Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2223 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2009 7:17 AM by lenzlaw RSS
dbrown1177 Expert 39 posts since
Sep 25, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2009 11:47 AM

Max Heart Rate Calculators

I found a website with a couple of heart rate calculators. I know that the only true way to find out an individuals max heart rate is to conduct a stress test.

What do you guys use?

I am a 41 y/o male with an RHR of 60. My heart rate stays around 152-157 on flat runs. when i reach hills it goes into the low to mid 160s

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 8, 2009 6:56 PM (in response to dbrown1177)
    Re: Max Heart Rate Calculators

The one I use, I got while doing intervals. And the real one might be higher. But what I use is the highest I've seen.

Len

Len

• 00HokieRunner Pro 124 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    2. Aug 9, 2009 6:31 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Only real way to know it to get tested. I don't think I'd rely on the online calculators because you have absolutely no clue what formula they're using or who came up with it. The best way is to go get a VO2 Max or Submax test.

That being said, the most commonly used formula is 220-Age - but accuracy here is said to be +/- 10-15 beats. You may look into the Karvonen method which is a a method of determining heart rate ranges for varying levels of effort. It still uses 220-Age as a base however - but it improves by using resting heart rate as well.

Jan 18, 2008
    3. Aug 9, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to 00HokieRunner)

The formulas are all based on a study of some sort. But what the studies determine is a formula predicting the average (mean) of the group studied. Then you usually have to go two standard deviations out just to include 95% of the population. And they don't tell you the standard deviation. Which is why HokieRunner says +/- 10 - 15 beats. Even then, you could be in that other 5%.

Len

Len

• 00HokieRunner Pro 124 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    4. Aug 9, 2009 7:19 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Very good point!

I would say if you're really concerned about heart rate or you're doing heart-rate based training, then you really need to go get tested. Otherwise there's really no reason to even worry about your heart rate.

• TheSBG Amateur 29 posts since
    Jul 21, 2009
    6. Aug 10, 2009 12:52 AM (in response to dbrown1177)

I use a heart rate monitor when I train.  I'm 42 so my predicted max heart rate is 178 bpm.  There is definitely a margin of error with the 220-age calculation.  In fact, my heart rate has gone as high as 194 bpm during high intensity (but still submaximal) interval training workouts.

I still believe the Karvonen equation is appropriate for beginner and intermediate level exercisers but I choose to use the measured value of 194 bpm as my max HR instead of the predicted value of 178 bpm.  As a result, my training heart rate range (70% to 85%) is 153 to 173 bpm instead of the more conservative 141 to 160 bpm.

I also use Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) to assess workout intensity and recovery (0 = nothing at all, 10 = very, very heavy).  When I run at a 10 min / mile pace, my heart rate is 164 bpm with a perceived exertion of about a 6.  At an 8 min / mile pace, my heart rate is 178 bpm with a RPE of 7 to 8.  That seems about right.

Jan 18, 2008
    7. Aug 10, 2009 7:17 AM (in response to TheSBG)

All the books, web sites, etc. will tell you to use the highest value you've seen as your maximum. So if you've hit 194, that's what you should use.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points