Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5855 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2009 11:21 PM by demasoni RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Morryj Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 23, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to Morryj)
    Re: running marathon with hydration belt or not?

Here we are now! see you in September...Water Bottle or No Water Bottle see you there and we will have ours

Aloha Nui Loha!

Attachments:
  • loubru Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    16. Jul 26, 2009 6:34 PM (in response to demasoni)

I recommend your getting a pair of "Race Ready" running shorts.  You will be glad you did.  They have outside pockets all around for your gels and anything else you may need to carry.  (Tissues, pace chart etc.)  If your local running store does not carry them, you can order them off their website.  Also, make sure you bring the gels you are used to using.  Don't experiment with anything you have not used before on race day.  Not a good idea!

• Trionmygoldrag Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    17. Jul 31, 2009 1:24 PM (in response to demasoni)

Dude, Demasoni,

Although the running portion of the Ironman triathlon is the same as the marathon, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!  You're forgetting the 2.5mi swim and the 112 mile bike ride leading up to the running event.  Ever felt a little sluggish before your long run on a peak week?  Think how they'd feel after a 4.5 hour athletic racing ordeal before approaching the start of 26.2 miles of pure agony!  They're carrying fuel belts (yes, one of the bigger sponsors of triathlon) but not armed with solely fluids but nutrition as well.  Craig Alexander, when he spoke with LA Tri Club says he runs on Red Bull for the whole marathon of the IM.  Now that's just weird.  But in IM events you end up carrying nutrition (in the form of gels, chews) on the run with something to wash it down.  Generally, eating solid foods during the marathon is tougher but for such a long event, eating something is absolutely necessary in order to finish the event.

In answer to your concerns though, it's all personal preference.  I used to bring fluid with me on every run I did longer than a 5K because i like to have something to drink when I want to drink it...not when the race directors feel like I should have it.  I got dependent on it and now i'm struggling to move back to the old ways of running without fluids.  It's a good training environment to get your body to work at its best without the help of an aid statioh when you want it.  it's bound to happen on race day.  if you do carry fluids with you, it is an added burden.  although you can carry your favorite drink/food with you, it does get heavy and over the course of 26.2 miles, it can be a heavy weight to carry.  camelbaks generally hold lots but they're can be really heavy.  The shoulder straps can chafe depending on what you're wearing race day.

hydration belts are nice but some complain they limit breathing.  fuel belts in my opinion are the worst because they require a 2 hand deal to stick the bottles back in the elastic strap.  amphipods and nathan belts work pretty well.  nathan has a new race vest out that has pockets in the front and a hydration pack in the back.   seems like a good thing for those trail races.  but for me, i've run with both and i don't mind the straps of the camelbak or the waistpack.  i'll usually train with both (in activities longer than 1.5hrs).  but boy can they be heavy when you're running hills.

happy training

fightONtris

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    18. Jul 31, 2009 6:28 PM (in response to demasoni)

No belt! Instead take 2-3 gels if you want.

2 things I never took with me in any marathon race that I always took on training runs.

1) I always ran with a Camelbak in long runs. Trust us, you'll have all your hydration needs at the water / electrolyte drink stations.

2) I always ran with my phone/radio/mp3 player. I never thought I would enjoy the race with my tunes but I always did.

• PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    19. Aug 1, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to Morryj)

Wow, wish I was in Maui now. Married there in 98'....

Okay, back to the real world. If this is your first marathon and just trying to finish I would suggest using the belt. You can always experiment later with other races. Someone also suggested finding out what drink will be provided. Make sure you get the same flavor and start training with it now. Nothing worse than a stomach ache half way through the marathon because the flavor they provide upsets your stomach.

Good luck.

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • Chattacat Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 15, 2009
    20. Aug 2, 2009 8:04 AM (in response to demasoni)

You can always email Jeff Galloway or his reps, they will answer you. http://jeffgalloway.com/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points