Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

614 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2009 6:35 AM by lenzlaw
toga4 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 14, 2009 8:10 PM

Training Question

Ive been running around 5-6 miles a day, 5 days a week to build up my distance. Recently, towards the end of my run or when I run faster, I 'loose control' of my legs. Its a strange feeling and Ive never had a similar problem before. I am frustrated because it forces me to slow down before I am aerobically or physically tired. Has anyone else experienced this or know what could be causing it? I think it may have something to do with my hip flexors which tighten sometimes, but Im not sure. I also notice it more when I train on the treadmill. Thanks!

• Kegan36604 Pro 84 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    1. Jul 15, 2009 4:00 AM (in response to toga4)
    Re: Training Question

Sounds like it could be lactic acid build up (sometimes called (lactate threshold).  Basically you're training too hard for your current fitness level.  One solution is keep your current training distance, but slow down.  With time (read that: training), the LT will reduce and speed will increase.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    2. Jul 15, 2009 6:19 AM (in response to toga4)

Unless you are running really hard for 5 - 6 miles I don`t think it`s lactic acid build up

You`re legs can only move as fast as your arm can pump - do you do any upper body training ? any weight training at all ??

Aside from all that you seem to imply you are running a pretty brisk 5 -6 miles every day - this is not the optimal way to train - you want to mix slow long runs, tempo runs , hill work and sprints - you need recovery days - i`d drop one run and replace it with a cross training day - biking, swimming something like that, Add some weight training 2 -3 days a week - one day heavy full body, one day endurance and one day movement / power - plyometic drills. Make one run slower and longer - make one run 1/4 mile sprints with a 2 min break between sprints  or hill repeats - run the days after your sprints and long runs at a VERY easy pace - these are recovery runs - maybe even drop them back to 3 or 4 miles ( move the "lost" miles to your long run ) - and make one run as it is now

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    3. Jul 15, 2009 7:15 AM (in response to toga4)

Alternate hard runs with easy runs to recover. Your'e running on tired and not recovered muscles,

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    4. Jul 15, 2009 2:45 PM (in response to toga4)

I'm going to ask the stoopid question.  What does "loose control" of my legs mean?  Pain?  Just can't lift them again?  Legs won't support your weight?  They become all wobbly?  Cramps?  Tingling?  They won't do what you tell them to?  I don't understand exactly.  It seems everyone is assuming you're pushing too hard, which is very possible, but I'm not sure I've heard the true symptom yet.

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • RocketRunner87 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    6. Jul 15, 2009 7:38 PM (in response to toga4)

Are you warming up, sretching, and cooling down properly?

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    7. Jul 16, 2009 4:54 AM (in response to toga4)

Hmmm, very curious.  This group has taught me to vary both my speed and my distance.  There are shorter faster days, longer slow days and recovery days in my schedule.  There are multiple websites that have training plans for free.  I happen to use Smart Coach from Runner's World.  It tends to be a little faster than Hal Higdon or the McMillin paces that are other options.  Mixing it up and slowing it down may help some.

The pain on the outside of the knee makes me nervous about possible ITB (iliotibial band syndrome).  You can look that up anywhere.  Not an easy thing to recover from and will need at least some reduction in intensity if not complete time off.

Your sensation of not being able to control your leg movement has me completely confused.  I guess fatigue is the most likely.  It could potentially also be glycogen depletion, but your distances shouldn't bring you to that point.  I also wonder what your running form looks like, ie. how long is your stride.  Are you changing your stride length as you get tired to compensate.  Are you possibly landing differently as you get tired.  I've noticed that I have a pain in my knee that if I keep perfect form, doesn't bother me at all.  If my form slips as I get tired, I'll get a painful twinge.

You certainly bring up an interesting problem.  Where's Len when we need him?  I'd be curious to see what he had to say.  Good luck.

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,424 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    8. Jul 16, 2009 6:35 AM (in response to toga4)

I was also wondering what "lose control" meant. Your explanation sheds a little more light. It sounds a lot like fatigue, but if you can't figure it out, may be worth a trip to the doctor. I guess I have a few other questions and suggestions.

- What changes have you made in your workout routine lately? More or higher weights, more reps, longer bike rides?

- Ditto on your diet - any changes? One presumes you're getting a good, balanced diet and sufficient calories. That is, you're not on a serious diet.

- How is your hydration? Your goal is light lemonade colored urine, 24X7.

- Here's a couple good articles on ITB syndrome, which you may be developing based on what you said about the knee.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml#iliotibial

http://coastalsportsmedicine.com/articles/iliotibial-band-syndrome.htm

- Last is to change up your running routine, as others have suggested. Go easy some days, hard others, basically alternating. And be sure you're getting one rest day a week.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points