Skip navigation

4132 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2009 8:32 PM by Stevemustangred
lv2trot Pro 164 posts since
Jul 9, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 13, 2009 6:13 PM

New to Running - MCM 10k this Year - Misc Random Questions

This is a great site - I hope you all don't mind my newbie questions.  I didn't see a category for the MCM 10k.  I look forward to the expert advice from experienced runners.

- I read the fine print enough to see that you can't run w/an iPod or anything else electronic.  How many run w/o the music all the time?

- Are participants allowed to wear watches?  Seems it would be a time motivator    so I'm guessing no, but didn't see anything specific about it.

- I don't picture myself ever running to win - but always to finish.  Being new to participating in an event like this - I'm guessing I'll be at the VERY back of the line (ok w/me).  Is the course well marked?

- I hadn't ever thought about a 1/2 marathon (didn't know there was such a thing), and really want to run the full MCM in 2010.  Is it unrealistic as a beginner runner to try a 1/2 prior to the MCM, or run that far on my own in one day - and then still do the MCM?

~ Thanks!

If you can't stand behind our troops, Feel Free to Stand in Front of Them.

~ Speed is fine, Accuracy is Final. ~

MCM10k October'09 (1:28:41)  1st race ever

R2R10k - March '10 (1:15:41)

35th MCM 2010!  ~ 26.2 - Is It In You? (6:18:39)

Next up, so far:  run4virginiawine - Destination Run ~ 1/2 Marathon ~ 4 June 2011

• DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

Welcome! I hope we can answer some of your questions

• I read the fine print enough to see that you can't run w/an iPod or anything else electronic.  How many run w/o the music all the time?

Many people run with iPods because the rule is not strictly enforced. However, I would suggest not running with headphones to get the full experience (the sights and fans are incredible!). Plus, the MCM is a big race and will likely be crowded- if you choose to run with music can I suggest that you wear a headphone in only one ear so that you can hear the people around you (e.g. if someone is trying to pass).

• Are participants allowed to wear watches?  Seems it would be a time motivator;-)* so I'm guessing no, but didn't see anything specific about it.

Yep, wear a watch.

• I don't picture myself ever running to win - but always to finish.  Being new to participating in an event like this - I'm guessing I'll be at the VERY back of the line (ok w/me).  Is the course well marked?

The Marines are super efficient. The course will be well marked and with lots of people around you shouldn't have a problem.

• I hadn't ever thought about a 1/2 marathon (didn't know there was such a thing), and really want to run the full MCM in 2010.  Is it unrealistic as a beginner runner to try a 1/2 prior to the MCM, or run that far on my own in one day - and then still do the MCM?

I'm not sure I understand all of your question. I went from not running a mile in January 2007 to running MCM in October 2007- you have plenty of time to get ready for MCM 2010. If you want to run MCM I would recommend running a 1/2 to get used to racing longer distances. Plus, they're just fun! Runners are a great group.

~ Thanks!

Welcome!

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• zoom1 Legend 288 posts since
    Jan 22, 2008

You should join a running club. Not sure where you live but in most major cities there are tons of running clubs out there. Many local running stores will have one established. You can google up clubs that are not affiliated with running stores like the road runners. Some running clubs meet during the work week while others will do a combo of weekend long runs and weekday short runs. Not all running clubs are geared towards marathons. Many have programs set up for shorter distances. Some running clubs are free to join while others may cost a little bit of money.

The benefit of a running club is that there are lots of expertise there for you to draw from. Some have coaches who can help you while all will have someone in there who has been running races for quite a few years. The club will also keep you motivated in running and will allow you to have structure. The more fun that you have in running, the more likely that you will stick with it. Don't be intimidated about joining one. Runners come in all shapes, sizes, paces, backgrounds, and levels. Runners are friendly bunch of people. If you ask them questions, they will more than happy to assist you.

Are participants allowed to wear watches?

