Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

This thread is locked
15758 Views 89 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2009 2:33 PM by spicegeek RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 30, 2009 12:49 PM (in response to JoeInTX)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of June 28th

Did my kettle bell endurance workout again today - just twice thro so about 40 mins - and spent a good long time rolling out  my IT band ! Now I know from Chiropractor where the issue is - oddly at the top of my thigh at the front - I can foal roll more effectively !

Karen - If you are are injured I think a 6 day a break is a smart thing - try swimming to cross train - do some upper body and core weight training - if biking and the eliptical don`t hurt they are fine too - you won`t lose fitness - in fact the rest you`ll be running on fresh legs so you`ll do Ok on the 4th. You have a TONS of time until Nov - my marathon is Nov 1 and I have not started the official training program yet - you are well ahead of the curve.

Raiders - welcome - don`t start out too fast if this is your first 10K - run the first half a little slower that you think you can = the start to turn up the pace for the second half. I find 10Ks the hardest distance - the are long enough that you can burn out early but too short to really get into that long run mode !

Cyndi  yes I foam roll - and they are great for preventing issues - but my IT Band issue has taken hold and I start my marathon training in a week so I needed a more proactive battle plan ! - I would never have inmagined the source of the issue would be where the chiro pointed out - so now I can  foam roll the right area - the IT Band binds to all kinds of other tissue thats when it gets all contracted - I guess mine is wrapped around my TFL ! I was dump I had be focussing a lot of rolling a taking care of my right leg after a hip stress fracture last year - my left IT band is the one that tightened up - Probably a result of the imbalance after the hip injury

warias if you like a change of pace you may just fall in love with kettle bells !

misswendy - yup I can`t wait to start my training !! but I have to stop baking and eating that stuff !!

Cara Wow you are doing so well !! You are going kill in Berlin !!

Robyn Hi Welcome ! Personally I think 6 days a week of running is too much - but some others can chime in here - I would not run more than 5 days - do a day of cross training instead - How many miles do you run each day ? if you are running 5 days you also want to make sure they are mosly very easy paced runs compared to your race pace. My training maxed out at 10 miles before my first - I think thays is sufficient - plan on cutting way back on the running a week before the race. I also thing weight training is of huge benifit to runners. Take a look at a few half training plans - Hal Higdon, Galloway, the ones here and runners world - see what you like the look of. As for the ipod issues - I don`t run an inch in training without my running buddy or my ipod - but once I race it takes so much focus - stay on pace - watching heart rate - hydrating , fuelling , I don`t even notice - Make a pace bracelet for your goal finish - so you knw at each mile what you time should be - this will help keep you on pace - and give you something very solid to focus on - I used the one you can print here http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm

runjr - Glad you liked the video - I was thinking of you when my trainer pulled out his camera and said he was going to tape some of the session !

Vicki - 3 weeks out the best thing you can do now is rest and make sure your hip is healed - down hill running is brutal on teh knees and hips - do take care !

John I hear the Pittsburg half is very good - I`ll be busy running NY on Nov 1st ! .. I hope !! Racing faster that you train is just the way it should be - it sounds like you are in very good shape to tackle a half in Nov - take a look at the Hal Higdon Novice half plan - it is 3 or 4 days a week of running and includes cross training - I used that as I like to have lots of cross training and it worked very well for me - Don`t neglect the weight training

Jim blood blister... not even close tot he grossest discussions around here !! Your shoes may be too small - or your feet are sliding too much - try lacing your shoes a differant way - abd really pay attention when you run - are your toes hitting your shoes ?

Warias  NYRR discourages IPODs but doesn`t ban them - From the official rules "The use of headphones is strongly discouraged."

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• mass girl Legend 357 posts since
    Oct 20, 2008
    46. Jun 30, 2009 12:54 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi Everyone,  I'm still up in Maine at the Beach with no Sun!!!! Its not raining though!!! Monday was a rest day and today I ran 4 miles!!! The weather was great for running!!!! In the low 60s.

Welcome Robyn Do you live in Mass?? I do I'm from central Mass. I hurd the Hollis Half was a nice race. Even if a race says no ipods everyone still uses them.For training I used Hal Higdons. Its a 12 week 3 or 4 days of running.

First hm- 2/14/09 2:05:20       10k-4/5/09  56:58     NJ half marathon  5/03/09  2:02:50    Run to remember hm 5/24/09 2:05:57

Hartford Conn marathon  10/10/09  4:55:06    1 st Run 10k Lowell 1/1/10 55:23   Hyannis half 2/28/10 2:01:58

• jopapgh Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    47. Jun 30, 2009 1:24 PM (in response to mass girl)

Spicegeek,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am leaning to running the 1/2.  I have until the end of August until the registration rate goes up again, so I'll see where I am then.  I plan 5Ks in July and August and a 10K in September.

