Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8200 Views 60 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2009 5:38 AM by JoeInTX RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • sunshineangeljrs Pro 127 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 13, 2009 6:34 PM (in response to timongirl)
    Re: 1/2 Marathon Trainers week of July 12th

Happy Monday Everyone!!!!

Thank you Miss Cara for starting us off this week!

Sounds like everyone is doing well; training for me is hitting the prime or something like that (my trainer told me, but I forgot what it was called).  Anyhow good numbers for last week:  Swimming: 1600 yards; Biking:  38 MILES (EGADS!!!  22 miles on Sunday!); Running:  8 miles (boooooooo, but what can ya do?  it's the SCHEDULE) and then Walking(at a brisk pace) 3 1/2 hours!  Not too shabby, huh?  I miss my running, but when I do run, I feel FABO!!!  Super strong;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Oh yeah, I remember NOW,

I AM PEAKING!!!!!!!!!  Weird, but that's what he called it.

Started today GREAT:  1000 yards swimming and 2 1/2 miles running AND 45 minutes brisk walking (at lunch time).

Feel very good and STRONG.  The run was great!  I could have gone further, but I wanted to get in the pool!!!!  And eat dinner at an almost respectable time.  Is 9Pm respectable?

Trainer tomorrow; I will tell him Core.  And then probably more running.........

I am having MORE COMPANY this coming weekend (dang, I have to CLEAN AGAIN!!!), my sister and her family are visiting Pittsburgh for the first time.  I am looking forward to it; but will have to squish my 20 mile bike ride in Saturday morning EARLY before they get here; and then Sunday will be my day off, and THEN (drum roll PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!)  it will be TAPER WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

My adorable robot building son was looking at the Pittsburgh Triathlon website, and he told me that me and my friend were the only ones (STILL) in our age group; and he wrote in an email "Kick her butt!!!"...........aren't sons adorable?

I will catch up with shouts later!  Welcome to all the newbieS!

Love to all!

Jill

• ezec Expert 43 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    16. Jul 13, 2009 7:55 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

well i'm sitting around on my off day bored...so i tried to start some core building with the help of my fiancee...that lasted 10 mins. but i can still run faster then her lol.

warias- good luck with the boot camp tranning. my fiancee did a 6 week and shes in great shape (aerobics/kickboxing/running) and said it was tuff.

cara- an easy 6 before work..i wish i could get up 6 mins before i have to leave for work. i'll get there one day i hope. and as far as running the upcoming race course, it really gave me some confidence and allowed me to work up a "battle plan".

spicegeek- even only having been here a short while, i've learned spicegeek and rest don't go together.

robby- good luck to you and your wife on the upcoming race.

runjr- good job on the 12 but whats a DW? the hartford hm is going to be my first, i know i can run the distance and i would like to do a full but i'm not sure if i'm mentally ready to push it.

angie- best to play it smart in the heat..nice 8 though.

simon- good luck on your 5k. 41 miles and a bike ride. man i'm a slacker.

runthe#s- 13 miles then 2hour workout class. i think i'm hanging out with the wrong people.

jill- i'm tired just reading your posts.

• eponacelt Pro 63 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Jul 14, 2009 3:13 AM (in response to ezec)

Morning all.  I'm so far behind on the shout outs, I'll just have to pick a point and start over...but that will have to wait until later.

I went out for a blazing fast (for me) 3.4 miles this morning.  Any day that I run an overall sub 10mm pace and feel good is cause for celebration.  Not that I was trying to run particularly hard or fast, but it was so cool and lovely, and I felt so great getting out of bed, well, I just couldn't help myself!  I even ran a smidge farther than planned.

This is all a good thing, because this is my first official week of HM training for my November race, and after my dismal runs last week, I was feeling a bit discouraged.  Onward and upward!

I hope you all have great runs and workouts today!

