Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8185 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2009 5:13 AM by tsh48 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 7, 2009 10:12 AM (in response to robmelton)
    Re: Treadmill vs. Outside Miles

You mention your training pace at 11:30, but you don't really mention what you're averaging over that first mile during the 5Ks.  If its under 11:00, you're probably just starting out too fast.

• Modkoko Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    16. Aug 7, 2009 10:48 AM (in response to robmelton)

I definitely notice the difference between TM and outside road. Beside from the obvious impact level from them, there are other things that affect my running in these two different surfaces. Outside can be easier or harder depending on the temperature, humidity, scenery, etc. With treadmill, you can pretty much control everything so there is no distraction but at the same time it gets really boring. Because of the lower impact on my joint and ligaments, I can go faster and longer on Treadmill, but I personally enjoy running outside more because I love to see nature, feel the cool breeze every now and then, and the shady spots are nice treats after running under the Sun for a while. Road has uneven surfaces and I notice that more muscle being worked on the road vs. treadmill.

Another thing is with my old treadmill, I cannot calibrate my pace, but running outside with my Nike+ that is calibrated with my personal step length, I can get pretty accurate mileage. Treadmill mileage can be pretty deceiving because the surface is moving on its own and it can be more or less than what you are really getting as far as mileage and pace goes. I think the combination of TM and road training works pretty good, so you can balance your intensity level, physical impact, and mental stimulus.

• jennyhill Legend 219 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    17. Aug 10, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to robmelton)

I actually enjoy running on the road more than the treadmill but since I live in a kind of "sketchy" area of town and I usually run alone, I cannot (or will not) get out on the road before daylight. All of the aforementioned treadmill tricks seem to work for me and keep my times pretty consistent between the road and treadmill. I also alternate 1-2 minute intervals of 4+ incline "hills" and +7 MPH "sprints" (I know, I know. Not exactly a sprint to a lot of you folks ) just for an extra challenge.

Jenny

• CarliFierce Amateur 34 posts since
    Aug 12, 2009
    18. Aug 12, 2009 2:18 PM (in response to robmelton)

I figured out during my training that running outside is so different, and to fully prepare for race day you have run outside during your training.  Even the bottoms of your feet feel different. I blogged about switching over to running outside on my website.  http://runningintoshape.com/2009/03/30/getting-nervous/

Happy Running! Check out my Couch to 5K Training Mp3's at http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

• tsh48 Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 16, 2009 6:26 AM (in response to robmelton)

I run almost exclusively on a treadmill due to my age (61) and tendency toward shin splints in the past.  I've been doing this for almost 8 years, have kept my weight 75 lb below my pre-running weight, and do from 40-50 mpw.   I've done a couple of 5k and find myself trying to start too fast when outside.  I recommend a slower pace at first. My best 5k time in a real race was 23min.  When I do a timed 5k on the treadmill, i can do quite a bit better so the two paces don't really equal each other.  I find the biggest factor outdoors in Texas is dealing with humidity and I suspect this can be the case in many other places. 

The bottom line:  If you're just running for fitness, the treadmill is hard to beat but race training will require some outdoor work in a similar terrain to the race you're going to run.  I keep my treadmill on a slight incline and sometimes mix in elevation when I'm at a slower pace, but, again, my goal is just fitness and aerobic conditioning.

Good luck to you!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    20. Aug 16, 2009 6:37 AM (in response to tsh48)

tsh48 wrote:

I run almost exclusively on a treadmill due to my age (61) and tendency toward shin splints in the past.  I've been doing this for almost 8 years, have kept my weight 75 lb below my pre-running weight, and do from 40-50 mpw.   I've done a couple of 5k and find myself trying to start too fast when outside.  I recommend a slower pace at first. My best 5k time in a real race was 23min.  When I do a timed 5k on the treadmill, i can do quite a bit better so the two paces don't really equal each other.  I find the biggest factor outdoors in Texas is dealing with humidity and I suspect this can be the case in many other places. 

The bottom line:  If you're just running for fitness, the treadmill is hard to beat but race training will require some outdoor work in a similar terrain to the race you're going to run.  I keep my treadmill on a slight incline and sometimes mix in elevation when I'm at a slower pace, but, again, my goal is just fitness and aerobic conditioning.

Good luck to you!

Just sticking my nose in here - this is off the original topic - but WOW, you say you are 61 yo and your goal is "just fitness and aerobic conditioning" but you run a 5K in 23:00 (and even faster than that on the TM)??  I'd like to see what you could do if you were actually training to compete.  That is an amazing time!

• tsh48 Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Aug 17, 2009 5:13 AM (in response to Marykb)

Thanks for the comment.   I would love to train for competition but running on paved surfaces just kills me after awhile and I'm not sure how little of that I could do and really train effectively.   When I did my first 5k about 2 years ago, I had not been outside very much and I immediately noticed the effects of humidity.  And, even though I use the elevation on my treadmill a lot, that 5k was laid out with an extended uphill grade in the last mile.   Just about did me in!!

I run in the early morning now, between 5:00-6:30 am, and go to work feeling energized and ready for the day.  If I went outside at that time of the morning it would be completely dark and I'm also not sure if I'm up for that.

Thanks again for the comments.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...