Skip navigation

1325 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2009 8:50 PM by Gerry Rhoades RSS
NKersten Amateur 17 posts since
Jul 14, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2009 5:32 AM

I want a road bike, what do you reccommend?

I have been riding quite a bit this summer and I currently have a Trek Mountain Bike that is 10 years old and I love it, but I am riding on the road more and would like a road bike so I can go faster.  I am not looking at spending more than $500 but still want a good bike.  What does anyone reccommend?

(7/4/09)  Pow Wow Days 5K  -- 28:33

(7/3/10)  Pow Wow Days 10K  -- 1:12:46

• a528126 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    1. Jul 18, 2009 6:58 PM (in response to NKersten)
    Re: I want a road bike, what do you reccommend?

My advice is find a friend who knows bikes well and look for a used one.  I don't think you'll find a good bike for under $500, which by the way is how much I sold my Cannondale CADD3 w/105 for.  I recently bought a low end Specialized Allez for $300 so they are out there but you'd have to be patient.

If you can swing about $800, then there are some new bike possibilities, like the Jamis Ventura(?)  I bought for my wife.

• strangerthanfitness Pro 120 posts since
    Dec 3, 2008
    2. Aug 8, 2009 6:29 AM (in response to a528126)

Good advice, its nearly impossible to make a road bike for under $600.  I work at a bike shop and when people tell me they can not spend more than $600 or so, I just recomend finding a used bike.  I encourage them to bring in there findings and talk to me about it, as to ensure they are getting a good deal on a bike that will fit them well and work as well as it should.  I know we "loose" out on a sale at the shop, but realy, its all about people...helping someone find a roadbike that will work for them and there budget is all that matters for me.  Good luck and feel free to ask more questions about what you find in the used relm.

• Gerry Rhoades Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2009
    3. Sep 11, 2009 8:50 PM (in response to NKersten)

If your MTB is fitted with knobby tires, you might want to consider getting a second set of wheels and a pair of slicks, like Continental Ultra Gatorskins.  If your main reason for riding is fitness, you don't really need a road bike, just less rolling resistance.  On the other hand, if you want to be able to ride in a more aero position, you need a road bike.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...