Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11544 Views 134 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM by Spareribs823 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next
  • BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    120. Jul 28, 2009 4:30 PM (in response to fred-urie)
    Re: July - 50 Plus Training and Racing

Monday workout;it was the experiment I've been wanting to do...I'm kind of a numbers junky...

20 minutes on elliptical warmup  1/2 mile on treadmill at each inclination, speed adjusted for 79% to 83% HRR.

(inclination(%)  @ speed (mph))

= ( 4.5%  @  5.5 mph),(4.0 % @   5.7 mph),(3,5 @ 5.8),(3.0 @ 5,8),(2.5  @  6.0)(2.0 @ 6.2  ),(1.5 @ 6.4),(1.0@6.4),(0.5@6.5),(0.0@6.7)

Soooo, 0.30 mph is about equivalent to %1 inclination, at a fixed intensity.

There was probably some drift in HR because of fatigue but I can account for that by running the sequence in reverse later this week and averaging out.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    122. Jul 29, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Take care of yourself Ms B

Bob - I'm beginning to appreciate your handle!! 

Hiya Ribz - got rain?  Hi sierra and Fred

12 moh this morning in typical weather.   Between the quality workouts I've been doing these past couple weeks and the weather; I'm a bit tired.   Ran an avg of 7:56 miles this morning.  Not hard/not ez.    Just wet.

Tomorrow have 2 ez 5.75 mile runs.  Fri. 10 miles ez moh.  Sat. will attempt 18 miles at marathon plus 10% or 7:35 avg pace.   It's blowing harder than ever this week and my long run course is out and back so may have to be satisfied with effort instead of time.  We shall see.

• BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    127. Jul 29, 2009 12:24 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Same workout as Monday, twenty minutes warmup on elliptical followed by treadmill running, but in the opposite order this time, every half mile increasing inclination and decreasing speed, all the while maintaining about 80% HRR.  At the end of the workout today and Monday, I try to run fast for a quarter mile at the highest inclination to get a measure of max HR.

Combined data sets give me a more accurate figure: 1% inclination is equivalent to about 0.38 MPH in terms of exertion.

This is kind of a fun for a treadmill workout. You end up with over 5 miles without hammering yourself too much or getting too bored at one pace.

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    128. Jul 29, 2009 5:28 PM (in response to BobTheNerd)

Hi all,

I've spent a couple of days trying to log back on to Active. I bought a new computer and then I couldn't log in to Active. Finally, I succeeded

Ribs, to open the garage door at 6 am and feel a 85 degree heat, is....hot. Seriously hot. To get in 8 mile is an accomplishment.

Sunday for me was 10 miles. The tentative plan was for 8 but found that to run back to the car would bring me to 9.5 and decided to go the extra half mile. 10:50 pace, just slow and easy. I kept thinking how, a month ago, I wasn't sure I'd run that distance again anytime soon due to the hip. So glad to get that in. Monday, a 2 1/2 mile walk. Tuesday, 4 mile run with my friends from work--I love running with them. We always pick up the pace a bit. 4.6 today at work with 4 hours sleep. I've gotten some much needed naps in, KS. Today as well. I REALLY needed them today. Glad I was awake enough to run, if only I could remember where I went

I hope everyone is well. --SierraLauren

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    130. Jul 30, 2009 11:52 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Fred, I am assuming you are speaking of picking up the pace during the recovery portions of a speed workout, as opposed to running faster on recovery days.  The latter is kind of dangerous I would think.

I'm running well, if not fast.  Yesterday was 7 easy and today 8.3 brisk.  With tomorrow and Saturday to go this week I have over 37 miles.  Today was a cakewalk:  72 degrees and a light drizzle.   Spareribs

Dec 14, 2007
    131. Jul 31, 2009 5:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Today is my one year anniversary!of open heart surgery.  I am working now with a new aortic valve and three new coronary arteries, an entire washing machine motor, to quote Tigger!  I've been looking back over the year to consider what I've accomplished so far, and the highlights are:

--I'm running about 30-35 miles per week, not great, but about all I can do right now.

--I've run 5-6 races, including a half, and have gotten my fiveK time down to a 7:57 mile.  Still working on it and expect it to come down a lot in the fall.

--Ran a 52.6 mile week, and will probably have 50+ this week too.

--Ran a 20 miler, not because I was training for anything, but just to see if I could, and that worked out okay.

--Other than an occasional muscle pain here and there, I have had no significant injuries since coming back.  I do flexibility and core work faithfully.

--Am signed up to run Hood to Coast end of August.  Should be fun, and I was flattered to be invited.

So this year has been kind of a recovery, and I am hoping that next year I can build on it for better race performance.  It's all new to me of course, so time will tell.  Spareribs

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    132. Jul 31, 2009 6:19 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Ribs - that list is a good reminder for you and us.   We often take for granted every day, month, and year.

Last night was to be ez but training partner wanted to mix it up.  W.U. mile 7:22 and it was the slowest.   2nd mile 5:51 with balance making the o.a. avg 6:40 for 5.75 miles.

Legs a bit rebellious this morning but covered 9.75 miles of hills at avg pace of 7:48.  Tomorrow is the big workout for the week.  Starting at 5:30 as it's the coolest and darkest part of the day.  Hope to be mostly done shortly afer sun up.

Have good day all.

Dec 14, 2007
    134. Jul 31, 2009 9:31 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Temps were mild today so I had no weather complaints, but legs were tired.  6.7 slow followed by a flex workout.  I need a 6 miler tomorrow for a 50 mile week.

Fred, don't forget to start a new thread tomorrow, and all you new folks look for a new thread for August.  Spareribs

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...