Regarding the MP3 player question, I was so busy focusing on my 5K run that I only remember two songs playing,  but "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band really helped my flagging spirits.

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    48. Jun 30, 2009 5:50 PM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi again - thanks for the info re the toenails. Shoes too large, eh? That's weird, I went down a half-size this year. I think they might be bumping up against the inside of the toe box. I don't mind losing the nails - at least they'll be symmetrical, right? - it's more the discomfort that I don't like. Could be worse though, right cyndi, misswendy, frootloop?

And robyn129, thanks, it's not discipline so much as being out of work and having a lot of free time to train. That's the good thing about unemployment - I could never have done this amount of training with my old job. Got to look on the bright side, right? And which HM bans headphones? That would be a dealbreaker for me - I need my motivational music. Now I'm paranoid that the R&R HM bans them!

• jimmysbaby Legend 225 posts since
    Mar 21, 2009
    49. Jun 30, 2009 7:05 PM (in response to Jim66441)

I have been running, not as much as I would like but sometimes life gets in the way.  I really shouldn't complain, I see and feel the benefits of running.  My girls have been playing at a tennis camp in St. Augustine so I have been running there.  I ran over the Vilano bridge (1 mile) and back to the college for 3.38 miles, I averaged 9:29 for that run.  This is very good for me, I struggle to get under 10 minutes.  Thank you to the person that pointed me to Runningahead.  I cannot remember who it was but I really like it.   I am able to better see how far I am running and the stat keeping part is great.

I have been so bad with the shouts, I've just been so tired when I get on the computer but I would like to address Jim's toenail issue.  My daughter plays tennis very competively and looses her nails in the same manner as you do.  She has lost all of her toenails at least once.  I have taken pictures of her and she lands on her toes when she serves and is on the side of her foot when she hits a back hand.  In other words, she puts alot of pressure on the front part of her feet.  She doubles up her socks and that seems to help some.  Different shoes haven't made much difference, she doesn't wear her shoes tight which I am sure would hurt the toes. She keeps her nails short.  I don't know how or where you run, but maybe you are putting pressure on that area.  Do you run up or down hill alot.  Hers are not painful so we just accept it as a part of her tennis life.

I am not sure if this helps, but toenail issues are a part of athletic life in our house, I tend to loose mine too but no as often as my daughter.

Everyone is doing great, I am very envious of the 60 degree weather.  I am running a 5K on Saturday.  I hope to keep it under 30.

Enjoy the 4th

Melody

• eponacelt Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    50. Jul 1, 2009 3:46 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Good morning to all.  I'm beginning to wonder where the summer weather has gone.  Not that I'm complaining, but no humidity and 59 degrees in the morning on July 1 is pretty un-Virginian.  But it is great for running.  I'm fast when it's cool, and I don't even realize it!  Shaved about 20 second per mile off my typical pace, and didn't really feel like I was pushing particularly hard.  I only did 3 miles, and was pretty tired at the end, but overall felt great, which was nice. 

I think I'll stick with three runs a week through training like the modified plan I'm using suggests.  I added an extra run last week, and just didn't feel like I recovered enough between runs and ended up with a slightly sore foot.  I'd rather stay healthy and get through this HM in November, rther than push and not even make it to the starting line.

Have a great day all!

Recent:  11/14/2010  OBX Half Marathon 2:28:15

4/10/2011  Flying Pirate Half Marathon 2:31:15

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    51. Jul 1, 2009 5:59 AM (in response to eponacelt)

Good morning to all,

I had a great time at the "bra fitting" event last.  I forgot my manners and had one too many I'm paying for it today.

It was a struggle to get up this morning.  The workout  was even worst, but sucked it up and got it done....woo hoo!

I had my oatmeal + OJ- I'm ready for the day ahead

Question:  Do you guys believe in chiropractors? I visited one yesterday for the first time.  This practice is diffrent b/c they x-ray my spine and are correcting the source of problem.  I was told most chiropractors temporarily fix problem not the cause of the problem (does that make sense?)  I had my spine x-ray and last night in my visit I saw that the top of my spine is straight instead of at an angle which is causing other problems (unbeknownst to me since am not in any pain, just slight disconform in mornings).  I'm not in pain, but in time if whta they are saying is true it looks like I'll have major problems.  I'm still a bit of skeptic.  Any thoughts?

Spacegeek-  I became a fan of active in facebook, however I could not find the workout.  Please excuse my idiocy  as I am learning my way around facebook

Jimmysbaby:  good luck with 5K this weekend

Jopagh: Welcome to the forum!

Jim66441:  Great job on those 14 miiles!- I can see it in my future

RUN HAPPY!!!

