Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23616 Views 81 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 8:08 AM by spicegeek Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • KBT_Folly Pro 173 posts since
    Jul 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 4, 2009 3:24 PM (in response to Snowman79)
    Re: People are so funny - my running Pet Peeve
    Snowman79 wrote:

This was worse to me because on a trail race, you need to see where you're stepping.  I swear she was purposefully trying to get me to step in a hole or bust my ankle on a root by blocking my view.

I suppose it would be considered poor form to step on her heels a few times...

My blog: Folly or Feasible?

• Marc03820 Amateur 35 posts since
    Feb 25, 2009
    31. Aug 5, 2009 8:28 AM (in response to Marykb)

Pet peeve: people who get onthe treadmill next to me and clearly have not used deodorant or washed their gym cloths- conversly, Perfume/ cologne in the Gym- YUCK!!i wish my knees were able to take running on the road full time....

People who start too far in front of the pack in a race. 

Comments on the Sprinter/surgers conversation...

1. there is something inherently primal about running a race- In alot of ways, it is a metaphor for Life... and as shown by this thread our reactions are similar in other parts of life when we feel we are being "targeted" or "passed".

2. Giving everyone the benifit of the doubt, I am sure that alot of these experiences are intentional on the "sprinters" part and would be annoyed myself. But maybe, just maybe there is a bit of narcisism here? as in, they MUST be trying to pass ME! Do they think they are better than ME? Maybe (devils advocate here) the person hasnt even noticed you, or isnt expecting for you to notice them and incite an indian run? Simply trying to pick someone off as motivation? we have all done it in a race- can i beat that guy?? all i know is he has a blue shirt- it is nothing personal. Actually I try to pick off people who appear more fit than i am so maybe we should be flattered if this happens to us?

3. in a recent 5K i was trying for a PR. (got it! 25:48) and one of the things i was doing was sprinting to points along the course, a tree etc. then i would slow down a bit to my usual pace- maybe i wouldspeed up .5min/mi? i did this a few times and noticed two women would soon pass me after each sprint. then slow down right in front of me. I honestly wanted to let them know i wasnt trying to "race" them but simply trying to add some sprints to help improve my time. Maybe one of those ladies has posted here? I HAVE to say, my passing them had nothing do do with me being a man and their being women as the first post in this thread so wonderfully generalized- i was running my race and maybe they were too.

4. What if all of these Chase and be chased scenerios are involving more than one person???? someone sees you chasing the person who just passed you and didnt notice the person you are chasing go by... they then think that YOU are trying to pass them!! so they chase you... HAHAHA

• Snowman79 Legend 483 posts since
    May 16, 2009
    32. Aug 5, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to KBT_Folly)

That's what my brother said to do, dig into her heels a few times, she'll go away.  Yeeears ago in high school cross country, I probably would've put a spike to her but now that I'm much slower and calmer, I just put up with it.

I suppose in her case, she did it so she had the best view.  With trail racing, you need to see what's coming up because there's always a hole, root, mud pit, drop or hill.  In my mind, if she's fast enough to keep catching me, why doesn't she just pull away from me then?

I never have the luck of getting stuck behind a young girl with a perky butt.    I might not mind getting blocked in then.

My other big pet peeve......I'm your average runner.  Not really fast and not slow so I line up in the middle of the pack for a race, sometimes more towards the front/middle.  I lined up for a race recently and since it was smaller, I figure I'm one of the faster ones and so I line up in 2nd/3rd row leaving a gap for the fast runners.  Who lines up in front of me?  A couple walkers, about 15 kids who were around 12 years old and some middle aged women.......   Now, nothing against them as runners or people but COME ON!  The race started and we take off and sure enough, I took about two steps and I'm running into them.  Plus, they like forming packs so you either push between or have to go way around AND they wear headphones so you can't say anything to them cuz they can't hear you.  Does anyone else experience this?  I thought runners etiquet (sp) said to line up according to your pace.

I will outrun the storm and run faster than horses.

