Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7471 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2009 3:13 PM by DJ Dave N RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • cswildkat Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Aug 8, 2009 1:44 PM (in response to marp)
    Re: Your first 5k

I just did my first 5K today and am totally addicted. It was real hard because its all about speed and finishing, not really the endurance part. I finished in 33.00 which I think is pretty good for my first. My girlfriend did 24.00 which is amazing, but then she is training for Utah Marathon and trying to qualify for Boston. Im not quite ready for all that yet, but Im ready for more 5Ks, trail running and I want to do a 10K soon!!! Lovin it!!!

• DJ Dave N Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 10, 2009
    46. Aug 8, 2009 2:53 PM (in response to marp)

I remember my first 5K this year was on Father's Day figured a good day to get started...did pretty well, have been training hard ever since and increasing my speed times each race!!!

Jul 10, 2009
    47. Aug 8, 2009 2:55 PM (in response to cswildkat)

cswildkat do you incorporate any speed training at the track within your weekly workouts? they really help improve your times quite a bit :o)

• cswildkat Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    48. Aug 8, 2009 3:04 PM (in response to DJ Dave N)

Well I have been running with my friend so I started out doing 5 then 7 miles right of the bat. I do need to add in some speed sprints as I have been readingon , but actually I think Im doing pretty well. I had to take some walk breaks today but really not many cause of the hills. Cant run up those yet. Im still truckin along though. Thanks for the imput!

Jul 10, 2009
    49. Aug 8, 2009 3:13 PM (in response to cswildkat)

If you started out running 5-7 miles that's Awesome!!!! great work.  The long runs will help sustain your stamina through your 5k's...take it slow don't rush yourself keep pushing hard weekly and you will improve quickly...

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...