Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

22377 Views 85 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2010 8:12 AM by Achmed1 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • crandolp Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 7, 2009 6:06 PM (in response to tcarter83)
    Re: Pet Peeves while running?

Far and away my biggest pet peeve while running is in passing runners going the opposite direction and waving, saying hi, etc., and getting nothing in reply.  I understand how this could happen in a big city, but in small towns it's inexcusable.  At least give me a grunt...

• bonewoman Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    16. Jul 7, 2009 6:07 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Oh, and when the ipod ear buds fall out of my ears!

Holly

8=8

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

• Beckcollect Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    17. Jul 7, 2009 8:01 PM (in response to LowDead)

I can understand LowDead's peeve about the competitive runners that finish a race and then turn back. I can't speak for other's, but I often run back after finishing to support a friend who is still out running. If I just wanted to run some more, I wouldn't run back, but instead, just keep going, or do the course again.

1. People or people with animals, prams, ect who block the path and won't budge

2. People smoking where runners are likely to be eg in parks, or on footpaths

3. People who leave their dog's excrement on the ground - they should have a dna databank for dogs and a free drop off service for dna testing of dog pooh. Owner pays for costs.

4. Idiots who yell from cars and throw objects at you or drive as close as they can to you even if it is 6am on a sunday and there is no other traffic on the roads.

5. Competitive runners in large groups who refuse to share a path with other oncoming runners

6. Cyclists who use both sidea of a shared pathway and ride as fast as they can along the windy paths

• Doc825 Pro 165 posts since
    Feb 24, 2009
    18. Jul 8, 2009 1:23 PM (in response to tcarter83)

when you have a green light to cross and the person who is waiting at their red light wanting to turn waves you the ok for you to cross like they're doing you a favor (don't even have to mention they're on the phone too). umm, sorry- i think i have the right of way here being a pedestrian and a green light! grrrr

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    19. Jul 8, 2009 5:00 PM (in response to tcarter83)

SO many of mine have been addressed, but here they are again:

1. People who don't move to the side of the path, either coming towards me (uh, hello - I WILL run you down, dummy) or who, when I yell out "On your left" or "Coming through" insist on staying where they are or turning around to see just WHAT is it that's on their left or coming through? like it's a mystery.

2. The folks who group up to walk together - four abreast, of course.

3. The bikers/rollerbladers who zip by with about an inch of clearance.

• JasonOrlinsky Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 7, 2007
    20. Jul 8, 2009 7:00 PM (in response to Jim66441)

Oh, glad that I'm not alone on that one.. I say on your left (or right) and people jump and turn around..,WTF!. My biggest pet peeve is simply that people are oblivious to their surroundings and others that are jogging, running, or training.  It's really just a matter of being considerate to others and this country (especially the east coast) has major issues with that. I always want to run people over (especially when they are mozyin' along the path 3-4 wide) but I just don't have the heart!

• RunTedRun Pro 58 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    21. Jul 9, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to tcarter83)

1) Most of what others have stated!

2) ) Pet peeve happens almost every run. I run around San Diego Mission Bay on an ocean/bay boardwalk. It can be busy with walkers, dog walkers, and bikes. However I run in the evenings or early am so it's about 95% fitness people on it. You get in the habit of looking behind you before passing. Anyways there's always one arsewhole who cannot stay on the correct side (it seems to always be a walker, although sometimes it will be another runner), who insists on walking/running on the left side, opposite every one else (basically head on with you not following on the keep right rule, which is clearly outlined on some signs scattered throughout the park). Mind you there's no cars, so the only reason is some weird psycho power trip or I don't know what else. This doubly geeks me up as I have poor vision in my right eye and my peripherial vision sucks so I like to stay to the right and not get into the middle of the path. Most of the time I just plow right into them and play chicken. It's a personal mission I'm on now. I need to mellow out I guess!

3) As someone else pointed out the running clubs/groups that insist on taking up the entire 10' wide sidewalk, 3 - 4 abreast running straight at you. 

