Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

907 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 9:57 AM by thedevotedrunner RSS
Xerokine Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2009 6:32 PM

Stuck on W3 of C25k

I started the Couch-to-5k thingie about seven weeks ago. I went from W1 to W2 fine, but I keep having problems with week 3. I do the 5-minute walk, then jog for 1.5 minutes, no problem. Walk more, jog for 3 minutes, walk, 1.5... but by the time I get to the last 3 minutes, half the time I get wiped out halfway through and can't finish. I tried doing a Week 4 set today (run 3min, walk 1.5min, run 5min, etc) and could barely do the first 3min jog, and had to stop after 1min on the 5min.

But what's got me depressed is that I've been doing the Week-3 set for 4 weeks now, and I can't see any improvement at all. It hasn't gotten any easier, and I'm still no closer to moving to Week 4. Is there something I might be doing wrong? I read somewhere that I should be eating lots of protein, could that be it?

Oh, I'm 22, male, and weigh 188 lbs at 5'10".

• poofyhazlenut Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 25, 2009
    1. Jul 29, 2009 7:39 PM (in response to Xerokine)
    Re: Stuck on W3 of C25k

Perhaps you're running too fast.  I know 3 minutes felt like a long time when I first started, and then 5 minutes...whew!  I would try slowing down, and see if you can get through more intervals.  Remember, it doesn't matter how fast you go at this point, just pace yourself and i think you can do it!

I'm not sure about the protein.  I like to have some protein after a run, to help muscle recovery, but that's about all I know about it.  Are you getting enough water before running?  I know that makes a huge difference for me.

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    2. Jul 30, 2009 7:09 AM (in response to Xerokine)

I think protein and not running so fast will really help. I got shin splints during W3 and repeated it once myself, and right after that I started using protein powder right before my runs. Here is my advice:

Take a cup of skim milk with protein powder mixed in about 15 minutes or so before you start your run. It will give you a good energy boost, and there are some protein powders out there that are legitimately good! In like to get a minimum of 14 grams of protein before I head out, but I imagine you could do with a bit more.

Apart from that, don't worry about how fast you are running. Just put one foot in front of the other in a running sort of way. I had some trouble at first, did that, and it cleared up. Push through at a low level like that, and you'll have done the workout and be ready to move on. Don't push yourself to run too fast - force yourself to run through it at an almost-but-not-quite walk, and you'll be fine.

Incidentally, you'll also be fine later in the program. I'm about to start W8 of the program, and am running 2.5 miles without a problem (runs after stressful bad work days aside.)

I hope I can be helpful if you have any further problems, since I went through this slump (and beat it!) myself.

• mikel 52 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 30, 2009 8:23 AM (in response to serenadeofsound)

xerokine, How often are you running? When I was on w2 things were crazy and I was lucky to get 2 runs a week in and that was too far a part and I wasn't making any progress. When things calmed down and I could get out every other day it was much better.

Mike

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    4. Jul 30, 2009 9:12 AM (in response to mikel 52)

At this distance, I'm not sure protien would really help.  Your runs are not long enough to go into a fuel deficit. As long as you are getting enough protien in your regular diet, you should be fine.  You can try the powder if you want, if you think it makes a difference, do it.  It can't hurt.

Do you know how fast you are running?  I agree that you are probably running too fast.  You should be able to carry on a normal conversation  while you are running.  During your running portions (and right after) you should feel a little winded, but not "sucking wind".

Running the Straight and Narrow,

St3ven

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• rdcotton Rookie 10 posts since
    Jul 8, 2002
    6. Jul 30, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to Xerokine)

Xerokine ... I think you may have a typo here ... 3K is approx 1.86 miles ... so 30 minutes would be about 3.73 mph.

I think what you meant was "3 miles in 30 minutes" ... this would equate to 6mph

Hope I got the math right

Ray

• lachupa Pro 67 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    7. Jul 30, 2009 12:05 PM (in response to Xerokine)

I agree that you should probably slow down.

You should also keep plugging away. Are you keeping a running log? I find that there are times when I don't think I'm making any progress and then I look back over my running log and realize that slowly over time I am getting faster.