May 16, 2009
    33. Aug 5, 2009 8:43 AM (in response to Marc03820)

Marc  - I agree, lots of times people are just running their race.  They are S.I. runners and that's just how they run.  The fact is we let it get into our heads.  Usually for me, after a few miles in a race, I get agitated easier so someone who is doing that looks more like they are taunting me that I can't catch them.  Usually I know they aren't but there are those few.......]:)

I run like how you described, I target run.  I see someone and my goal is to catch them.  If I do, then I'm looking for the next person and my new goal is to catch them.  My problem with running like this is burn out.  I have a tendency to die off at the very end of a race, usually adding a minute onto my last mile.  Like you said, maybe people are writing about me on here too and I don't realize it.

• LMonique Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    34. Aug 5, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to Marykb)

Hello all,

I had to weigh in on this one as a run/walker, dog/runner. I will often run a mile, walk one minute, and then continue running (or some variation thereof). I am a sprinter at heart, so I find that I have a better pace if I break up the run with a quick walk. And believe me, my walking is faster than many people's running. I also use intervals, run slow, sprint, etc. And please don't let a good song come on my IPod. I will sprint away until I realize I'm outpacing myself and have to slow down.

So I decided to jump in on this because I sound like the person running along with you all. But believe me, it's just as annoying to me the person who thinks I'm trying to outrun them, as being the person someone else is trying to outrun. I've been on both ends of the battle. The problem with this all is that running is supposed to be a focused inner sport. I've found when I'm in my zone and intent on carrying perfect form, breathing well, and grooving along to my music, I don't notice that annoying chick sprinting around me. I may notice a dog who won't get out of my way, but not enough to ruin my race. Besides, I'm one of those poeple who will let the owner know to get her darn dog out of the way. I don't know. Maybe this is a totally blissful take on things, but people are silly and hopelessly competitive. If I stay in my own runners world, I've found they don't annoy me as much.

• achtungbaby Pro 132 posts since
    Jun 27, 2008
    35. Aug 5, 2009 10:30 AM (in response to Marykb)

Funny   I'm pretty new to running and will admit that something kicks in when someone, either a man or woman, zooms past me, particularly if I'm on a run of less than 10 miles (beyond that and I could care less).  But I don't try and get in front exactly, it's much easier and better for me to use the passing person as a pacer, so I will speed up but try and keep a distance.

• 08/08 Nike Human Race 10K:  1:08:00
    • 11/08 Torrance Turkey Trot 5K:  26:20
    • 02/09 Surf City Half-Marathon:  2:06:12
    • 05/09 Santa Ynez Half-Marathon:  2:06:00
    • 10/09 Nike Women's Marathon: 4:46
    • 03/10 Los Angeles Marathon: 5:25
    • 10/10 Chicago Marathon: 4:12
    • 11/10 Torrance Turkey Trot 5k: 21:11
    • 12/10 California International Marathon (3:56)
    • 01/11 Kaiser Permanente Half-Marathon (1:50:10)
  • New Runner 2008 Amateur 31 posts since
    Dec 10, 2008
    36. Aug 6, 2009 6:42 AM (in response to Marykb)

I've only been running for a couple of years but there seems to be a lack of etiquette among some racers.

I run a 5K in the mid-20s, which usually puts me in the 50th percentile of all runners.  Accordingly, I always start the race in the middle of the field - it's just not fair or polite to better runners to have them running around me.

What annoys me are people who have no business starting in the front but do so because they don't want to run in the back.  You spend tons of energy running around these people, some of whom are walking before the 1 mile mark and refuse to leave the inside lane.  What gives?  There's no shame starting in the back of the pack if you are a slower runner or can't complete the race without walking.

I also cross-train at a gym.  I don't care how good looking you are.  Your sweat is nasty.  Clean the machine when you're done.  People who don't drive me crazy.

I am running the Hope is Coming 5K this weekend.  Let's get the new cancer center at Yale New Haven built!

