Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2053 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 4:48 PM by MamaGlenda RSS
cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
Aug 11, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 14, 2009 4:33 AM

Ah ha moment

Having done this running thing for just over a year, I've experienced so many mind and body changes that it still amazes me and creates a real sense of satisfaction with myself when I see another change....and to quote Oprah, I have an "ah ha moment".  I had one of those today.

Got up this morning like normal at 3:40.  Since I'm training for my first HM I have a plan that I follow religiously and being a typical type A gal, I never (and I mean never) deviate from the plan.  Today was a scheduled rest day so what do you do when the plan says to rest, you rest.  So I get up, grab my morning cup of joe and sit on the couch to watch some infomercials on TV (not much on at 4am), I feel my anxiety starting to rise.  Now I don't know why I'm having this anxiety...have the normal amount of stress for a working wife and mom of 2 kids with a pretty stressful job, just normal stuff but I know I'm heading for a bad place.  Before I ran, I would have headed for the refrigerator and spent the day grazing to help eleviate the stress levels (you know typical self medicating behaviors).  Instead I got up, put on the gear, and went for a run.  Nothing major, 4 miles, but a fast, energetic, really burn the stress out kind of 4 miles. AND IT WAS AWESOME!  As I'm running I'm realizing how much I've changed in the past year and the AH HA kicked in and I really felt like a runner, an athlete who decided that this thing I do was so much a part of me that it has become the thing I do when I feel good, and more important, when I feel bad....it's replaced all that self destructive stuff that I used to do before that only made me feel worse.....and I realized that no one other than another runner would understand the impact of that AH HA moment. When I was done, the stress was gone replaced by the feeling of satisfaction and contentment....now on to face the day in a good place.....

If you've ever experienced an Ah Ha moment please share....

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• venetianJ Amateur 18 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    1. Aug 14, 2009 5:15 AM (in response to cyndi t)
    Re: Ah ha moment

I feel honored to respond to this first, cyndi.  As a 23 year old guy, I don't watch much of the O, but I think the description as an Ah HA! moment is perfect.  I had one earlier this week:  I've been running since April, ever since losing my job and switching game plans to start applying for grad school.  Running was the one thing in my life I was proud of, so I ran most days in May, every day in June and 29/31 days in July.  Believe it or not, I started to wake up every day this month with some overuse soreness.  I decided to try some tempo runs and some rest days and a quality over quantity approach, and I was out at 10:00 am in Florida on Wednesday, after taking Tuesday COMPLETELY OFF!!  And my body was like "HA 90 degrees, no problem.  And I was able to just glide through the tempo 4 miler with a "I got this" mentality; "Ah HA! this is why they say take the rest days, they pay off immediately on your next run!!"  I also had one about a month ago, when a sudden urge to head to the liquor store hit me - a feeling I worked my rear end off to unacquaint myself with 18 months ago.  That was my self-medicating behavior, unfortunately.  I went into my bedroom to get dressed for the store, but instead put on my running clothes and went outside.  And I was so proud:  "ah ha!  I have replaced unhealthy coping behaviors with super-healthy ones, and have a new tool in my belt!"  These moments are the reason this running thing never gets old, and just when it's getting a little humdrum and hard to stay motivated, these moments appear like a water station in a desert race.  Best of luck with the half you are training for, and keep enjoying the seemingly never ending joys of being a runner!  My goal is to run one in January since I live right outside Orlando and it would be too cool to run my first half in Disney World!!

• BonnieV Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    2. Aug 14, 2009 12:19 PM (in response to cyndi t)

Thanks for your post.  I'm a new runner... I'm still on week 7 of the Couch25K even though I have been on the program for 10 weeks.  I can't seem to get past this place mentally.  I also have some other behaviors I need to change to be at the place you describe.  It's nice to know that most likely, if I stick to this plan I'm working next year, I will be at that place.  Next year's coming anyway....

Bonnie

• vicnordgren Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    3. Aug 17, 2009 8:19 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Great post!! When the healthy coping mechanisms replace the unhealthy ones - anything is possible! Keep on running!!

• phyllisannm Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    4. Aug 17, 2009 1:50 PM (in response to BonnieV)

To Bonnie V:

Don't you worry yourself over where you are in the program -- remember it's your individualized program to tweak how you see fit/when you feel fit (no pun really intended)  Take it from me - I've been trying to get through C25K for approx. 2 months now -- (injury in W3) shin splints sent me to get fitted for proper shoes & set me back to W1.  Soon thereafter the realization occured that I truly needed  additional walking time in proportion to running time--  so, I have to tweak the program to meet my own personal needs.  I look at it this way:  It's a blessing that I'm off the couch in the first place - I want to do this thing right w/out injuries for a long time - so if it takes me a little longer to get started, I'm giving myself a break here, I'm just proud to be out there trying and for now everyday is more like an Ahha day for me.

I hope you will be at peace as you continue on your daily journey at your own pace!

• MamaGlenda Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    5. Aug 17, 2009 4:48 PM (in response to cyndi t)

Cyndi it is encouraging to see how much habits can change for the better - gives me something to look forward to down the road, so to speak!

I am doing C25K and I'm only in week 2 (after two weeks in week 1). This is the third time I tried to take up the habit of running. The first two times I stopped because I was having pain in my shins and at the beginning of this program, I could feel a little discomfort again. I started stretching more before running and taking calcium. I don't know which helped but my Aha moment came the other day, on my cool down walk, heading back home, when I realized - my shins don't hurt - in fact NOTHING hurts... actually, I am feeling really, really good!

G

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...