Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

26742 Views 48 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2009 12:08 PM by meloneyd Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • AbChao Pro 76 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 7, 2009 11:25 AM (in response to Purpleipod)
    Re: Should I be having this big of a problem?

The app referenced earlier is called C25K and is for iPod touches and iPhones. I use that one only for posting stuff up to facebook personally. I use Runkeeper to track my workouts and I set up its training functions to help me do the intervals.

AbChao aka Andrew

Did you, or are you doing C25K? Join RFC on Facebook, just search for 'Running From Couches' 

Please help me as I run to raise awareness and funds for the Lupus Foundation of America. http://www.firstgiving.com/andrewkmartin

• RedRedBobbin Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    31. Aug 7, 2009 11:32 AM (in response to Purpleipod)

I second the advice to get that app!  I'm in the middle of Week 3, and I absolutely couldn't have made it this far without it.  It really helps me to listen to my favorite podcasts (keeps me distracted) while also not having to constantly check a stopwatch to see if it's time to start running.  Makes it much more of a seamless and smooth workout.

Also, I have to chime in and agree with those who struggled initially...my first week, I just knew there was no way I could make it through, but I took my time and didn't push myself too hard.  The rest days were as key for me as the run days, because they kept me fresh and (so far) injury-free and burnout-free.

I've read several times here and elsewhere that it's not uncommon to repeat weeks, and that's the best advice...just listen to your body, and it will tell you when it's ready for more.

Good luck!!!

• TurtleChic Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 30, 2009
    32. Aug 7, 2009 12:20 PM (in response to Purpleipod)

Its for and iTouch / iPhone.. Its called Couch to 5K  by Lucius Kwok and Kasten Searles.

• NewbieJ Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008
    33. Aug 7, 2009 12:44 PM (in response to Purpleipod)

Don't get discouraged so soon. I'm a thin girl, and started running for the first time last year to train for a 5k. I trained off a schedule I pulled from this website, and it was torture the first couple of weeks. Just keep going at it, and you'll see the difference eventually.

• meloneyd Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    34. Aug 7, 2009 2:42 PM (in response to Purpleipod)

Natalie,

I am so glad you posted.  Know that you are not alone in this.  I came to the harsh realization that I needed to lose 50 lbs to be considered in my 'target' BMI range.  I began trying to 'run' back in April, I could seriously run for a few seconds and I was huffing and puffing and thought I was going to pass out or puke.  Neither one happened, and before long I was running more and more.  I did very good for a while, then tapered off and fell off the wagon...and back-and-forth several times.

I started with the C25K this week.  I love this program and have seen several people post that they repeated weeks until they felt stronger.  I think there is absolutely no shame in that.  Do what you can.  I like to do what I can, then push myself just beyond the point where I think I need to stop.  Not everyone would agree with my tactics, but it's what works for me. 

I started a blog back in April when I began this journey, which I have accepted will be life long.  You are welcome to view my blog if you like.  You can make your own too.  I only have a few close friends who know about my blog and they follow it.  It gives me a sense of resposability knowing that they are tracking my progress as closesly as I am.  If you view my blog you should start at post #1 and go from there.  My blog site is http://meloneyloses50.blogspot.com  .

Keep up the good work.  You have made a major accomplishment just by starting the program.  You will get there.  Make sure to give yourself the credit you deserve, every step is a milestone.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Meloney

• penn02 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    35. Aug 7, 2009 2:51 PM (in response to Purpleipod)

Natalie,

I, too, say thank you for posting.  Have been walking for several months now and decided to try to program this week. Just 2 intervals got to me and I stopped at a mile.  After reading all this, i'm more determined thant ever to get out there!

As far as weight, i'm 213 and have lost 50 pds in the last year and went through a challening pregnancy.

Thought I would try doing everyother 60 second interval for this week one.

Talk about inspiration being there when you need it. 

M

• dbrown1177 Amateur 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008

Keep it fun....while at the same time push yourself.

