Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8150 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2009 5:38 AM by JoeInTX RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Cara_26.2 Pro 711 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2009 7:01 AM

1/2 Marathon Trainers week of July 12th

Hi Everyone,

Couldn't find the thread for this week so thought i'd start off... hope there's not one lurking somewhere that I missed!

Happy running all,

Cara

1/2 Marathon Trainers Map

1/2 Marathon Trainers Calendar

1/2 Marathon Trainers Facebook

PR's

18/04/2010 Brighton Marathon: 4:23:45

21/02/2010 Sussex Beacon Half Marathon: 1:51:30

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    1. Jul 13, 2009 7:37 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers week of July 12th

Good morning Runners!! 

I've been gone for a bit ...Work called It pays the bills   I was able to keep my weekly schedule in spite of some late hours.

I ran my 9th mile this week. Speed has not improved, but my endurance has definitely improved.  I finished strong, had more energy to burn.  That's  a great accomplishment for me.  

I'm giving up my PT for next month.  I joined a 4 week book camp training program.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Today was my first meet.  It rained a bit, but overall it was a good workout.  My goal is to lose 10 pounds and decrease my 1 mile pace from 10:25.

WELCOME to all new runners joining the group!!!

Chamblin:  Thanks for staring this week's thread.

Yes, I know what you mean about the negatives of running with a partner.  I'm a stickler w/punctuality. So, yes, I was a bit disappointed that  my new partner was late TWICE!! The horror.  I talked to her and we are now on same page.  Moved up the meet time a half hour later....LOL  BTW- The foam roller isn't as easy as I thought, but I think  it's better than the stick in getting the kinks out.  It really felt good when I worked my IT band.

Cyndi  T:  YOU DID IT!!! That's all that matters    I received my bracelet... I absolutely LOVE it!! I wore it the same day for my weekly run.

Robyn129:  It sure helps to have a partner.  And, one the pushes you.  I do think I'm doing better b/c of it J Enjoy your last year in college... good times!!!

Runthenumbers:  I am VERY excited and nervous about VB in September ... it's getting closer and closer!!

Jim66441: LOL on the chipotle pork cheeseburger... I know I always blame it on something.. It's never my fault  if I have a bad run J  But it feels good redeeming yourself on the next run!   Good work on the kettle balls work out!

Spiceggek:  You are an inspiration with all the work you get in.

Runjr:  Good luck on your trainingl!!

RUN HAPPY!!!

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 13, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

hey yall

have been lazy this last week. no running. i cant believe it! i am getting fat. and flabby. oh well.

good job to all who are training and being faithful to schedules

thanks cara for starting us off

when i get back to running i will ........ let you know! LOL

love to all

• squeiladee Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 12, 2001
    4. Jul 13, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to misswendy!)

Hey guys – I’m still around!! (if you even noticed I was gone of course…) Work’s been ridiculous, and we’ve had a sick little one. BUT, I’ve kept on running through it all! Went on a little mini-vaca this weekend in the foothills and I actually did my long run there! 6 miles up and down short and steep hills…there were a few that looked like I would have to rappel down the other side, if I ever got to the top (I skipped those. Lol.)  Oh and to update on the Garmin drama, my husband suprised me with a new one for our anniversary - the 305 with the HRM!  Cheaper than the new ones, but a step up from my old one.  Problem solved!

Question: there’s a 15K this weekend and I’m up to 7 miles (last week) for my LSDs. Do you think it’s ok to try to run it (just to finish)? Or is it a bad idea b/c it’s too soon?

Warias – I understand the work schedule issues! Even affects morning running when you have to stay up too late.

Cara – good job on the 20 miler! Just seems so far out there for me to think I can do that! Maybe some day.

MissWendy – not sure whether to say “you can do it!” to encourage you or what here…

See you guys!

Sheila

5K PR: I Like Ike (6/13/09) 27:14 (1st in age group!)

10K PR: Hottest Half 10K (first 10K)  57:51

Upcoming Races:
    Arts Fest Celebrate the Run 15K (first 15K) 9/19/09
    Fall Classic 5K Trail Run (first trail race) 10/3/09
    DRC Half Marathon (first HM) 11/1/09

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    5. Jul 13, 2009 9:01 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

I certainly learned a lot last week - not least of which was I need the rest day - and even if you don`t rest - you need to not work out for 2 hours the day before a long run !! I also in general need to get more sleep !

15 miles went well Sat - I held a just under 10 mm pace for the whole distance which I ran in Central Park - it`s quite hilly - but it was hot humid and VERY sweaty - I was glad to stop at a little cafe with outdoor seating for some bread and a coffee on the way home.

