Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1744 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 16, 2009 6:26 AM by pjbones RSS
lifl2003 Pro 129 posts since
Sep 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 2, 2009 7:08 AM

1st real injury

I have suffered my first real injury and I am bummed out.  Last Friday I finished my normal 5 miler.  That afternoon I developed cramp like pain on the side of my foot which radiated under the foot too. 

I rode the bike for 15 miles on Saturday and was pain free.

I ran 6 miles on Monday as it did not hurt.  Then that afternoon the pain returned. I COULD not run on tuesday so I went to the podiatrist.

Diagnosis: Inflammation of my Peroneus tendon.  He injected medication inot the tendon and told me 2 days with no running.  I am going to try tomorrow.

he also said that I have some of the highest arches he has ever seen which probably cause the problem.  I have always run in Nike Air Pegasus 25's and have liked them but the Dr did not.  he wants me to switch to ASICS or NB for the arch support and the fact that I have a really wide foot. 

Any feedback from anyone? I can't wait to run tomorrow.  I have been so bummed the last 2 days.

"I can't means I won't"

My Blog - http://http://runningonli.blogspot.com/

• jsolo Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    1. Jul 2, 2009 3:20 PM (in response to lifl2003)
    Re: 1st real injury

I ran into something similar last summer and have always ran in Asics but need to add better inserts into the shoe.  Then when that didnt help i went and had arch supports made "orthodics" and since then i have been running pain free.  Do a lot of after un icing also i would take my shoe off and put my bare foot on a frozen bag of pee's.

• LadyPhoenix7 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 8, 2009
    3. Jul 8, 2009 7:29 AM (in response to lifl2003)

I know this sounds odd; but I'm actually happy for you! All runners get injured, so you've hit a milestone, truly. When I had my first injury I thought that it would be the end of my runnning. I was immediately scared, desperate and angry. I continue to do that EVERY SINGLE TIME I get injured. 2 major surgeries and thousands of hours of PT (and also many mnay thousands of miles later) I am sitting here nursing a groin strain from one of the best runs of my life. But I STILL go through what you are going through. Denial, aggression and then finally, acceptance. One day off an injury is not resting an injury. But, just like me, you'll have to learn that for yourself.

If at this point you are not totally ****** off at me for saying all of this, (as I know you want to run NOW!) I can offer some advice in your "highest arches" problem. Idealt with the exact problem when I was 19, and have been wearing a custom made pair of orthodics, done by a podiatrist and foot surgeon nearly 15 years ago. I wear them every day, and run on them EVERY RUN. They were expensive, but obviously worth every penny, as most of my weeks I average 60-70 miles a week. I don't know if a simple pair of sneakers/ brand change is going to address your issue sufficiently if your arches are truly that high. When I got the orthodics I changed from Nike's to Saucoony's to make up for the room and to give me extra padding as the orthodics are fairly rigid. It is GREAT shoe. 

Try to think of going to see a Foot MD, or taking rest days, or doing PT as PART of the running experience. It is a looooooong hard lesson to learn, but it is well worth it in the "long run."

Best of luck! (And if you happen to be in the Boston area, let me know; I can reccommend the Dr.)

LadyPhoenix

Lady Phoenix

“To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence.”        - Arthur Schopenhauer

Jul 8, 2009
    5. Jul 8, 2009 8:33 AM (in response to lifl2003)

Nice to hear from you Mike! Thanks for my first response.

Wish me luck with my current injury, perhaps my turning point will come soon too....

Best of Luck with your Gettysburg run! And AWESOME that you're a Civil War buff!

Run on!

Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix

“To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence.”        - Arthur Schopenhauer

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    7. Jul 10, 2009 10:32 AM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

Lady Phoenix,

Your words ring so true.  I find myself feeling exactly the same way now as I am nursing my first real injury (a hamstring tear).  I've been off running for 2 weeks (starting my 3rd week tomorrow) but have been bikeing 12 - 15 miles a day to cross train but miss running terribly.  I will get back to it but am afraid like you mentioned.  I also am a little afraid to start running again (fear of reinjury)....its so complicated...isn't it.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Jul 8, 2009
    8. Jul 10, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Dear Cindi;

It's the bitter-sweet part of our sport, isn't it! Every runner experiences injury, we work through it, learn from it, and are the better for it.

But we hate every millisecond of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why I call myself Lady Phoenix - just keep rising from your own ashes, better and better each time.

Nest week I get back on the treadmill after 4 weeks off... luck to both of us!

LadyPhoenix

Lady Phoenix

• pjbones Rookie 14 posts since
    Dec 28, 2006
    9. Jul 15, 2009 3:03 PM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

Hello all,

I'm also suffering from my first real injury -- hip bursitis -- and I haven't been able to run in 9 weeks.  Just got word from the doc today it will likely be another 3 weeks.  At first I was so depressed, confused, scared and just so sad.  Now I've accepted it and have learned to be patient (and like some others have mentioned - I'm almost scared to run again for fear I will re-injur!).  But it hasn't been an easy process.  In case anyone else is suffering - the thing that has helped me most was seeing a chiropractor who specializes in ART.  Has worked wonders.  But it sure helps knowing you're not alone out there when you're forced to stop running.  I can't wait to get back on the road again!

Happy trails everyone!

Jul 8, 2009
    10. Jul 16, 2009 5:49 AM (in response to pjbones)

Dear pjbones;

9 weeks for your "first  real injury" is a bummer. I'm curious about hip bursitis though! To someone who's just had hip surgery it sounds interesting (really!)

What is ART? I am afraid of chiropractors, truly, as I saw one for 2 years and about 7 years later I am told my spine is FAR too flexible, pliable.... loose, basically. And I HATE core work... darn it.

Good luck with the bursitis; my knee bursitis (years ago) was painful in the extreme but responded SUPER well to PT andweight lifting therapy and I haven't heard from it since! :)There is hope!

Ladyphoenix

Lady Phoenix

• pjbones Rookie 14 posts since
    Dec 28, 2006
    11. Jul 16, 2009 6:26 AM (in response to LadyPhoenix7)

Hi Ladyphoenix,

I've had small bouts with tendonitis that has kept me off the trail for a few days - but nothing like this.  The doctor actually told me that the burisits is likely a symptom of another injury -- likely to soft tissue, muscles, or tendons.  Their theory is that it all started with ITB symdrome and just had a domino effect from there.  It's been rough.  I was very skeptical of chiropractors too -- some people swear by them and some people think they're quacks -- but reading a lot of forums like this one, I came across several posts of people who had a lot of success with ART at a chiro, so I figured I'd give it a try.  It seriously has helped me more than anything else.  ART stands for "Active Release Technique."  Here's a link to a web site with more information.  I did a search for chiropractors in my area, found out if they were ART trained, and just gave it a shot.  If you live in the Boston area, I can give you his name.  I'm going back tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.  As you can imagine, I am SO looking forward to getting back out running again!

http://www.activerelease.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...