Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3782 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2010 3:59 AM by matommy RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Mickey Balls Rookie 2 posts since
Apr 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 25, 2009 7:52 AM

Couch to Marathon

Hello,

I have been struggling with fluctuating weight problems for the last 6 years.  Currently I am about 20-30 pounds overweight.  However I just started running again and love it.  Yesterday I did 1.5 miles without stopping for the first time in 2 years.  I am so excited!  I signed up for a marathon at the end of October.  I love running and am so excited to begin my training!!

• ditchdoc1017 Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    1. Jul 25, 2009 12:49 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)
    Re: Couch to Marathon

I think it's very doable but ramping up mileage is a very easy way to get hurt. The one thing about running it  is as much mental as anything. You can push your body to the limits if your mind will let you.Have fun be safe and get good shoes.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,310 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jul 25, 2009 2:09 PM (in response to ditchdoc1017)

Very doable??? That has to be one of the biggest exaggerations I've heard in a while. Can it be done? Yes. Is it a good idea? No. It's a good way to end up injured. There's no indication that you are in otherwise excellent physical condition which might make it more reasonable. You've just run 1.5 miles and in 13 - 14 weeks you're going to go for 26.2. You would have to increase your long run by 2 miles each week (More than you've run!) to get in a 20 mile training run before your taper.  Good luck.

Len

Len

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Jul 25, 2009 4:03 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)

Since you didn't ask advice, only stated your intentions, then all I can say is good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    4. Jul 26, 2009 8:54 AM (in response to Mickey Balls)

I`m not going to sugar coat this

you must be crazy to think that you have the time or base condition to safely train for marathon in Oct

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    5. Jul 27, 2009 6:23 AM (in response to Mickey Balls)

Sal, ask yourself why you feel that you "want" to do this? You're obviously needing to make up time, this was your goal and "ALL OF A SUDDEN", you believe you HAVE to do a full marathon.

I did my first within 4 months of initial training. I did 2 in fact. Like others have pointed out, the next year led to injuries. It takes at least 2 years of base training to kinda get your body adapted to proper training.

Go for couch2-5k's or 10k's.

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    6. Apr 5, 2010 12:18 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)

this is the first posting...

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

Jan 16, 2008
    7. Apr 5, 2010 4:24 PM (in response to silvereagle)

So while I was thinking there was more than one dumb*** who thought they could run a Couch to Marathon it was really the SAME dumb*** all along!

• JMSalsman Amateur 11 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    8. Apr 5, 2010 4:49 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)

Please don't let them get you discouraged.  If you REALLY want to run a marathon than there's absolutely nothing that will stop you.  Sure it's going to be tough, but if you've dedicated yourself to it, then go for it.  Then when you've done it, you can rub it in their faces that you proved everyone wrong!  Go get 'em!

Jan 16, 2008
    9. Apr 5, 2010 5:16 PM (in response to JMSalsman)

JMSalsman wrote:

Please don't let them get you discouraged.  If you REALLY want to run a marathon than there's absolutely nothing that will stop you.  Sure it's going to be tough, but if you've dedicated yourself to it, then go for it.  Then when you've done it, you can rub it in their faces that you proved everyone wrong!  Go get 'em!

http://community.active.com/thread/82405/couch-to-marathon/0/0

Pay attention, Dude, you've been had!  This same person posted last week that he "just ran a mile for the first time in several years and is running a marathon in July".  How can that be possible when he is posting here that he "just ran a 1.5 miles for the first time in two years and is running a marathon in October"?

Its called a Troll.  On the other hand, you might also be part of the Troll network yourself judging by that response you made.

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    10. Apr 6, 2010 5:27 AM (in response to JMSalsman)

I dont consider myself as discouraging anyone from doing a marathon. I dont recommend it when you have no real base which will lead to skeletal and soft tissue injuries though.

My question about asking yourself why you need to do it is psychologocal in nature. Most folks get themselves into an obsessive mentality and chalk up that as normal. Obsession is not good at all, it's an extreme mental distress masked with grace, quiet desperation.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    11. Apr 6, 2010 9:23 AM (in response to JMSalsman)

JMSalsman wrote:

That is a blatantly false statement. There are many things that could stop such and attempt to run a marathon; some of which are reasonably stated in the above posts. And your inference that these posts are by nature discouraging is also false. But nonetheless the OP appears to be trolling so no big whoop

• matommy Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 14, 2009
    12. Apr 6, 2010 3:27 PM (in response to skypilot77)

I just ran 100 yards for the first time ever, and I plan to run Boston this year. Any advice?

Just kidding.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am new to these message boards.. I have learned a ton reading and appreciate all of you people sharing knowledge and experience.

With regards to the original poster, trolling for what? What's the motive?

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    13. Apr 6, 2010 3:34 PM (in response to Mickey Balls)

Wait, haven't I seen this post somewhere else??? It rings too many bells for me...

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    14. Apr 6, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to matommy)

matommy wrote:

I just ran 100 yards for the first time ever, and I plan to run Boston this year. Any advice?

Just kidding.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I am new to these message boards.. I have learned a ton reading and appreciate all of you people sharing knowledge and experience.

With regards to the original poster, trolling for what? What's the motive?

Like any other place where humans gather there are always some that feel they need to be a pain in the @**.

It is not more complicated than that.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...