Not only do they wear watches but many will wear gps watches to help them pace.  Google up Garmin 305.

-

Is the course well marked?

Most major long distance road races (i.e., marathons) are on roads that are closed to cars.  They have water stations with fluids, gels, and other types of food/nutrition to help you get through the race.   No matter how slow you think that you are, there are always people around you.  There will be volunteers on the course to help direct you.  There will be fans along the streets.  There will be signs, police, traffice cones, etc.  Don't worry about getting lost

-

Is it unlrealistic for a beginner to try a 1/2 marathon before the marathon ? 

Are you sure that you phrased this properly ?  Many beginners will run a half marathon before the full.   However, you don't need to run a half marathon before a marathon.   If you train for a marathon properly, many of your long weekend runs will be longer that the half marathon distance.  What running a half marathon before a full marathon will buy you is the experience of being in a race situation and having to deal with crowds, water stations, cheering section, etc.

• neilro51 Expert 54 posts since
    Oct 9, 2007

I understand your concerns, as an older runner I have been running for less than 2 yrs. I came to this site with your same questions about the 10k. A word of caution from this point on. They convinced me that I would have more fun by running the full marathon. I am now immersed in training for the 09 MCM. They are a great group, very helpful and lots of good advice. I am still struggling after surgery, trying to get back on track. I will make it and am looking forward to this Oct. So, welcome to the group!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

neilro51 wrote:

I understand your concerns, as an older runner I have been running for less than 2 yrs. I came to this site with your same questions about the 10k. A word of caution from this point on. They convinced me that I would have more fun by running the full marathon. I am now immersed in training for the 09 MCM. They are a great group, very helpful and lots of good advice. I am still struggling after surgery, trying to get back on track. I will make it and am looking forward to this Oct. So, welcome to the group!

I can't believe you fell for the old "Running a full marathon is FUN!" line. hee hee hee. Dear dear. If I get back on this board, I'll probably be running MCM '10. I must go back into hiding now!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

- I am unsure the toll it will take on me physically (I'm 39 & holding). .

Hey! You're the same age as Jerry!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • Noskillzrunning Pro 104 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009

Pick a half a couple of months out and pick a training program and get started.

I hadn't run in 13 years and my last was a PFT. I started up about a year ago and run 5 days a week now. You'll be amazed at how fast the body can build up the milage and don't worry the time will start to come down and it will get easier. Finishing the half was one of the greatest accomplishments thus far and I cant wait to run the MCM this year.

Give it a shot you got nothing to lose except some time spent on the trail.

Check out the local running store and see if they offer a group. It is a lot easier to keep the motivation up when you're in a group.

Chris

My sport is your sport's punishment

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

IPODs - I used to run with headphones.... but when I decided to do a marathon, I hung them up figuring I'd better get used to my own thoughts.

Seven months later I don't think I'd enjoy listening to music while I run.  I really like focusing on my running, watching stuff, and doing all the planning and reviewing conversations for the upcoming day...whatever is on my mind.  I've used the time to memorize certain scripture verses, pray, and just be aware of creation.  I've also used the time to figure out some rather challanging situations at work.  Of couse...on the middle miles I do fall back on those internal songs and mantras that just keep the feet moving, so I guess it's a mixed bag! 

Watches - Yup, I use a Garmin and check it about every quarter mile to make sure I'm on task.  Usually I have to slow down the first half and am good the second half of whatever the run is.

I think everything else has been extensively covered...well, those had been too but I am opinionated.

Grace and peace and good luck!

Mike 

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007

No to the ipod question.  I have seen too many runners nearly get hit by cars.  I need to pay as much attention to my surroundings as possible.

There are many training plans for marathons.  You need to start with a good base of about 5 miles, 3 days a week minimum, comfortably.  To build up to a marathon takes 6-4 months of focused training.  A suggestion would be to run a half marathon when you get to that distance in your marathon training plan. 

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points