--- Heather

Recent:  11/14/2010  OBX Half Marathon 2:28:15

4/10/2011  Flying Pirate Half Marathon 2:31:15

• snorth100 Legend 293 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    18. Jul 14, 2009 6:20 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Timongirl:  do not get discouraged!  I can see where a running group would be intimidating -- it would be for me (I'm a tad faster than you, but not much!)  I have trained for and run a HM and am now training for my 2nd HM.  I don't worry much about my speed -- I'm running for fitness and to finish!  You have a good support system, with your DH and your child.  I would recommend that you find a training plan that works for you (Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, Jennie somebody) and stick with it. 

Welcome to this group -- you'll get a lot of support here!  Even tho most are speedier, they are very encouraging to us turtles!

Sue

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    19. Jul 14, 2009 8:40 AM (in response to snorth100)

Hello everyone,

Today was the "real"st day of bootcamp:  Not so happy/excited  anymore.  At least I have a break tommorrow until Thursday.

I took a cycle and yoga class last night.  I had a great night sleep.  I  even  have BootCamp homework, am i back in school? augh!

Cara:  good job on your continue success to get out  there and make it happen!  jealous, I can't drink for next 30 days

Misswendy: Time away will recharge you.  Come back soon

Runthenumbers. Great job.  Ipod doesn't do it for me.  When i try listening to fast music (music i like) I want to break down and dance in middle of road instead...LOL... This will not help with PR

JIm664441:  All I can say is that those technical t-shirts sure trap nasty sweat odors...LOL

Squeilaee:  Don't be bummed.  You have the August 10k to look forward to.  Better yet, why not just run a 10k on the day of race?!  I know, I know, running with a crowd of loud & happy people is much better!!!

Timongirl: I run w/the Galloway group http://www.jeffgalloway.com/  the support is amazing and as you know all different levels.  Our faster runners do not take walk breaks, but they run in their separate group.   You should check them out. In the weekdays I run 3x w/a friend for at least 3-4 miles.  You already have a great support at home.  Like Sue said you- there many alternatives, but PLEASE don't get discouraged.  I've been there-I KNOW.  I love running even with walk breaks.  I'm relatively new at running also.  Must start slow and build up. http://www.halhigdon.com/.  You might be interetsed in checking this site http://www.runnersworld.com/  if you want  tips on stretching/sneakers/food.... 

Jill:  LOL... :-)..LOL... You sound like me.  I'm always cleaning when i have visitors over.  I live alone w/my baby Izzie (dog) I get away w/being a bit messy   Cheer to your son for being super supportive...

Heather: AWESOME job on the pace and longer then expected run  

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa

• Robyn129 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    20. Jul 14, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for getting this started Cara!

New York was great this weekend, I even got to see my brother's band play in New Jersey while I was down there, such a great time. Unfortunately it wasn't the healthiest weekend or the most productive in terms of training . It was one of those situations where since I planned nothing (and forgot my wallet in Massachusetts, oops!!) I had no control over where I ate or what I did, AB took care of the planning. I ended up jogging 9.5 miles last Thursday and nothing Fri/Sat/Sun, eeek. When I weighed myself yesterday I had gained 4 pounds not exercising and eating **** for 3 days, ugh.

I totally got back on track yesterday after work though! I ran in double digits for the first time in 2 years!! (the last time I was this dedicated) I ran 12.4 miles at a 11:37 mpm pace. Which means it was my first 2+ hour jog so far! The HM isn't until late Sept, but I am feeling confident I could run 13.1 soon! I really have all of you to thank for keeping me on track; your 20 milers and 15 milers are so inspiring!

Also, I tried the Powerbar gel on the run, not too bad, I mixed it into my water. I'm going to take all of your advice and try other brands too though. I'm thinking 3.5 miles today

Happy running!

Robyn

Keep Running!