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    52. Jul 1, 2009 7:41 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Cyndi T:  Thanks again for getting us the 15% coupon.  I just ordered my chunky bracelet in dark red.  I was able to get the color i wanted after  all.  I can't wait to wear it

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa

• Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    53. Jul 1, 2009 7:46 AM (in response to warias)

Hey Everyone,

9 miles this morning which went pretty well. Luckily it was a couple of degrees cooler and a little wind so made it easier - although it was still pretty hot! As planned I cut my original 11 miler to 9 - I am happy with this if it helps me to get to 18 on Saturday... although that seems pretty daunting right now!

Tomorrow is my weights class - no running. I may cycle tonight though to make up for those 2 miles

Robyn - Welcome to the group and congrats on signing up for your first HM. Your base now is a great start for training! I once tried to recite all my times tables whilst running... took my mind off it trying to calculate 11 * 13 and such like it got a little boring though!

Runjr - I would love that weather for running... it's 85 - 90 here at the mo... I know that's cold for some of you Thanks for the advice on taking the long runs slow! I will be trying to remember that for my 18!!!

Vicki - take care of that hip! Be careful with a lot of downhill running if you are still having problems... it may make it worse. Wow - 108... I can only imagine!

John - welcome to the group! There is plenty of time to train for that HM in Nov. Maybe check out a plan like the Hal Higdon Novice and see what you think?

Heather - Yoga and core doesn't really equate to rest Hope you managed to squeeze that run in somewhere! Good job sorting out bike kid!

Jim - congrats on your 14 miles! Hope the toes are doing better... i'd agree it's likely to be a shoe thing - sometimes you only notice these things as the mileage increases!

Cyndi - I am taking heed of your toenail story! I got my new shoes up half a size too as they were rubbing my little toe some... only they feel pretty big now! Can't really win

Warias - Lol on the one too many Did you feel better after the workout? I find a good run and fatty breakfast does marvels for a sore head! Not that I do that too often though I don't really know about the chiropractors side but hopefully someone else will be able to comment

Spicegeek - Glad you got some good advice on the IT band. Hopefully you will be back to full fitness soon! Great kettlebells session... Ready for that first week of training?

Lorie - sorry the weather hasn't worked out for you! Nice to get all the runs in though... I would happily drop a few degrees to get some good runs in!

Melody - As long as you are still running it'll maintain the fitness! Looking forward to hearing about that 5K!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well... about 1.5 hours until home time for me - not that i'm counting

Happy running all

Cara x

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• Robyn129 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    55. Jul 1, 2009 8:52 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

Hi All!

Thanks for being so welcoming! And to everyone who suggested I look at Hal Higdon's training guide--Thanks a bunch. I jogged a slow 8 miles yesterday, at a 12 minute/mile pace and 4 miles this morning. I'm not sure about tomorrow because I plan on jogging 6-7 on Friday, taking Saturday off and jogging 6-8.5 on Sunday.

SpiceGeek- Thanks for the link for the pace wristband! I also appreciate your suggestion that I switch my 6th day for a day of cross training. Maybe I'll buy a bike. I'd say I could swim, but I haven't seen the sun in New England in over two weeks!

MassGirl- Yes, I'm from the South Shore of Mass, but I'm living in NH for the summer and I will be starting my senior year of college up there in the fall. I heard about the Applefest HM in Hollis from someone from Mass who ran it while training for the Boston Marathon last year.

Jim- The HM that bans iPods is the Applefest HM in Hollis, NH. I heard it was a great HM because of the beautiful scenic route full of New England fall foliage and the great applecrisp made from local orchards that is waiting at the finishline.

Chamblin- I probably won't be doing anymath (except maybe calculating my time) but maybe I'll do categories:  name 10 Adam Sandler movies, 20 favorite fruits...stuff like that.

Joe- Enjoy vacation!!

Keep it up everyone!

Keep Running!

Applefest Half Marathon 9/26/09

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    56. Jul 1, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to warias)

Warias you're very welcome....glad it worked out for all of us....they shipped one of mine on Monday so I shoudl get it in a few days...can hardly wait.  Glad to know they had the red beads for you.

Did 12 miles on my bike this am (at 5...no little kids).  It was wonderful, not as wonderful as a good run but close.  Maybe the hammy problem is a good thing...opened up another fitness source for me that I probably wouldn't have persued on my own.  Can't wait to get back to running though.  Received my foam roller and rolled away last night.  Found lots of "sore" areas on my legs and butt I didn't know were sore (my piriformis problem which I felt was gone actually is still sore with the roller).  I'm going to keep rolling, icing, and keeping the hammy wrapped.  It's day 4 of my no running countdown....