4 miles this morning which really were recovery miles - ran on the nice flat riverside path - I was very happy with my pacing - just 3 secs fluctuation 10:13 - 10:16 min miles - heart rate was a nice av 151 with a peak of 157. I was dragging when I left the home - but the run itself went very well. Tonight I have a heavy lifting training session which will mostly be upper body and I plan to be asleep by 10pm !

Cara - Thanks for getting us going ! Yup my knee is still behaving !  I plan t hit 22 in training too - I think I do 2 18`s a 20 and a 22 - something like that !

warias I learned at the start of this year that to drop 10lbs you need to get anal about what you eat - weight and measure everything - and it makes a HUGE differance to you running !

Sheila - Happy new garmin !! I think you can handle a 15k if y ou taper a little this week - rest Thurs Fri if the race is Sat or Fri + Sat if the race is Sunday - you`ll mamange the extra 2 miles and you`ll do just fine !

misswendy ... COME ON ! up and at `em !!!

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Robby-B Amateur 25 posts since
    May 29, 2009
    6. Jul 13, 2009 9:14 AM (in response to spicegeek)

Hi all,

I have been reading and running, just not replying.  Everyone seems to be motoring along.  Still on course with training, did my first 9 miler on Sat am, 22 miles for the week, and still everything feels good.  Doing a 5k this weekend with wife, which will be her first race ever.  I am going to pace her and hold her hand a bit.  I'll try and do some shouts this evening when not at work.  Oh and CHEERS for Cara for getting us rolling this week.

Robby

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    7. Jul 13, 2009 10:04 AM (in response to Robby-B)

hi all I did run 12 yesterday with the last 2 miles at marathon pace. The weather has been cool here again.  I started the run yesterday with 60 degrees.  Today recovery run with DW.

runthe#'s - great race!

spicegeek - I am actually looking forward to the 20 and 22 milers.  They are actually not that bad.  I learned that lesson before the long run last year as well.  Last year I did real hard tempo run before the long run and realy struggled.

ezec -  great run!  Hope the 8.2 miler works out.  If you haven't run a HM I would definately get a few in and then consider a full if that is on your to-do-list.  All in all the HM is still my favorite race. 

cara - way to get us going! How were the two days off for the legs?  Plan starts next week, I am on a Yasso and pftizinger modified plan. Mostly the pfitzinger with the yasso hills early on. I think DW is also looking for her marathon outfit. 

misswendy - is the heel almost ready for more running?

shelia - welcome back and great to hear about the garmin. Way to keep running during vacation.  I'm with spicegeek, you need to taper a bit this week if you are going to run it.   That is a good distance to start praticing patience. Most of my errors are from starting too fast and then can't finish strong.  

robby - glad to hear you are on schedule.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• woodwoman Amateur 88 posts since
    Jan 30, 2007
    8. Jul 13, 2009 10:11 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  If you missed the last thread I introduced myself - been over at the Long Haul thread for a long time but always lurked here until now.

I did 8 miles yesterday - meant to do more but it was getting hot - I got out too late and also had to get youngest kid off to a week of camp.  I'm trying to find a 10K in the next couple of months since I don't have a half until November.

Angie

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    9. Jul 13, 2009 11:56 AM (in response to woodwoman)

Welcome Angie!

Congratulations to all those keeping up with their training schedules- I am struggling a bit, shortening my long run again this Sunday, I stopped at 14 miles, should have been 18. Totalled 41.7 miles for the week, but I did get in a short bike ride on Saturday, maybe 8 miles.

weather 74 degrees F today, nice sunny skies. I have a 5k on Wednesday evening., going for 22:30, as if! Well, you never know if you don't try!

Simon.

• runthenumbers Pro 160 posts since
    Sep 26, 2008
    10. Jul 13, 2009 12:33 PM (in response to SimonnR)

Good day, runners:

This am up early ran for a little over 2 hours.  Extended my one circuituous route so that the 9 miles would be 13.  Kept a fairly consistent pace around 9:30.  I will probably be regretting it this evening when I have two hours of workout classes, but it sure felt good this morning!

Warias:  Its good that your endurance has improved.  Anytime you finish and feel that you have more energy to go further means that you can concentrate on speed.  Do you I-pod?  Music with a fast beat helps my speed.  The weight loss will help also.

Cara:  Great 20 miler, and after body pump.  The lunges in my body pump would have destroyed my legs for a 20 miler. Did you notice that legs feel better after a run day after a long.  Works for me.

MissWendy!:  downtime ok, as long as it's not too down.  Get that heel healed.

Sheila:  I'd go for the 15K.  You have the right goal (to finish) and with your LSD's I think you can.  Yea for the new Garmin!

Spice:  Today will be the flip side of your lesson learned for me.  Long run this am, then 2 hrs workout in evening.

Robby-B:  Congrats on the 9 miler this Sat past!

