Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4033 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2009 8:50 AM by bikerskierboarder
LadyPhoenix7 Amateur 13 posts since
Jul 8, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2009 1:29 PM

Pain down my inner thigh

I presently have pain on the inside of my upper leg, from inner thigh

nearly to my knee. Every time I heel strike (even when not running) my

leg feels like it has a metal rod in that area instead of normal fluid

muscle and ligament/tendons. I called my Physical Therapist and he said

(over the phone) it sounded like a groin strain / groin pull, also

called an adductor strain. When I saw him in person, however, he wasn't convinced anymore. Now he suspects nerves, and therefore possibly a back issue? The only thing that has helped is changing from (work) heels to flats.

Has anyone else has had the sensation of having a tight rod from groin to knee on the inner thigh? I trust other runners above all else, CAN ANYONE HELP?

Thanks beforehand for any thoughts or help!I I HAVEN'T RUN FOR WEEKS! :O

Lady Phoenix

“To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence.”        - Arthur Schopenhauer

• Corkienee Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    1. Jul 23, 2009 11:05 AM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)
    Re: Pain down my inner thigh

go see an orthopedic/sports medicine doc.... I like DO-trained docs because they could possibly manipulate whatever it is.  Totally sounds like a pinched nerve somewhere, be it in your back or a muscle compressing it.  (The front of your thigh is supplied by the Femoral nerve.  Look that up and see if it describes your pain)

good luck

• bikerskierboarder Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 7, 2009
    3. Jul 24, 2009 4:04 PM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

In my opinion you should go see an orthopedic surgeon.  I am no doc, but I dealt with similar leg issues for 4 yrs. before an orthopedic surgeon figured it out.  I had a torn hip labrum with a lesion on my femor.  I had surgery 5 weeks ago and the pain I had in my groin has subsided dramatically.  Before the surgery I went to p.t. for 1 yr, chiropractic for 1 yr. and tried other fixes to no avail.   Most of the time when ppl have pain in the groin its because the groin is having to compensate for the hip not working properly, at least thats what I've been told by arguably the best orthopedic surgeon in the world (Marc Philippon and Leslie Vidal).  Well theres my two cents, I hope it helps.  P.s my pain started in my groin and felt the way you are describing.

Good luck!

Feb 7, 2009
    5. Jul 27, 2009 5:47 PM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

Wow, I'm sorry your going through this junk!  I'll keep my mouth shut about the docs'!  

Dr. phillipon told me he thinks that some ppl who are highly athletic as a child tend to develop these extra bone growths (cam lesions) and I was one of the lucky few.  So the lesion on my femur was grinding into my labrum causing impingment and tearing the labrum as well.  A lesion can be detected from a properly taken x-ray.  So at  the time of surgery dr. vidal went in and shaved the lesion off and repaired the labrum as well did a release of the psoas muscle. 

As far as the femoral nerve I don't know anything about it, but I will ask her when I go in to see her in a few days.  I am 6 weeks post op and doing well with at this point no pain other than what is to be expected.  My adducter magnus is still tight and causes a little bit of pain, but supposedly as the hip gets stronger the adducter will begin to release.  Maybe your adducter is just really really tight and inflamed because it is doing more work, because your hip is not functioning 100%.   I sure hope you get better soon.

How did you hurt yourself initially?  How did you tear your labrum?  Who was your surgeon?

cheers

Feb 7, 2009
    7. Jul 30, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

I can't believe how fast you were up and running again!   Its been 6 weeks since my surgery and I can only dream of running again.   I was on 2 crutches for 2 weeks and then 1 crutch for 1 week, and I was in excellent shape before the surgery.  She had me on the bike 3 days after my surgery and said I need to be on it everyday there after to help with recovery.

As far as the surgery is concerned she went in with her scope and shaved the lesion off my femur, released my psoas, and repaired my labrum.  They are telling me the reason I am not as far a long as most ppl would be after hip surgery is because she shaved off so much bone, oh and because the psoas was released (cut). My labrum was fraying, and not torn so I suppose that helped my situation.   So I've been doing a lot of sitting around, some cycling and a little bit of golf.  I can't wait to get back out there and start really pushing it again.  Its been mentally tough dealing with all this garbage for 4 1/2 yrs.

It sounds like you know more about all this stuff then your p.t, whats up with that?  Have you figured out whats going on with your inner thigh? Is it the same, better, or worse?   I hope your getting better and I wish you the best so you can hit the roads or trails hard again soon!

au revoir

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points