I applaud your work

• galewind Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 8, 2009
    37. Aug 8, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to Purpleipod)

Natalie,

I started couch to 5k 5 weeks ago, and being about 40 lbs overweight, I decided that I would start with weeks of walking before I began what I considered to be "exercising".  I would walk my dog for about 30 minutes at a brisk pace and come home.  That was my pre-training.

The first workout of my actual exercise was difficult, but I was able to make it through, but barely.  I was looking at the list of workouts and thought "really?  There's no way I can do this".  I found it great that, though, each run got a little easier in a sequence.  I would fear the next week's tougher-looking schedule, but then for me it became a challenge.  I said to myself that if I couldn't do it, I'd walk it out, regress to the previous week's exercises, and then try again next week.

As far as my running goes, I started week 4 two weeks ago, and due to a wedding I had to travel to, I was unable to finish it.  So when I came back last week, I started with week 3 day 3, then did week4 days 2 and 3 when I came back, basically repeating week 4 but starting easier on the first day.

My point is, I think that it's OK if we don't do it in sequence, but just make sure to continue to push yourself, and even though a workout is hard, when you progress in it, there's a sense of accomplishment.  Don't worry about shedding the pounds or even plowing the schedule straight through.  Try to be healthier, try to find your limit, and then keep going at that rate until you feel that you can go a little more -- then raise your limit.  That's what I've been doing, and I find it helps.

Oh and one more thing, the iphone/iTouch app is awesome!  listening to my own music really makes my workout bearable. 

I've dropped about 7 pounds in the 5 weeks I've been doing it -- I have a long way to go, but my target is to be able to run a 5k in october with some co-workers of mine, and I really tihnk I can do it!   GOOD LUCK!!!

Chris

• jendafer Amateur 19 posts since
    Aug 10, 2009
    38. Aug 10, 2009 8:26 AM (in response to Purpleipod)

Hey Natalie,

I've just started the couch to 5k programme last night - and reading through this post has really got me excited about day 2 tomorrow! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know - I'm not overweight and considered myself relatively fit as I walk quite a lot quite briskly and am always running around in my job between offices... however, I did week 1 day 1 yesterday and I found it really tough! I think the trick is, as many people have mentioned in this thread, is to jog as slowly as possible. My jogging was slower than my walking (I dont know exact speed - no pedometer etc) but I could feel my legs using different muscles so I want to give my legs a few weeks to get used to the feeling of jogging! Good luck anyway - and keep us posted on your progress! I started a new thread for people who've started this week with the programme so feel free to post there too!

jendafer

• AppleOnYa76 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    39. Aug 11, 2009 7:37 AM (in response to Purpleipod)

Hello... You have already gotten so many replies already, but I just want to chime in and say that I can definitely relate to your original post. How have things gone since that first post?

I am a few inches taller than you and a bit heavier than you too... I set out on this program last year and I tried too hard to be perfect. I felt that running was 5mph or more, and so I ran all of my running intervals at 5mph... And I eventually failed. I was being too hard on myself and not factoring in my own body and fitness level. I left the program defeated and in pain from severe shin splint pain (along the inside of my calves). I was really mad at myself.

This time around, I started much more slowly. I started going to the gym a couple of weeks ago for strength training and I also started using my elliptical every day, switching over to walking on the treadmill when I could not longer take another minute of the elliptical. I also decided to hike every weekend in the local "mountains" (large hills, lol) where I live here in Germany. I realized during these weekly hikes that I can, which much effort, hike 5 miles, up and down hills, in 1.5-2 hours (depending on the terrain).

Because of that, I decided I was ready for the c25k program, but as I said... I am taking it slow. VERY, very slow! And I love it! I am not hung up on "5mph or more" anymore. I still do my strength training and elliptical, then I head on over to the treadmill and do the c25k... 2.5 mph for my walk/recovery and 4.0 for my "run." So what if the guy next to me is about to take off in flight with his 7.0 mph running pace and 4.0 walking pace. I feel great because for me, 4.0 mph is running. Once I build up endurance and strength at this speed, I will work on getting faster. I am also doing each week 2-3 times to avoid injury and shin splint pain. At my weight, I cannot afford to stop for injury because I am becoming addicted to my lowering weight on the scale and my increased abilities in the gym and in life in general.

