Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2292 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 25, 2009 8:25 PM by dg12 RSS
nopuede Rookie 3 posts since
May 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2009 10:26 AM

i am hungry all the time and can't seem to lose any weight

i have been running for 2 years now.  i never really did to lose weight, but definitely didn't want to gain any, but i have anyway.  i don't eat junk, but i do eat a lot of carrots and cereal.  i'm never satisfied and i always feel like i cut my meals short.  i am getting really discouraged about it now and, actually really really bitter...i mean how do you run 7 miles a day and still have a fat ***?!?!?  anyone have the same problem?  what i want to hear is that its muscle, but how much weight can a runner really chalk up to muscle gain?  i can't find that information anywhere.

• Nancy Clark RD CSSD Community Moderator 63 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007

I can hear your frustration; you sound like many of my clients. You are not the only one who runs and still struggles with weight. Somewhere along the line, you must be eating extra calories (even if they are from carrots and fruit and "healthy food" ... those calories still count.)

I separate exercise and weight reduction. I encourage people to run for stress-relief, pleasure and fitness, but not to "burn of calories". (Often, when people run, they end up being less active in other parts of their day and end up not needing more calories.) To lose weight, you need to chip away at eating 100 to 300 fewer calories at the end of the day. Sounds simple, but oftentimes is not....

Your best bet is to meet with a local sports dietitian who can review your entire diet and help you with a meal plan personalized for your needs and lifestyle. Use the referral network at www.SCANdpg.org. You might also find my "Sports Nutrition Guidebook" or "Food Guide for New Runners" to be helpful (available on my website). Both books have a strong section on how to lose undesired body fat and maintain energy to run.

With best regards,

Nancy

www.nancyclarkrd.com

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Sports nutrition counselor and food/weight coach

Author, Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

www.nancyclarkrd.com

• Nancy Clark RD CSSD Community Moderator 63 posts since
    Jul 8, 2007

In addition to being aware of calories (yes, weight is a calorie-game, more-so than an exercise game), pay attention to when you eat. I know of one person who started having his dinner for breakfast and his breakfast for dinner, and he lost a lot of weight effortlessly.

Be sure to fuel by day, and eat lighter at night. Chipping off 100 to 200 calories at the end of the day can lead to 10 to 20 lbs of fat loss in a year.

Nancy

Nancy Clark MS RD CSSD

Sports nutrition counselor and food/weight coach

Author, Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

www.nancyclarkrd.com

• p2krider Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009

My question to you is, how much water are you drinking?  To me, it sounds like a hydration issue.

First, water is a great hunger suppresor.  Next time you feel that urge, have a glass of water.  It works.  From "The Secrets of Superior Hydration" by Brain Foltz and Dr. Joe Ferrara, "The body has many ways to tell you that it is thirsty.  Hunger feelings are often a thirst signal, since food is a natural source of water for the body and their control centers are next to each other in the brain.  Your very first feeling of hunger should be satisfied w/ one or two glasses of water.  You will notice an hour or two later your body's actual rquest for food energy will occur."  2nd) If you're properly hydrated (one should drink at least 1/2 their body weight in ounces a day), your body is better able to do what it's suppose to do and that is cleanse and hydrate your cells.  Proper cleansing leads to better elimination function which in turn will help shed a few pounds.  Stay w/ waters that still have mineral content in them (Arrowhead, Figi) and stay away from sports drinks all together (lots of sugar and ridiculously low pH levels ~ they are h-i-g-h-l-y acidic drinks and very bad for you).

Also, have you tried eating less, but more often during the day?  Smaller, but more frequent meals (4 - 6) a day stimulates the metabolism rate of your body, also leading to shed weight loss.  As mentioned above, really take a good look at your diet as well.  Do your best to eliminate as much sugar as you can and you'll probably find a few pounds will leave you as well. 

• mehylen Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 29, 2009

I agree with Nancy Clark. Have you tried replacing a meal with blending fruits? I purchase a Blendtec to use it as a way to substitute the desire for sport drinks. In 6 months I lost 28 pounds. it took me 6 weeks to shrink my stomach from over eating before I started to lose 1 pound per week. I eliminated all sweets from going in my mouth and now I don't have any desire for them. With the weight lost I was able to start marathon training again. What you eat is your first responsibility, then exercising is second.

• BuzzR Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009

How much weight are we talking about ? Mind telling us how tall you are and what your weight is ?

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007

For 12 years I've run marathons at 220 lbs. in my mid 40's.. I also admit I'm a simple carb addict. Since taking in more fruit, essentail fats, less calories and more protein (powder) and meats, I burned 20 lbs. of fat in no time. Talking about adding about 2 extra miles to my 60-90 min. steady state runs.

Most people that eat what they want are younger, the rest have a faster metabolism. You dont see that the others go home and mill around the house which keeps the fire stoked. Unlike me I go home and watch tv and computer after a rewarding workout 6 days a week.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...