Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

982 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2012 7:16 AM by Bubzy RSS
BonnieV Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 5, 2009 5:29 AM

repeating weeks?

I started the Couch to 5K program in the beginning of June.  So far it's gone like this..

week 1 - completed week 1

week 2 - completed week 2 (barely)

week 3 - completed week 2 again (MUCH easier)

week 4 - completed week 3 (barely)

Today starts my 5th week.  I'm seriously considering repeating week 3.  My boyfriend and my trainer both think I should just push myself on go on to week 4.  The 5K I signed up for isn't until Oct 4th.  It seems to me to make sense to be able to complete a week fairly easily before progressing or am I just being ruled by my fears of being able to actually do this.  I have to add I am 48 years old and 35 pounds overweight.

What do you all think?  Repeat week 3 (which would put me 2 weeks behind in the program) or try week 4 and possibly fail?  My fear is if I fail I will quit in frustration.

Thanks for your opinions and inputs!

Bonnie

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Jul 5, 2009 5:46 AM (in response to BonnieV)
    Re: repeating weeks?

Completing each week is largely a mental challenge - physically you CAN do it - you mentally stress yourself out - If you repeated a week you`d find it a cake walk - so in short - yes you are being rules by your "fears" - it`s natural - Keep progressing until you reach a week a can not complete - and then repeat that week - you have complete this week - it`s not meant to be easy ! -  celebrate - move forward !! you are doing great !!

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• SweeterRuns Rookie 5 posts since
    May 3, 2009
    2. Jul 5, 2009 7:34 AM (in response to BonnieV)

I'd go on to week 4 and if you need to, slow down during the runs. In my experience week 4 is a big one mentally. For me the thought of a five minute run was really scary. A huge part of running is mental and now you're starting the part of c25k where mental toughness is just as important (maybe more) than the physical part. Tell yourself you can do it and you will.

• Bubzy Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 1, 2012
    3. Nov 1, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to BonnieV)

I am repeating the c25k and am at week 4 like you. I am very slow! LOL. But I had the exact same question you did, and I loved the answers below! I agree...week 4 is a real mental obstacle...going from 3 to 5 minutes seems herculean! But I did my first run last night and no it wasn't easy but I did it!

I wondered last night if i should repeat week 4 until it is easy for me, but saw the two AWESOME replies to your post, and now am completely motivated to plug away at this.

I am 49 years old, run like a Clydesdale horse LOL and am maybe 20 lbs overweight? Just not a natural athelete, but I love this program!

good luck BonnieV and thanks to the 2 people who replied to your post.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points