Runjr: Good 12 miler.  I'm amazed that you're out 5 days a week.  Best I've done recently is 4.  With your mpw sounds like a good full training base.

Simon:  Sometimes a shorter run is needed.

Run on

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    11. Jul 13, 2009 1:04 PM (in response to runthenumbers)

Hi everybody! Just had to share that I ran 15 miles yesterday - a new personal record! - although at the end my shoulders were in agony, and I really smelled nasty (TMI?)

I think I've cracked the code for a good run - you all are going to laugh - but it's three donuts, a medium coffee, and at least 8 oz of water.

Anyhow, just had to share. I'll post more later this week, when I'm at the PT job and looking for things to do!!!

• squeiladee Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 12, 2001
    12. Jul 13, 2009 3:51 PM (in response to Jim66441)

Ok, I'm totally bummed.  After reading all your feedback (which was great!), I decided to go for it, but the race is now closed for new registration!!!  Dang.  I guess I'll just hang tight until the 10K I've got planned in August.

5K PR: I Like Ike (6/13/09) 27:14 (1st in age group!)

10K PR: Hottest Half 10K (first 10K)  57:51

Upcoming Races:
    Arts Fest Celebrate the Run 15K (first 15K) 9/19/09
    Fall Classic 5K Trail Run (first trail race) 10/3/09
    DRC Half Marathon (first HM) 11/1/09

• snorth100 Legend 293 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    13. Jul 13, 2009 4:32 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Happy Monday, everyone!  Thx, Cara, for getting us started...  How long was/is Joe's vacation??

Well, I wimped out of the trail run yesterday....it has been so rainy here for the last month and it rained really hard around 4 am Sunday...I really didn't want to run in a muddy mess.  Plus, my DDog woke me up twice in the night because he's afraid of thunderstorms... So, I decided to avoid the chance of twisting an ankle and ran 6.5 miles locally instead!  Short strength workout today.  Early travel tomorrow and Friday - so I'm planning to squeeze in a couple of runs on Wednesday and Thursday while in Memphis.

Cara:  I'm in awe of your 20 miles after a full day of work!!  Actually, I'm just in awe of 20 miles... 

Jill:  you're getting close to your tri...

Jubee:  ask all the questions you want!  You should have PLENTY of time to train for a HM in April. 

Cyndi:  wonderful that you were able to run without pain!!  Go slowly...

Woodwoman:  welcome!  You definitely belong here...

Runjr:  sounds like a nice run along the lake in Milwaukee - was it cool??   I would like to take credit for underestimating my golf game...unfortunately, it was more of just a fluke day!!

Runthe#'s:  nice race report!  Great job by your niece!

Spice:  good job on the 15 miler!  You're scarin' me talking about taking a rest day!!

Lori:  welcome back!!  Great to hear that your full marathon training is going well.  So sorry about the lousy weather in Maine for your vacation.

Warias:  I'm jealous of your bootcamp...  I did bootcamp in FL this winter, but couldn't find one up here.  It's a great workout - I hope you enjoy it!

Wendy:  glad you're getting some rest.  How's the foot doing - is the sock helping??  Is that the one that pulls your toes up?  I've seen that advertised...

Squieladee:  what a nice DH you have!!  Sorry you're too late for the 15k race...

Jim:  good job on your 15 miler!!  I tend to tense up my shoulders as well and have found it helpful to run as tho a string was pulling on the top of my head...keeps my shoulders from coming up around my ears and I have less pain/stiffness.

Hope everyone has a good week!

Sue

• timongirl Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    14. Jul 13, 2009 4:59 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hello,

I started running back in January'09 and I am run/walker. I have done 3 5ks pacing 13:01-15:00 and I did 2-10K's pacing at 14:00-15:40. I would like run a HM in October. I joined a running group but was not effective because most of people in the group runs very fast and is not in my pace which demotivated me alot. I debating and see if I should try another run group or go with the Jeff Galloway training groups.

My hubby is my running partner(and my son in the jogging stroller), and he motivate me. My hubby is my personally cheerleader:x

My goal is finish the HM. Any suggestions. Thank you.

timongirl

"Runners are doers by nature-we're not content to set and let life happen passively."

Race Completed
    ESPN 5K 2/28/09 41:33

Big Peach 5K 5/2/09 47:24

Possum Trot 10K 5/30/2009 1:30:54

Running for Hope 5k 6/27/2009 44:47

Peachtree Road Race 10K 7/4/2009 1:37:59

Old Solider Day 10K 8/1/2009-1:22:32

US 10K 9/7/2009  1:40:36

Atlanta 13.1 10/4/09 03:21:24

Upcoming

Tower of Terror 13K 10/24/2009

Princess Half Marathon March,2010