Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3465 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 1:01 PM by Mgwolf13 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
BonnieV Rookie 7 posts since
Jun 29, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 3, 2009 8:41 AM

What do you tell yourself on those days you just don't want to run?

nothing is getting me off the computer and on the treadmill. (It's pouring here today)

Luckily this is the first bout of "lack of motivation" I've experienced in 8 weeks on this program. 

What do you tell yourself on days like this?

Thanks, Bonnie

• goferris Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009

I turn around and look at my ever-expanding butt in the mirror!

Seriously, I do. Works like a charm.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008

I'm think about the fact that I've run in subfreezing temperatures and literally froze my face.  No weather was worse than that...so I kick myself in my lazy butt, get dressed and just do it....I'm ALWAYS glad i did.  Once I'm outside usually within a few minutes I forget why I didn't want to run that day.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009

I have found that even when I don't feel like running, if i just put on my running gear, eventually I will head out the door.  Then there are days when I just say "forget it". I dont' do it often, but there are some days when I just didn't sleep well and, yes, I COULD run, but just don't have the energy, so I'll skip.  That's ok.  Just don't skip too often, and not too many days in a row.  That's how you get out of a good habit.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007

I really don`t let myself consider that option - I have a very weird mental focus when it comes to training - I have a plan - workouts are not optional - bit like taking a shower or going to work - it`s just something you have to do - it`s a means to an end.

Don`t get me wrong I enjoy training - but I never think about weather I WANT to do it or not -

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

I have picture all around so i can remember everyday what i used to look like and thats modivates me to get out there.........

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

I hate to say it but if I had to face the TM, I think I wouldn't want to run either....I'd rather run in the rain!  (that's just me) 

Sometimes I don't want to run.  But I keep a pretty exact schedule so its not like I just wake up each day and see whether or not I feel like running.  It isn't really an option.  But what I will do, if I REALLY, REALLY don't feel like it, is to promise myself a short run if I don't feel better once I get started.  Most of the time once you start you're fine.  But on the rare occasion when  I'm really not feeling the love after a couple of miles, I give myself permission to stop at 2.5 miles with no recriminations.  That is my own personal "bail out" distance. One reason is because it usually takes about two miles to shake off the doldrums and the other reason is that is one loop on my route.  I never beat myself up when I do that.  I figure if I'm feeling that bad, there must be a reason my body wants a break.  I just get up the next day and do whatever is next on the schedule.

• acranger Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 1, 2009

I can't remember where I heard this, but I think it's a great one - I'll never regret going for a run, but I will likely regret not going for a run. Always gets me out the door!

• Timbonole Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 10, 2009

Ditto Spicegeek. Not going is just not an option for me.

I just think bailing is one of those things that gets easier over time, so I don't want to let a bad habit have any chance of taking root. When it's time to run, I run. It's really not even debatable, as my wife has come to learn.

• Slow Lizzie Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 22, 2009

My before picture is on the fridge (35 pounds ago!) and I just remind myself that my other option is ending up like my parents (obese, diabetic, heart disease, etc.).  Getting all hot and sweaty is a far more appealing choice!

• Bicentennial 5K   6-6-09   17:04 Pace
    • Firecracker 10K   7-4-09   13:38 Pace
    • Zoo Run Run 5K   7-18-09   12:46 Pace
    • River Run 5K   8-29-09   12:13 Pace     
    • Cheetah Run 5K   9-6-09   12:07 Pace 
    • Run the Falls 5K   9-26-09   12:00 Pace
    • The Scenic 5K   10-3-09   11:50 Pace
    • Indianapolis Marathon 5K   10-17-09   11:46 Pace
    • Fall Fest 5K   10-24-09   11:43 Pace
  • Luv2Run2005 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009

It's absolutely amazing how running has become my passion......on the days that I try and talk myself out of a run I ALWAYS ask myself if I want to sprint across the finish line or stumble?  For me stumbling isn't an option......

Va Beach Rock N' Roll Half Marathon September 6, 2009

It's rude to count people as you pass them. Out loud.

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008

I don't run on those days 

I will substitute bike ride, walk, swim, karate workout..any activity is good.

I also don't feel guilty if I don't run  --No one will die if I don't run and we all need a day away from running shoes.  I also travel frequently both domestic and overseas and have never since I started running halfway regularly in jan 2008 have had a running routine.   I average anywhere from 0 to 20 miles a week - running/jogging/walking.  I have completed 14 races since Jun 2008 and find having race on schedule is my best motovation to get out the door.  

I do find that more that couple/three days away and I get the itch to go out and do my 5K loop. 

-- I am on shelf for next couple of weeks as I had eye surgery (Choroidal melanoma) last week and wife will not let me do anything but walk briskly.... darn those doctors orders. 

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• crl8686 Legend 1,302 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007

If it's due to some obvious external factor like the weather (I don't like running in pouring rain either - I live in LA), then I figure it's time for a good solid crosstraining workout on the elliptical or the Lifecycle. But NOT a day off.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• run4st Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 22, 2008

I remember a quote I read...  "I never regret going for a run, but I have regretted NOT going for a run."

• MsT2u Amateur 33 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009

I think about what I look like naked, lol. Then tell myself, "You have to break the cycle". I come from a family the doens't exercise and has really bad eating habits. So I am trying to embrace good habits now. Better late than never.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points