Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

38406 Views 374 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM by DiscoBandit Go to original post 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next
  • jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    360. Aug 6, 2009 3:04 PM (in response to gothgimpbadcooking)
    Re: C25K, starting tomorrow.

Yaaaayyyyy!  I did it.  I finished the program today.  Today was sort of anti-climatic because I considered myself a success story after W9D1.  Anyway, now I need to train for a 5 mile race on 9/26. 

Goth, I feel the same way.  I get more bored on the 30 min. runs than I ever did on the walk/jog intervals.  I am going to do a speed interval run once a week now, running wide open for a few minutes then jogging a minute or two for 30 mins. or so.  I heard that's what you should do to build up your speed and hopefully it will help with the boredom.  Good luck everyone.  Where do we go once everyone is done?  I think we're almost there.  We'll have to start a C25K graduate thread.  Go US!!!

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• IBmotivated Pro 90 posts since
    May 28, 2009
    361. Aug 8, 2009 8:15 AM (in response to jenyren)

Hey everyone, sorry I have have been MIA lateley.  I ended up having to take a full 12 days off of running to let my shin splints heal.  I was so bummed, and even though it was an injury and not of my choice, I was kind of beating myself up about it. I was feeling pretty depressed so I wasn't posting anything.  I am better now.  The long break did wonders for my legs, they were getting so bad that I was limping around my house.  They really just needed a chance to heal, I am glad now that I finally listened to my body.  I could have made it much worse if I'd kept pushing myself.

The big news is that I started running again last week and today I just ran my first 5-K!!  I run slow, it took me 41 minutes, but my goal was to be able to finish in under 45 minutes so I am happy.  I was behind in my training since I had to take 2 weeks off, but I was able to complete the run.  I feel so strong and powerful now that I have finished my first race.

So, are we starting a One Hour Runner thread?  If I start it, will you come?

Happy Running!

-Christie

Jun 4, 2009
    362. Aug 8, 2009 9:18 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Way to go, IB.  I'm nervous about signing up for my first race.  What was your experience like?  I know what you mean about beating yourself up for taking time off even when that's the best thing to do.  I think I took a 5 day break when I had a stomach virus and I hated it.  I will come to the new thread if you start one.  I don't know if I'll exactly follow the one hour program though.  I'm aiming to run in a 5 mile race on 9/26 so I may add distance to my runs each week starting next week.  The one hour program starts with 3 weeks of 30 min runs if I remember correctly.

• HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    363. Aug 8, 2009 4:01 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hey yawl

We are home safe and sound. Logged 2300 miles total, thats a lot of morotcycle riding in 10 days!

I am hurting. I ran in Maine on Saturday and on and Monday and Wednesday, I haven't run since and I have the last run of the program to complete it   my knee has been hurting really bad and the shin splints. IB I think I may have the same problem as you. I have been running the program on asphalt and sidewalks and in Maine I ran on broken rough asphalt, gravel, dirt and grass. I had to run in the grass a few times to avoid cars. The air quality there is so different than here and even though it is better quality it made my breathing difficult. The first two runs were really yucky and the last one I felt like I was starting to get used to it. My knee will hurt after the run and with a lot of sitting but not during the run. It is my bum leg too and the long ride up there cause more swelling than I have had during my new running self. So I am wondering if that may have something to do with it. I am going to go for a really long walk tomorrow morning, 4-5 miles. I will rest till the pain is gone and keep walking and I will go to the gym and do strength and pilates in the mean time.

I suppose getting upset about not finishing on schedule is an option but not worth the stress. I was gonna wait to sign up for my Sept 12 race till I completed the program, darn it. I think I will sign up later this coming week.

New thread? OK but lets give it a good name some thing we all can realte too.......  08/09 C25K Grads or Alumni.........just a suggestion and I really don't care for it. I am not very creative that way!  Or maybe.....Runner-bees (Wanta Be Runners)..........

Anyway, glad to be home and ready to get back to a normal schedule here!!

Bags

Jun 5, 2009
    364. Aug 8, 2009 4:03 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

OMGosh! I almost forgot the most important thing I wanted to say.................

WTG Jen!!!!     Congrats!!! wHOOhOO!!   Dancing a jig here for Jen!!! 

Great job, I'll be right behind ya girl!!

May 28, 2009
    365. Aug 9, 2009 3:58 PM (in response to HDBaglady)

RE: a new thread for grads, how about:  New C25K graduates

August C25K  Graduates

Moving On - C25K Grads

Do any of these appeal to you guys?  Let me know and I will start it tomorrow or Tuesday.  I will post here to let you know when it's up. 

