body says, 'you've hardly done anything.' So, I want to (have to) do extra stuff just to feel tired (that good tired feeling). Running is the quickest and most intense way of getting to that point. I'm glad I enjoy swimming-when the hip is healed I'll keep that up, a couple of times a week. And, also harkening back to something you said before Fred about adding a lot of walking to your workouts-running is great weight control. Without it...well, after 40 or so, it seems you just look at food and gain 5 pounds.

Today, I took two more ibuprofens (the Pacific Crest Trail long-distance hikers call this "Vitamin I"), and ran 5.2 miles on the dirt track. I felt pretty good, an easy 9:30 pace. Just a little irritation and during the last mile or so, I felt nothing. It's my longest run in two weeks. Then, a 1,400 meter swim, with a one minute break every 200 m, and 50 m intervals for about 400 meters (45 seconds for 50 m). Then, glute/core work. I felt wonderful afterwards.

Good runs everyone. 

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    92. Jun 27, 2009 6:18 PM (in response to SierraLauren)

good story ribs. If I may indulge is a bit of bad punning, the moral of the story is that things do get tricky when the CIA Labs get involved.

Thanks for the welcome guys.  The handle is just to keep me from taking myself too seriously.  Besides I'm a nerd named Bob.

Today's run: 1 km at about 20 minute pace. My 4 year old loves to jog along with me whenever I get off the treadmill at the fitness center and jog around outside; I just let her set the pace and tag along behind, enjoying every second of it. Today we had to do a lot of stops because of the heat -- 98F even after 7:30 PM.

Aug 14, 2007
    93. Jun 28, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Bob - we're so old we sometimes forget but we start a new 50's thread every month.  Watch for it; it could be a little early or a little late. 

Two days in a row off from running.   Yesterday spent all day at church working VBS and today after church it will be too hot.   Bob I'm in CC.  Are you in Austin?   Cutting back to about 30 miles next week to be fresh for Saturday.

Good to hear from you Sierra and Simon.  I miss Euphoric.  Hope she is ok.

have a good day all.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    94. Jun 28, 2009 7:45 AM (in response to fred-urie)

KS, thanks for reminding Bob about the new thread each month.  He will think we just disappeared on him!

Sierra, good to see you are getting to work with some core exercises.

The Saint and I ran a fiveK this morning, very small, low key race, just to help the RD who is a friend.  About 120 runners or so.  I didn't work hard at it, came to a dead stop at 2.2 miles and waited at the water table for a friend and ran her in.  I did the final tenth in 36 seconds however, just to do something, and 27:04 was my not very impressive time.  Poor Saint, her hip is hurting and she had to walk part of it.  She is still sore from last week's 15-miler.   Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    95. Jun 29, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

After taking two days in a row off from running I felt like a newbie and just a bit awkward running for a while this morning.  Turned out to be a good run for me.  1st mile just under 8 mins.   Then 4.75 miles at 6:47 pace.   Only 75 degrees this morning.    Yesterday was only 2 degrees below our record high.  Index was around 106-109.   Sweet!!

Have good and safe runs today.   Hydrate

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    96. Jun 29, 2009 3:41 PM (in response to ksrunr)

Ribs, in my thoughts for a speedy recovery for the Saint.

I did 5.25 miles at my best guess of steady state pace.  Not much I can say about that except it puts me on track for my goal of slowly ramping up the miles  (18 miles this week hopefully).  Horribly boring schedule, but I think it is good for me.

Yep, KS, north austin, far from any running trails unfortunately.Awesome workout KS. It sounds like you are getting ready for a race... the freedom 5k in austin by any chance?

I will unfortunately not be there...Just not ready yet to hit the road...

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    97. Jun 29, 2009 4:46 PM (in response to BobTheNerd)

The core work and stretching is helping, I feel, Spareribs. Though yesterday I felt the hip all day while just walking, which was a bit of a let down. The advice I've gotten is to continue to run (though half the miles I was running before, which is pretty much what I'm doing) stretch a lot and see how the running and hips feels.  I hope that  your friend,The Sain, is feeling better.

No workouts at all yesterday...I didn't even walk the dog. On top of that I pigged out on Chinese food (a rare treat) at my husband's behest (though I can't blame him that's for sure). I was all for it.

Today I wasn't going to run but the swim team was practicing. So, I spin cycled for about 11 miles (30 minutes), and then ran on the TM for about 3.75 miles, and walked another mile. I had taken Advil so didn't feel a thing. Still I didn't want to run much further than that. I don't want to take Advil habitually but I will take it for a while if I can run without pain. That felt like a pretty good workout, and since the swim team was still practicing when I finished, I called it a day after the core and stretches. I'm finally making good use of my fitness club. It's in the mid-80s here and climbing.

Aug 14, 2007
    98. Jun 29, 2009 8:12 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Bob - slow and boring is the way to start getting back in shape.  My race is a local 4 mi on the 4th.  It's our second largest short race and very competitive in the masters' division.  I could be 1st or 8th depending on the day.  I'll be moving my daughter to S.A. on the 17th but I can't find a race in S.A. or austin on the 18th. 

Sierra - sorry your having so much trouble.  When you said you were on the spin cycle I immediately thought about Ribz new washing maching motor.  You are getting him all revved up!!

Hi ya Fred.  Hi ya Simon

Euphoric!!!???

Dec 14, 2007
    101. Jun 30, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Thanks Sierra.  The Saint is my wife, and she picked up that nickname because she has to put up with me, which she seems to do with good grace.  Also, I am glad the exercises seem to be helping.  This morning when I was doing my set at the Y, a woman working next to me commented on it. She works for the PT who gave the exercises to me and when I told her the core set helped with my glute/piriformis problems she said the same thing I said to you.  "When you feel the muscle begin to fatigue, you know you are strengthening it."

I did just 3 slow recovery yesterday but I think I was tired of the heat, rather than from Sunday's race where I didn't work very hard.  Today I did 6 on a very hot outdoor track and then one mile in the air conditioned Y, which was a pleasure, so 7 in all today.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    102. Jul 1, 2009 10:28 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Bob the Nerd and others, it's now July.  Go here:  http://community.active.com/thread/68468/july-50-plus-training-and-racing/0/0

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...