May 16, 2009

I get that in 90 percent of my races.  My last race, I thought I'd have no problem because they were releasing us in pace waves.  I was excited because I knew I could just stick with the pack I went out in.  It was a 10 mile race and they released us in 7-8 minute mile, 9-10 minute mile, and then the rest.  I go out with the first group because I wanted to run a 7:30 pace.  It was chipped timed so it didn't matter where we were in the pack and I was about 100 people back with about 100 behind me.  They repeat over and over that the 7-8 minute pace people are going first, then the 9-10..... We get ready and start.  I'm about to the starting line when the ladies in front of me stop.  They wanted to run with the next group but wanted to be in front so they lined up with us.............GRRRRRR!!!!!  About ten of us ran into them and pushed them.  They started yelling but they crossed the start and had to go because their chips were active.  One of the worst displays of runners etiquette I've ever seen!

• RunswithTheBucks Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    38. Aug 6, 2009 1:29 PM (in response to Marykb)

I really don't have problems w/folks during races, and ladies, I apologize but I can't tell you how many of your legs/butts got me through races.  One thing I do hate, however, is when people in cars yell @ me. I've been "Run, Forest, Run"ned I don't know how many times in my life, and living in a smallish town rednecks seem to take extra pleasure in hootin' and hollerin' @ me. Oh well.

• jennyhill Legend 219 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    39. Aug 10, 2009 12:05 PM (in response to Hel22Run)

BAHAHAHAHA!

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I would have loved to see that!

Jenny

• jennyhill Legend 219 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    40. Aug 10, 2009 12:26 PM (in response to Snowman79)

OK, so the Perky Butt comment made me chuckle.

As for the people that lined up in front of you, they probably wouldn't know runner etiquette if it came up and bit them on their perky (or not so perky as the case may be) butts.  

Jenny

• XTSport Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    41. Aug 12, 2009 11:26 AM (in response to MeganRoot)

I have gotten to the bottom of page one and I think... how appropriate that we picked a solitary sport, we're ANTISOCIAL.

Each one of you sounds really reasonable. Together... we sound downright neurotic! LOL

• XTSport Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    42. Aug 12, 2009 11:33 AM (in response to Marc03820)

Marc03820 has the most reasonable position, I believe. I have OFTEN found myself picking an object or person (nothing personal...since I don't know you from Adam or Eve... you're just a motivating target, I promise) and challenging myself to reach that thing or person. I have been running off and on, successfully and not, since 1988 (so I'm no spring chicken) and still find that the best motivation when I'm training a marathon is to race  myself toward things and people. I set mini goals and compete against myself. Now, I know I am not insensitive enough to use the same person repeatedly for this ... and I'm sure there are those people out there... but I wonder how often people are projecting their own competative nature onto a runner who is just using the available space and time that's out there and doesn't view personal space the same way you do.

• jtwatkin Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 25, 2008
    43. Aug 12, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to Marykb)

2 things for me.  The first is when I run at the track, there's this lady who is at least 80 walks on the inside lane and will not move.  It ticks me off.  The second is when I run at this lake where there are signs that say keep right except to pass but sure enough, people will walk right in the middle forcing runners and bikers to dodge them.  Seriously people, how about some self awareness?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    44. Aug 12, 2009 5:49 PM (in response to jtwatkin)

I'm definitely in good(?) company -- my biggest peeve is having to run around people who don't have the courtesy (or, to be fair, knowledge in some cases) to line up according to pace. I'm convinced I put on an extra quarter mile in a marathon just from the extra weaving required to get around them. (The rest of the extra distance is from not obsessively running tangents -- my own fault.)

I do feel for those of you who object to being selected as targets. I did my last marathon as a Galloway run/walk. Somewhere around mile 15 or 16, I ended up leapfrogging a woman who was keeping a steady pace. She'd pass me, and shortly after that my two-minute walk was over. I'd pick up the pace, pass her, and then my walk would begin again. That gave her just enough time to pass me again before I started my run. I'm sure she thought I was using her as a cue to start running again, but it really wasn't! We kept this up for about four miles before she kicked it into high-enough gear to get way ahead.

Side note: jtwatkin -- it's hard to tell from your photo, but you look strangely familiar. Are you originally from Long Island? Does Ward Melville ring a bell? (Ignore if not. )

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...