Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20875 Views 79 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2013 5:43 AM by OlderpersonyoungHeart RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • RunGaloRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jul 22, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to Harper028)
    Re: Running shorts... immodest?

I wear running shorts for running and I am not even crazy about those shorts shorts as all I get when I wear them is a lot of chaffing, so when I do wear them, Body Glide is a must for me. Now, I have been made feel uncomfortable because I do prefer to run in tight shorts -like bike shorts length-. I usually wear them with a long shirt so that the shorts are bit less revealing. Where I live though, people seem to get ofended for the "exposure" as most male runners in my bible belt area wear the -I can't stand-  baggy below the knee shorts or even long loose pants only. In winter I also do not hesitate to wear my running tights even though these same people make me feel like I am practicaly naked. But I do have good legs and I can wear these garments. One more reason I can't wait to move back to Chicago, where I just become one in the crowd!

One other thing that kills me is that even in my bias macho area, women can wear as little clothing as possible and not big deal. I am a lot faster than those women in my area and I should not be judged because I need to be comfortable to run as fast.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    61. Jul 22, 2009 3:53 PM (in response to Harper028)

This is truly the funniest string I've ever read....if the shorts that guy was talking about was the pair in the first picture...then shame on him for wearing them to a family event.  I don't care what you wear to run but please be considerate.  I wear 4" compression shorts under my running shorts or sweat pants....I don't want the neighbors gawking and I don't want to pull my shorts out of my butt the entire run.....but this is hysterical!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Aug 11, 2008
    62. Jul 23, 2009 3:45 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Ok so this am it was ridiculously hot and humid in NJ and after about 2 miles I was drenched and knew it was time to remove some clothes or I'd croak.....so off came the sweat pants and low and behold I had only the compression shorts on.....good thing it was like 5am and on the dark side....I laughed at myself the whole way and figured well at least I'm not at a family picnic....LOL

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• JoeInTX Legend 1,767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    63. Jul 23, 2009 11:35 AM (in response to cyndi t)

I wear compression shorts (or tights) when running, even commando at that!  However I am nowhere near like the guy in that first photo!     It's comfortable and nobody seems to care.

• 26point2miles Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    64. Jul 23, 2009 12:55 PM (in response to Harper028)

Try to remember this. Running shorts are for.... RUNNING! Running shoes are for ... RUNNING! Running gear is for... RUNNING! Would you expect to see any other athlete sitting around in their uniform when not engaged in their sport? A baseball player, football, etc. etc.? So modesty aside, when you are not running, don't wear running attire. The one exception is a race t-shirt but only after the race and if you finished.

• RunGaloRun Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 28, 2007
    65. Jul 23, 2009 1:32 PM (in response to 26point2miles)

Ditto!

Dec 14, 2007
    66. Jul 24, 2009 6:23 AM (in response to RunGaloRun)

RunGaloRun wrote:

I wear running shorts for running and I am not even crazy about those shorts shorts as all I get when I wear them is a lot of chaffing, so when I do wear them, Body Glide is a must for me. Now, I have been made feel uncomfortable because I do prefer to run in tight shorts -like bike shorts length-. I usually wear them with a long shirt so that the shorts are bit less revealing. Where I live though, people seem to get ofended for the "exposure" as most male runners in my bible belt area wear the -I can't stand-  baggy below the knee shorts or even long loose pants only. In winter I also do not hesitate to wear my running tights even though these same people make me feel like I am practicaly naked. But I do have good legs and I can wear these garments. One more reason I can't wait to move back to Chicago, where I just become one in the crowd!

One other thing that kills me is that even in my bias macho area, women can wear as little clothing as possible and not big deal. I am a lot faster than those women in my area and I should not be judged because I need to be comfortable to run as fast.

Totally agree!

• LadyPhoenix7 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 8, 2009
    67. Jul 24, 2009 7:21 AM (in response to 26point2miles)

+26point2miles: "Try to remember this.

Running shorts are for.... RUNNING! Running shoes are for ... RUNNING!