Thanks for being the best, most supportive group ever.  I don't think I could have finished my race without the constant encouragement.  Sometimes it's just nice to vent where someone understands what you're going through.  You guys have been great!

• gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    366. Aug 9, 2009 6:11 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

I'm kind of partial to "Moving on:  C25K grads" because it's pretty inclusive. 

I second that, IB, it's been invaluable to hear about others' experiences.  I'm looking forward to having the support as I move on!

Jun 4, 2009
    367. Aug 9, 2009 6:39 PM (in response to gothgimpbadcooking)

I'm not very creative either.  "Moving On. . ." sounds good or something like "The Next Step".  Doesn't matter to me.  Thanks to all of you for all the support through this program.  I really don't think I would have finished if it weren't for the encouragement I found on this board.

Jun 5, 2009
    368. Aug 10, 2009 4:55 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hey yawl

Moving On: August 2009 C25K Grads?  There are several threads that other groups are using for after and I though we could differinciate by saying when we graduated.

All works for me, I will stay here until I graduate though and everyone should post here that they have finished.

Knee feels a little better today. I think I will walk to the gym and do some weights and walk home. Probably will be later this week when I can get back to running. I'll be in touch and looking fotr the new thread.

Bags

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    369. Aug 11, 2009 7:11 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Howdy guys,

Last night was my second 5K run. The weather was MISERABLE - hot and humid as all get out, but at least I was running at night. Still, it was like trying to run in a sauna.

But nevertheless I did a personal best run time - 36 minutes for the entire 3.11 miles

I can't even believe we're almost done with this. It seems like yesterday that we were just starting. I ran a familiar route last night, and I was remembering how hard it was for me to jog 1/8th of what I now do with no problem. It just seems incredible.

I'd also love for us to have a grad group. This is such an awesome support network that I just don't want to give it up!

May 28, 2009
    370. Aug 12, 2009 5:14 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

OK everyone, I think I'll go with:

Moving On: New C25k Grads

My reasoning is that this way people who Grauate in September and beyond will feel welcome to post on our thread also.  I will start the new thread now, hope to chat with all of you there!

-Christie

Jun 5, 2009
    371. Aug 12, 2009 5:16 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Hey all I did it, I graduated!! I am in pain now but I Graduated! I couldn't take it anymore. I was going to bed last night and my body was craving a run, so up I got this morning! So now I am "Moving On" too!

I want to thank all of you for helping me through this program. I really got the support that you just can't get anywhere else cause we were all doing the same thing.

Thanks Yawl!!

Bags

Jun 4, 2009
    372. Aug 12, 2009 6:44 PM (in response to HDBaglady)

Congrats, Bags.  Is that all of us?  What about Disco?  Did she finish, I can't remember.  I don't want to move onto the next thread and abandon anyone who hasn't completed C25K.  Can you believe it - WE DID IT!!!!

• serenadeofsound Amateur 29 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    373. Aug 12, 2009 9:21 PM (in response to jodigirl928)

I think I'm the last one - I was right there with you guys and then I ended up getting held up by shin splints and scheduling

Buuut...I FINISHED! I'm a graduate

And boy did I put myself through a trial by fire tonight, lol. I tried a new course, and it was almost entirely hills. Whoops! Out of my 3.11 miles, if I had .3 miles of good flat ground, I'd be surprised. But I capped the whole run off with a great achievement: I ran up the incredibly steep hill that I never thought I could possibly get up at a run. This hill makes me winded and out of breath when I take it at a walk, let alone a run! But I did it, and in the last half mile AFTER running over all sorts of other hills beforehand nonetheless. My total time was 36:32, not bad considering it was almost literally all uphill!

It wasn't an easy run, but it was full of triumph and I feel great now. Bring on the next step!

Oh, and you guys might remember that when I started this, I wanted to lose weight too. I weighed myself this morning. I've officially lost 20 lbs.

I can't wait to do more and run longer :-D we did good guys! With our support group, I don't doubt for a minute that we can do anything we set our minds to.

• DiscoBandit Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 10, 2009
    374. Aug 13, 2009 1:15 AM (in response to jodigirl928)

Congratulations everyone! Looks like we've all made it? I officially graduated on Saturday but I've not been around to post for a little while.

Can't quite believe I did it, to be honest! And at times, I couldn't have done it without you guys. Aren't we all amazing?

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...