I'm collecting a nice little bag of running tricks since this injury, reusable ice pack (large size which covers the whole hamstring in one icing), foam roller, exercise bands, 6 inch ace bandage (the 2 inch was to annoying as it kept slipping...the 6 inch covers nicely), and of course my new bracelets that I haven't received yet...my family now knows I really am a lunatic runner not just a slighly obnoxious runner....they want me back on the road too....my paraphenalia is taking up the house.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    57. Jul 1, 2009 10:15 AM (in response to cyndi t)

hey yall

6 miles t his morning, and i only thought i would make 4.5. but when i got to the turn back home i decided to go for the extra 1.5 and it was great.

later, as some of  you may have seen on fb, i dropped a can of spaghettios on my toe at walmart. big blue streak on the top. we were going to enter the 5k for saturday by phone today, but i may have to see how things go this afternoon....kind of hurts to walk, so idk if i could run. anyway, dd and ds enjoyed the spaghettios for lunch, even if they did make mama very grumpy!!

carmen....go for the 10k. it will be a great test for you on the hills.

cara....wow, the miles are really adding up! sounds like you are ready for 18 miles! good luck.

robyn...welcome, sounds like you are well on your way to completing your first half! have you picked out a plan?

runjr...smart to take advantage of the good weather. i feel like i am not in recovery mode anymore, just back to regular running, and building up to weekly total of about 36. that will be all for me this summer

vicki...take it easy and get to the start line healthy. yes, august will be unbearable if the trend continues.

jopagh....welcome. sounds like you can do it. get a training plan online, and read all you can about running longer distance races.

heather....wow! you are tough! LOL hope the teenagers stay away...

jim....are your shoes big enough? are you keeping your nails trimmed? i lost a toenail last fall while traing, it is not that uncommon. hope they dont bother you too much more.

spicegeek...baking, now that is what running is all about!

lorie...hope you get some sun soon. way to keep up the running!

melody...good luck on the 5k sat!

warias...LOL, does the bra fit?!?!?!

cara....you wont miss the 2 miles. focus on the 18.

joe...enjoy california! run lots and take lots of pics!

love to all

• sunshineangeljrs Pro 127 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    58. Jul 1, 2009 10:33 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

I am here!  I am here!  So many new people, so many shouts behind!!!  I feel so behind here!  I will try to catch up reading and shouting tonight; IF I get the apt clean... Company this weekend; coming in tomorrow night!

Yes, I must have had some type of tummy bug on Sunday; but Monday night, I went to the gym and ran it out of me!  Last night I had my trainer and we did bi's and tri's......I can barely pick my arms up to type, but it FELT GREAT!  I haven't done much weights with all the mileage I have been piling up for the Tri, but it did sure feel good.  (he told me that he KNEW I needed to do some weights....smart guy!)

Tonight is swimming; and tomorrow is running (woo hoo, day 3 this week) and then a core class.  Then off for 2 days........will I be able to stand it?  I don't know, but will try.  Sunday will certainly make up for it; biking 20 miles and then walking for 30 minutes and maybe a swim to stretch it all out.  Mileage looks good for the week so far.

THREE WEEKS UNTIL THE TRIATHLON!

WElcome to all the Newbies, hello to all my old friends (not old like that!!! geeeeeeeeeeeeez, you guys!)

Happy Hump Day +1 aka Friday eve day.....

Jill

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    59. Jul 1, 2009 11:17 AM (in response to sunshineangeljrs)

hi all, high temp here today will only be about 62 degrees. This could beat our previous lowest high temp for July 1st.  Great running weather.  BTW I did take the day off from running because I am getting closer to full training again.  I biked for about 35 minutes and did some weights.  I am registered for my third full marathon in the fall.  I will add at least one HM as well.

vicki - 3 weeks away, that is great news.  Glad your DH is going with you on Saturday.  Glad you are resting a bit.  It is best to get to the starting line healthy.

john - sounds like you should have plenty of time.  Pick a reasonable plan and it shouldn't be a problem.  Just make sure you don't increase your mileage more than 10% per week.

jim - sounds like poor shoe fitting? Can't say I have had to deal with that problem.  Too tight on the top near the laces?

cyndi - I agree with you and the respect we gave as children is quite different today.

robyn - check to see if indeed they discourage them or strictly prohibit IPOD useage.  If it is your first HM you will have plenty to see and the crowds will help.  I have mine but really don't listen too much during the race.

spicegeek - you are talented with the kb's.  How long did it take you to get that good?  Better question, did you ever hit yourself with one of those?

massgirl - hope the sun comes out.

melody - another software that you can use on your laptop is called sporttracks.  It is free and you can even keep track of your shoe wear.

warias - I have never been to a chiropractor but would visit if I needed it or it might help.  For me I need to run and if they could help me I would be there in an instant. 

cara - that kind of heat in the UK, is that common?  Good luck with the 18, I hope to hear a good report.  How many bottles on your amphipod belt are you taking?

misswendy - tough Walmart break. At least dd is happy. I can't picture you being grumpy.

jill - hope the apt is clean for the guests.  That's okay, I am old.

take care.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...