Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2101 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 12:12 PM by Marykb RSS
myfairlady Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 3, 2009 5:04 PM

heart palpitation?

I am a new jogger/runner and doing C25K.  Today marks week 4.  During the first 5 minute jog/run I started having what I can only describe as a funny feeling in the sternal area.  Not pain but maybe pressure or "flopping" and felt if I continued I might faint.  My partner and I stopped and just walked and I eventually felt better.  Was this a heart palpitation or what?  Even now- a few hours later I feel more fatigued than usual.  It has been very hot today and I feel like I am staying properly hydrated.

thanks for any input

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Aug 3, 2009 10:23 PM (in response to myfairlady)
    Re: heart palpitation?

Let me preface this by saying I AM NOT A DOCTOR.    I can only tell you what _I _would look for.  FEELING you are properly hydrated can be misleading.  You may be drinking a lot, but what are you drinking??  Pop, of course is not good for hydration.  You may be drinking plenty of water, but if you are drinking lots of soda as well, the caffine will cause the water to leave your body and work against you.

The best way to tell is to (and I know this sounds gross) look at your urine.  It should be a light yellow.  Kind of like lemonade.  Don't look at it in the stool.  It will be dilluted by the water.  Urinate in a cup if you need to.  If it is darker, you are not properly hydrated.  If it is much lighter, you are over hydrated and the electrolytes have been flushed out of your body (electrolytes are what carries energy to our cells). 

IF IN DOUBT, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.  Your heart is kind of important for running.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    2. Aug 4, 2009 8:34 AM (in response to myfairlady)

That's not something to take lightly. You should make an appointment with your doctor. Have you checked your blood pressure lately?

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    4. Aug 4, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to myfairlady)

Ah, maybe low pressure? My wife has fainted before due to low blood pressure. Are you eating enough before your runs? Maybe low blood sugar? If I were you I would still call my doctor to get their opinion.

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    5. Aug 4, 2009 9:04 AM (in response to myfairlady)

Again, IF IT WERE ME (you will have to make your own decision) I would try it one more time and see what happens.  I know I am in pretty good health and I have been running before, so again, this is what I would do IF IT WERE ME!!!

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    6. Aug 4, 2009 12:12 PM (in response to myfairlady)

I don't know your age or medical history.  But for me, since I am in my mid-40's and have a family history of heart disease (although none myself), I had a stress test with a cardiologist before I started training for my half marathon last year.  I figured it couldn't hurt just to be sure everything was good to go.  I don't know the protocol for younger people starting out running, but if you are in my age group that might be something to consider.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points