Sorry for making this reply so long! I just wanted to let you know that there is someone out there who is running at 4.0 mph... And it works for me. Know your limits and work at expanding them in due time.

• Ms Lifeguard Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 1, 2009
    40. Aug 11, 2009 2:19 PM (in response to Marykb)

Everyone runner is different.  What may be fast to one person may be slow to another...but the fact that this person has made the decision to run and is looking for help from everyone here is what counts.  No matter who you are, you need to start at a pace that will keep you interested.  You build your endurance...it will come and before you know it...you'll be running faster than ever.  We all need to support each other.  I started out huffing at 4.0  Gradually I lost weight and I was able to run faster and faster. I lost 55lbs in a year and have kept it off.  I run 5 mph- 12 min. mile everyday to train..when I race, I go much faster.  Best times 5k - 25.12 10k...54.46 HM  2:04

Good job everyone!  Run For Your Life! )

2010 Races

Disney Marathon, Jan. 10, 2010 - 5:40:41  My First, I Finished!

LaPorte YMCA, March 27, 2010 -

Disneyland Half Marathon, Sept. 5, 2010

Run For Your Life! :0)

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    41. Aug 11, 2009 2:28 PM (in response to Ms Lifeguard)

Hey, there's nothing wrong with running 12 min/miles or any other pace that works for you.  That wasn't my point  - and I am totally supportive of anyone's effort to get out there and run/walk/move forward at whatever speed they can do.  I was only responding to the comments of the people who were saying things like "Oh, 12 min/miles are SO FAST!"

No, everyone doesn't have to run fast (I don't run fast either) but let's just call it what it is: 12 min/mile is not a fast running pace.

• meloneyd Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    42. Aug 11, 2009 2:35 PM (in response to Ms Lifeguard)

I agree with MsLifeguard.  It is difficult for me to hear people be so harsh.  I say good for everyone who has started and who keeps up the good work.  There are a lot of people posting things like "slow down, don't push it, you must rest," and "try harder, you're out of shape, go faster."  Really people?  What happened to encouraging each other to keep going and congratulating each other for our ambition to do better for ourselves.  I am totally inspired by you losing 55lbs in a year too.  My starting goal was to lose weigh, but I wanted to be fit as well.  I started out wanting to lose 50 lbs.  I am at the 20lb mark and have been there for nearly 2 months.  I am sick of that mark, but I am VERY happy with my fitness achievements are feel very good about the lifestyle improvements I've made along the way.  Keep up the good work everyone.  Don't get discouraged, just keep plugging away...one day at a time.  I am W2D2 of the C25K program.  I love the program!

• Ms Lifeguard Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 1, 2009
    43. Aug 11, 2009 2:36 PM (in response to Marykb)

To some:  A 12 min. mile is not fast.   To some others:   It is.    Let's just say that.

2010 Races

Disney Marathon, Jan. 10, 2010 - 5:40:41  My First, I Finished!

LaPorte YMCA, March 27, 2010 -

Disneyland Half Marathon, Sept. 5, 2010

Run For Your Life! :0)

• cpa0217 Pro 79 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    44. Aug 11, 2009 4:27 PM (in response to Purpleipod)

Natalie, I started out at 215 lbs too (5'7" female). I am almost twice as old as you are though, so I was afraid I would hurt my knees if I started out running. I walked for three whole months and dropped 30 lbs before I even attempted to jog or run. That was a little over three years ago. With the exercise & a change in diet (a registered dietician is an invaluable tool, if you can do it) I eventually lost 85 lbs and have maintained my "new weight" for two years now. I have now run in 5K's, 10K's, and half-marathons. Don't worry about how hard it is now. If I can do it, so can you. Just do what you can and progress at a pace that works for you. It will take time and it will be difficult, so be patient. You didn't get out of shape overnight, & you won't "fix" the problem overnight. Go on brisk walks until you feel like you can start the C25K. Once you do get started on the C25K, remember that there's no law against repeating a week if you feel like you need to.

Good luck!!! Let us know how things go for you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...