Applefest Half Marathon 9/26/09

• runjr Legend 912 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    21. Jul 14, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to Robyn129)

hi all, cross train or rest day for me.  Last night I ran with DW for almost 6 miles. 

angie - are you taking water for refuel on you run?

simon - good luck.

runthe#'s - glad you had a great run. 

jim - 15 miles, are you training for a full? Great run.

sheila - sorry about the race being closed, there are numerous races, if you need a website I can post the link.

sue - I love Memphis.  Have a great trip.  Near the lake in Milwaukee is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than inland.  I will run my long runs in the summer near the lake for that reason.

timongirl - welcome and post often.  Ask as many questions as you like, we are all here to support one another.

jill - at least the house is staying clean.

ezec - DW is dear wife, dd is dear daughter, ds is dear son, etc.  I would run a few HM's first.  When you are my age I needed to knock it off the bucket list sooner than later.

heather  - welcome to training season.

robyn - great run!!!  congrats on the double digit run.  As for the power bar gel just take all the gel and then drink water separately, or did you get the powder and add it to your drink?  You can try the chewy style like clif shot blocks and gu chomps as well.  Just remember to drink some water after you take what works for you for refueling. you are wise in testing numerous things before your race.

take care all.

PR's:
    Susan Komen Race For The cure 5k......... 21:11
    Striders Milwaukee HM ....................... .1:37
    Indy Monumental Marathon ...................3:30 BQ

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    22. Jul 14, 2009 2:01 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Ok so I didn`t quite make it to bed at 10 .. 11:30 .. still an improvement for me ! Last nights lifting session was good I just hate being in the gym at 6pm - I may switch the run and lifting on a  Monday so I lift at 7am and run after work. All I had today was some x training which I chose to do a cardio kettlebell circuit

Here`s a good one - I did this today and it took about 25 mins to run thro once - You do 10 sets of 6 drills non stop. Pick 3 one handed drills and 3 two handed drills - I chose snatches, clean and press and high pulls for my one handed drills ( you could do palm cleans, cleans without the press, lunge to row )  and swings for the 2 handed drills ( true snatches or alternating swings would also work ). You do 10 reps of the two handed drills every set - You are going to start with 10 reps of the 1 handed drill then 9 - 8 - 7 down to 1 -

so set 1

10 swings

20 snatches ( 10 right 10 left )

10 swings

20 high pulls

10 swings

20 clean and press

set 2

10 swings

18 snatches ( 9 right 9 left )

.. and so on

I actually felt really good after this workout - my body felt nice and loose. We`ll see how I feel in  the morning !!

Robby good luck to you and DW at your 5k

runjr I`m wondering how the 20 is going to feel - the 16 I did a few weeks back felt just fine - I think 20 will be OK unless I run it in the park on all the hills !! This week is just 10 miles - I think i`m goinf to start running the last 2 miles of the shorter long runs at marathon pace to see how it feels. I didn`t realise I had to decide on a marathon outfit - I figured whatever didn`t smell too bad by then would be just fine !! LOL

Angie 8 miles this far out from your half is just fine ! you don`t want to burn out !!

Simon Good luck Weds !

runthe#s a long run AND 2 hours work out on the same day ... not even I`m that insane !

Jim I smelt pretty nasty after my 15 miles too !! occupational hazzard !! I don`t know about the donuts the the pre run coffee is a must in my world and I do enjoy my post run coffee

Sue .. yes even I am giving in to a rest day !! - keep in mind I now have 3 days where I`m doing 2 work outs in a day and a long run day which is at least 10 miles - I think I can have a rest day !!

timongirl - you are out there running don`t worry about the pace - as you run more you`ll get faster I promise !! I cut over 2 mins per mile off my pace in 2 years - just keep doing what you love ! Running groups are not for everyone - I tried a group run this past weekend - it was Ok - but really I like one of my 3 running buddies who move around the same pace as me, or my own company. I`m going to try running with my trainer one weekend - he`ll bike or blade with me I think that will work ok too

Jill .. you are so awesome ! I love how excited you are about your training and your race ! and cleaning is overrated ! I have a feeling you`ll be worse at tapering than me if thats humanly possible !

ezec I`m working on that whole rest day thing ! Do you live in CT ?