I don't know about the MPH bit. I go with min/mile. There is a pace calculator here that you can use to figure it out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

At this point though I think the thing to do is get in the mileage and let the speed come over time.

Other factors are the heat. I felt like I was getting slower as the spring turned into summer then we had a brief cold spell and like magic my pace went up.

You may also just be in a plateau. I've had times when I felt like I was stuck at one level and then zing all the sudden I had a jump in improvement.

the important thing is to keep at it

"On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs. As if to say, "Well done, well done, everyone! We're halfway out of the dark." Doctor Who

Jul 7, 2009
    8. Jul 30, 2009 1:24 PM (in response to Xerokine)

You know, until know I had never really noticed it, but couch 2 5K really isn't a good name for the program.  5K in 30 minutes is a sub 10:00 pace (9:41 to be exact).  I know of many people who have never run it that fast.  I have only been able to run a sub 10:00 mile for a whole mile twice.

Although they call it Couch 2 5K, it is kind of misleading.  I think the idea is to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping.  for me, that's going to get me in the 2.5-2.75 range usually.   But if someone can hit 2.5 miles, the adrennaline of the race will carry them the rest of the way. 

You asked if going slower would be counter productive.  It would seem like it wouldn't it.  But  it doesn't.  Think of it this way.   In your daily life, how do you feel when you have too much to do on a daily basis.  No matter how hard you work, you just don't have enought time to get it all in.  You rush, and rush, skip lunch, deadlines everywhere. . .get the picture?  Imagine doing this every day.  Sure, you might be able to do it for a few days, but after a while, your body and brain would begin to bend to the stress.

Running is kind of the same.  Is running fast good?  Sure.  There are times you need to run all out and push your body to it's limits (in training terms, this is called a TEMPO run).   This type of run is good because it teaches your body to sustain your goal pace.  You body must learn how to get fuel to your muscles and needs to know how long to sustain that. It also teaches your body how to maximize carbon and oxygen turnover in your lungs.

There are times you push, then pull back.  Run more quickly than you usually do.  So fast that you couldn't sustain it for whole mile if your life depended on it, then slow waaaayyy down and let your body rest.  Then speed it up again, then back down.  (This is INTERVAL OR FARTLEK training).   This type of training teaches your body how to run efficiently when you are going faster than it can work.   You push it to its limits, then back off to let it catch up. Eventually, it will get used to turning over more quickly which results in faster pace averages.

The last type of run is the Long Slow Distance, commonly reffered to as LSD.  This is were you run much slower than you usually do. Nice, relaxed conversational pace.  This type of run teaches endurance.  Your lungs and muscles are not taxed too much, but they must burn efficiently for a longer time than they are used to.

It is this last type of run that you need FOR NOW.  Don't worry about tyring to run the 5K in a certain amount of time.  It will come.  Focus on a nice, relaxed, conversional pace for now, until you finish the c25K program. After that, I would continue this type of until you can run 3 miles non-stop, and it feels pretty good.  No pain in the legs, no heavy breathing, you feel like you could run further if you had time.

When you think you are ready, you can search for a 5K training program that will include these other two types of runs.  I wouldn't worry about them right now.  You are still trying to teach your body to get off the "couch of doom" and get out there. 

Try this for me.  For ONE week, do your runs at about a 12:00 minute mile (thats 5 MPH in treadmill talk).  See where that takes you. 

Another side point. . .I'm not going to debate TM running vs. Running outdoors, that can be done ad nauseum.  I will simply say this.  When you run on TM, it will help prepare your muscles for road running better if you increase the incline to 1%.  It has to do with the bio-mechanics of running on TM vs. the road. 

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps and Good Running!!

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

Flollow me on twitter

• rdcotton Rookie 10 posts since
    Jul 8, 2002
    9. Jul 30, 2009 3:12 PM (in response to thedevotedrunner)

St3ven .... the way I actually understand it .... the program is designed to have you running 5K OR 30 minutes ... not necessarily 5K in 30 minutes ...

Jul 7, 2009
    10. Jul 31, 2009 9:57 AM (in response to rdcotton)

True, but apparently, since the program is based on timed intervals, there are some who are under the impression that they should be able to run a 5K in 30 min.  See above post.

St3ven

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points