Running gear is for... RUNNING! Would you expect to see any other

athlete sitting around in their uniform when not engaged in their

sport? A baseball player, football, etc. etc.? So modesty aside, when

you are not running, don't wear running attire. The one exception is a

race t-shirt but only after the race and if you finished."+

SO what are sweatpants for, just sweating? Tennis shoes just tennis? Do we need to buy 10 pairs of sneakers for each activity? Granted runners are a unique lot in that I wouldn't wear my runnning shoes for anything else, but that is a wear and tear issue, not a modesty or "proper attire" issue. Let's get real here - our running shorts (at least mine are) are probably the most comfortable thing in our wardrobes. And they remind me of running; a sense of comfort and peace. I wear them EVERYWHERE, and I don't think people even know they are ::gasp:: running shorts:: - they are just shorts. It's hot - I wear shorts. I'm not going to even get in to t-shirts or other tank top above the waist gear; there's far less modesty, (even when more deserved) at the beach. So let's not take the ski jackets off ofkinds in winter because they are not skiing, huh? We are in the 21st century; This is just being silly. Wouldn't we rather be rattled about someone's boxer's sticking out a foot higher than their jeans?

Lady Phoenix

“To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence.”        - Arthur Schopenhauer

• HeatherRS Amateur 21 posts since
    Dec 18, 2008
    68. Jul 24, 2009 1:27 PM (in response to 26point2miles)

Try to remember this. Running shorts are for.... RUNNING! Running shoes are for ... RUNNING! Running gear is for... RUNNING! Would you expect to see any other athlete sitting around in their uniform when not engaged in their sport? A baseball player, football, etc. etc.? So modesty aside, when you are not running, don't wear running attire. The one exception is a race t-shirt but only after the race and if you finished.

Sorry, I disagree.....as a former div. 1 track athlete who competed all through college and then some after running shorts/shoes are not just for when I'm RUNNING! Your point about the uniform is not really strong since that's usually only worn once a week unless you're playing baseball. However with the countless hours you spend wearing your workout clothes and shoes that ends up making that a part of your daily routine and you have a huge comfort level with it. That includes when you are NOT at practice and just going to the store, and yes many athletes are seen wearing that around. Granted I don't want to see camel t* or a disgusting bulge.....but for the day to day runner who chooses to wear their running attire go for it. I'm with you and I will continue to have more running attire in my wardrobe than day to day clothes and wear it when I feel like it.

Aug 11, 2008
    69. Jul 24, 2009 8:27 AM (in response to JoeInTX)

I've seen an awful lot of topless men running lately due to the weather.....I don't mind that one bit....but I'd hate to see what would happen if a topless woman went for a run...now who's wearing less clothes?  I don't really care who wears what when they run....it's up to them.  I don't wear my running gear out, its for running but that's my choice.  I remember when bike shorts (with no undergarments) were the big rage back in the 80s.  My then boyfriend (now husband) even had a pair of bright blue ones and he never stepped foot on a bike.  There is absolutely something slightly obscene (and I'm not a prude) about anyone wearing compression gear in an arena which doesn't require the garment....men or women.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

Dec 14, 2007
    70. Jul 24, 2009 8:55 AM (in response to cyndi t)

cyndi t wrote:

.....  There is absolutely something slightly obscene (and I'm not a prude) about anyone wearing compression gear in an arena which doesn't require the garment....men or women.

You're right.  Like most things, I think it's all a matter of common sense.   

• SWrunsea Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 21, 2006
    71. Jul 24, 2009 12:38 PM (in response to Harper028)

Other then compression shorts, what running shorts are considered immodest?

Attachments:
    Dec 14, 2007
    72. Jul 24, 2009 12:56 PM (in response to SWrunsea)

SWrunsea wrote:

Other then compression shorts, what running shorts are considered immodest?

I think its only guys (who are packing) in compression shorts.  But if in a running setting, it shouldn't matter.

• MoCoRunner Amateur 18 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    73. Jul 28, 2009 9:16 PM (in response to Harper028)

I'd be freaked out too if I was young and my uncle decided to wear his running shorts with all his precious jewels exposed when he's sitting. HAHA...atleast you feel cool during a hot day

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
  • SWrunsea Rookie 8 posts since
    Mar 21, 2006
    74. Aug 6, 2009 1:27 PM (in response to MoCoRunner)

I am around male runners alot, some wearing split running shorts; which I also wear, all the time.  I think we just don't think what is being exposed at times.  Granted, the shorts have a liner in them.  When It comes to stitting in those shorts, somtimes the male jewels like to pop out. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...