Heather there is just something nice about that sub 10mm isn`t there !

Warias = not liking that boot camp ??

Robyn Sounds like your training is going very well !

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Jim66441 Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2009
    24. Jul 14, 2009 3:13 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

Hi all! Back again, and tonight promises to be extra slow, so I'm on and posting!

Warias - it's the endurance that's the hard part. I think most people have a sort of general pace that they stick to (I mean, I'm very consistent with my pace and I don't really pay attention to it). The endurance work is really tough, both physically and psychologically. Great work!!! And what was your boot camp homework? I think maybe I don't really want to know...

misswendy - I don't think one week will make a real difference - although you may feel different, one run will convince you that you won't miss a trick!

squeiladee - sounds like you have a good hubby. and congrats on the anniversary!!!

spicegeek - holy cow. You are tearing it up out there!!!

Robby - how did your wife like the race?

woodwoman - hi! and welcome!

timongirl - hi! doing my first HM too. This group is great. You're in the right place!

sunshineangeljrs - I generally only clean when company's coming, although today I roused myself out of my malaise to clean the bathrooms and do some vacuuming. I'd rather be running!

ezec - didn't like the core training? it is a pain (sometimes literally)

eponacelt - isn't that the greatest, when you go for a "X-mile run" but feel so great you tack on a little extra? I love that zone.

robyn - you can do the HM! you're already just about at the mileage - if you can run 9.5, you can run 10 - if you can run 10, you can run 12. and if you can run 12 - you might as well run 13.

runjr - no, not training for a full marathon. although if i had known that I'd be able to do what I've done so far I think I would have registered for it (too late now, maybe next year). I just want to make sure I can run at least 13 before the HM - so I'm ramping up the mileage so that 13 won't feel like as much of a Big Project.

Thanks to all who suggested core training. I've been doing that but I'm still supersore and stiff in my shoulders. For some reason, it's better if every so often I look down at my shoes when running - what I really need to do is save some $$$ to get a massage a few days before the HM. Ran 9 today with a strong headwind (was going to try for ten but just didn't have it in me).

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    25. Jul 14, 2009 4:00 PM (in response to Jim66441)

Jim - you possibly need to strengthen your upper back, shoulders, chest, arms and lats - shoulder presses - rows and the all time no 1 exercise .. PUSH UPS !!!! you can do bench presses if you prefer - you can do pull ups too and lat pull downs  - correct form cleans and deadlifts will also help and will work your legs - but you HAVE to do those right to get benifit - kettlebells are also awsome for that upper back posture. You should throw in the occasional bicep curl and tricep extention too.

I used to do a lunge circuit that also worked the upper body with dumbbells - lunge to bent over row ( row in the lunged position ) , side lunge to  curl ( curl in the standing position ), lateral lunge - ( turn and step side and back ) to shoulder press ( press in the standing position ) - 2 in one drills - more bang for the buck

Squat thrust with a push up and a jump are killer poower drills again working your legs but getting some chest work in

If you want a good alternative cardio workout that will help you - take up boxing - before I started my marathon plan I used to hit pads ( and once in while my trainer ) once a week - it`s a killer workout and it will help your upper back

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• ezec Expert 43 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    26. Jul 14, 2009 8:35 PM (in response to Cara_26.2)

hey guys- i got out today with the soon to be DW on her upcoming 5k road course (with some good hills).. and ran a pretty good fartlek session. only did the 3.1 miles but i punched it to a 6:30 pace for a bit a couple times and felt pretty good but i'm glad tommorow is an easy day

warias - bootcamp homework? wow lol

robyn - i'm jealous of the 12 miler i won't be able to go for double digits for 3 weeks due to planned long runs and a race.

spicegeek - yeah i'm in ct.

cara - great job on the 10...i've noticed when i'm really tired once i warm up i zone out faster and end up running faster then i want on my east runs

well i'm off to try some core, hopefully more then 10 mins this time.

