Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3129 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 19, 2009 8:40 PM by pmrsports RSS
abaldman Rookie 3 posts since
Jun 5, 2002
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2009 9:51 AM

Sharp pain in lower left side of calf/shin - please identify tendon!

I marked an "X" where I have a sharp, isolated pain on a tendon it seems. I can totally run but the pain builds just slightly with time, but not to the point where I have to stop or even slow down. Icing seems to help after. I am afraid with repeated running and longer distances that it will burst or tear.

I first got this pain like 3 months ago. I took days off and it seemed to get better but it would always come back. Then I actually didn't run for almost 3 weeks due to having an appendectomy.  I thought it would be healed once I started running again. I have been running for 3 weeks, about 20-25 miles. Now it is back on my 3rd week of running.

I don't think it is my achilles tendon since it is not on the back of my leg. It is on the side connecting to the calf. Soleus? Fibularis longus tendon? It's on the inside about 5 inches up from my ankle bone? Anyone know what this tendon is? The pain is isolated in one place on the tendon. A guy at the running store told me what it was in early June but I forgot! PLease help me identify this injury? I am going to head to the doctor's but I wanted some feedback. I can run on it, but I am worried that I will not be able to do more than 7-8 miles at a time. Hoping for a fall marathon. 

Check out my running/life blog - Marathon Life

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points