• RunTedRun Pro 58 posts since
    Sep 19, 2008
    22. Jul 9, 2009 12:56 PM (in response to bonewoman)

"

"Women with strollers who take up the entire sidewalk and go about .03 MPH."

O.k. pet peeve #4 for me.  BEING PASSED BY THE AFERMENTIONED STROLLER whilest I am struggling on my 10 minuite mile pace.  It's an ego check for sure.

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    23. Jul 9, 2009 1:02 PM (in response to tcarter83)

RunTedRun - I always want to yell at the wrong-siders "Do you drive on the wrong side TOO?"

but usually I'm too out of breath to do anything but mentally swear at them.

And I can top being bested by a stroller - on one of my worse runs, I was passed by a weiner dog. In my defense that little guy was booking along.

• Ellsbird1 Pro 67 posts since
    Jun 23, 2009
    24. Jul 9, 2009 1:56 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Ha ha.  good thread.  My one pet peeve so far is cars parked in the driveway blocking the sidewalk (the driveways are well long enough in my neighborhood for them to pull up and wide enough to park two abreast and not block the sidewalk.).

Now, as primarily a cyclist who just started running, I will give you a cyclist's pet-peeve with regard to runners (getting ready to have stuff thrown at me):  I ride in the road like a thoughtful cyclist going 20 MPH because, well, it's safer for me and for the peds on the sidewalk.  So I am classed as a vehicle - all the rights and responsibilities of cars, stay as far right as is safe/comfotable, ride in the proper direction, yada, yada.  Many runners run on the road in the opposite direction (which is prescribed as safer for peds in the road); however.....they refuse to move out of the road (which they do not have the right of way in) when I approach head on at roughly 20 MPH, so I have to quickly make a decision if it's safe enough and if I have enough time to take the whole lane!  I want to ask them if they would refuse to move if they were in the middle of the entire lane in the path of an oncoming car! 

I always wanted to ask runners why they think this is OK...now I can!  Keep in mind these are Florida ped/bike laws I'm basing this on.  OK - hurl away!!

"I'd rather wear out than rust out."

- Harlan Sanders (Col. Sanders)

• Dru67 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 24, 2007
    25. Jul 9, 2009 4:18 PM (in response to Ellsbird1)

Drivers who back out of their driveways without looking.

Mountain bikers on trails who don't announce they are behind me and I have to dive into poison oak. Also, mountain bikers who don't acknowledge that I have nicely stopped and stepped off the trail so they can pass. A simple thanks or smile or wave wouldn't kill you, dudes.

Ginormous strollers, too. Particularly those that have a four-year-old in them. Why can't kids walk any more?

• galerunz1 Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    26. Jul 28, 2009 11:56 AM (in response to tcarter83)

Weiner dog, ****,,,,, when I first started running a 4 year old hit the chute at the finish line right in front of me!!!!!! NO LIE!!!!!!!!   :_|

• cye Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    27. Jul 28, 2009 12:12 PM (in response to tcarter83)

i hate it when  people will ask you how far u ran, and when people stop you to ask where something is. and the most important when i run i run at night, and people will turn on there brights when they are about to pass me and it blinds me.

• zeroblank57 Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 5, 2009
    28. Jul 28, 2009 1:17 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Most of the things have already been stated.

1. People putting stuff on the sidewalk as if no one walks on it (basketball hoops, trash cans all week long, etc)

2. Cars that try to hit me.

3. People who yell stupid comments at me while I'm running

• ocdmrunner Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 11, 2006
    29. Aug 9, 2009 7:57 PM (in response to tcarter83)

Things that bug me while running:

Dead animals on the side of the road  ,  The bird **** under the bridge , The beautful smells  coming  from the Panaderia as I run by ,  The guy  that work at the gas station that keeps changing  the price for a bottle water on my long runs , and of course the cars that cut me off.........Side note :..One time a car cut me off as I ran  across the crosswalk , he nearly  hit me so I threw my water bottle at his car , after it hit his trunk and bumper  he continued on , and then I realized that I still had 5 + miles to go on my long run and that I needed that bottle...Oh the shame of running over to pick up the water bottle.....  .

1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...