• timongirl Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    27. Jul 14, 2009 9:42 PM (in response to ezec)

Thank you so much for all the encouragement.

Felt cranky all last week and the last two days. Work stressed me too much. Finally, the hubby watch the little man and sneak out for a run. Manage to do 2.5 miles. I finally realize that may be running is not only what I love to do, but it helps me release my stress.

Questions: Is it possible to walk/run a HM? Is it a realistic?

"Runners are doers by nature-we're not content to set and let life happen passively."

Race Completed
    ESPN 5K 2/28/09 41:33

Big Peach 5K 5/2/09 47:24

Possum Trot 10K 5/30/2009 1:30:54

Running for Hope 5k 6/27/2009 44:47

Peachtree Road Race 10K 7/4/2009 1:37:59

Old Solider Day 10K 8/1/2009-1:22:32

US 10K 9/7/2009  1:40:36

Atlanta 13.1 10/4/09 03:21:24

Upcoming

Tower of Terror 13K 10/24/2009

Princess Half Marathon March,2010

• misswendy! Legend 1,056 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jul 15, 2009 6:41 AM (in response to timongirl)

hey yall

thanks for the encouragement. please do not send spicey to kick me ***

i couldnt stand the workout!

my heel is not much better. the sock is the one that pulls up toes overnight to let the plantar fascia (sp) relax. maybe over time it will help.

tues i ran 4.6

wed i ran 3

better than zero, right!?!?!?

i am headed up to hang out with my mother and siblings for a couple of days. (lorie, thats causeyville!)

love to all

• warias Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    29. Jul 15, 2009 6:53 AM (in response to timongirl)

Good morning runners!

I'm in PAIN... my whole back hurts like **** from bootcamp.  On the good side of things.. yesterday i ran my normal 4 miles, but GUESS WHAT?! All my work is FINALLY paying off... I was doing 10 minute miles....:-) ... I'm sorry, but I had to stop and do a little victory dance .while taking a walking break..LOL my friend was laughing at me, but who cares// I'm GETTING FASTER!!!   I'm only try the speed when i do short runs of 5 or less.  I would never risk going faster with longer runs since i'm training and the goal is to be injury free until after Sept 6!! can i get a Woo Hoo?!! 

on that note:  does anyone know what i can do for this TIGHT back/shoulder area?  hot bath-done, epson salt- done ...what else?

Spicegeek- I like bootcamp, but it's kick ***.. I Guess that's the point?! LOL I'll get used to it.  I REALLY, REALLY want to get a kettle bell- what size for a beginner?

You said your back felt loose?? how did you feel the next day?  I need some stretching exercises for my shoulders/back.  They seem to always be tight.  The massages only last for so long.

Cara:  Bootcamp homework is choice of multiple exercises.. 100 sit ups/ 100 pushups/ 100 lunges/100 squats .. etc...If i forget my name tag or book log - extra Homework..:-( 100 being the magic number

Timongirl: It's very realistic to run/walk a HM.  Not sure which one your doing, but there's a lot of people simply walking HMs.  I know i need some type of exercise in the morning to help me get through the day at work. ... stressful times and all hang in there

Misswendy: Great job on getting some runs in .... enjoy the family.

Thunder Road- NC -Half- Dec 12, 2009 ------------ 2:26:20
    Turkey Trot -8K NC- November 24, 2009-------------51:06
    Dowd YMCA - NC-HALF- November 7, 2009------2:36:52
    Runway 5K run -NC - October 31, 2009 -------------- 29:15
    Rock & Roll VB Half- September 6, 2009 --------- 2:51:24
    Racefest 10K -NC- april 12, 2009 ---------------------1:23: 01
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k SC -4/4/09-----------1:33:38

~ upcoming races~
    Flying Pig Marathon - Cincinnati, Ohio - May 2, 2010
    Cooper River Bridge Run 10k - March 27, 2010
    Riverfront Race Festival HM- North Charleston, SC - January 16, 2010

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare" ~ Juma Ikangaa