Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11170 Views 102 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2009 10:24 AM by SimonnR RSS Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next
  • BobTheNerd Amateur 41 posts since
    May 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Aug 21, 2009 5:16 PM (in response to SierraLauren)
    Re: August - 50 Plus Racing, Training, Running

I took two weeks off from running.  Not a step, just stationary bike and elliptical.  Mostly just to give my n00b-runner system a chance to get to 100%, also getting a little worried that I'd been flirting with PF for too long.  Then this week was just to gradually get back into the swing.  Did manage 6 or 7 miles on treadmill on incline today. No pain, hurrah.

But the most benefit derived from this week's activity was probably from reading Fred's interesting posts ...  Running economy is something I've wondering about a lot all of this year.  For a novice like myself I have the theory I can just stress the body in various ways and it will naturally adapt to more economical motion in response so long as I don't fight it.

I'll tell you next year how that works out

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    76. Aug 21, 2009 6:53 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Bob - I've never worried about running.  Never counted breaths per step, number of steps per minutes, heel - mid -forefoot strike, stride length etc.   I am convinced the more miles you run; the more efficient YOUR body becomes.   We have to expect that people who run large amounts of miles for many years are more efficient than someone starting c25k.  Keep at it and you'll find the same thing.

Aug 14, 2007
    78. Aug 22, 2009 8:17 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Morning all.   16 miles this morning at 8:30 pace.  First three with dw at 9:50 warm up.   Ran for an hour and then 5 X 3 min marathon pace surges with 3 minutes rest.  Finished with a group run on the beach and ran those 5 miles barefoot and slow in the edge of the water.   We'll see how my ankles feel tomorrow morning.

• SimonnR Pro 157 posts since
    Feb 4, 2009
    79. Aug 22, 2009 9:40 AM (in response to ksrunr)

Hi everyone! 

I enjoyed the item about Salazar, Fred, so many  fast miles each week is a surprise to me. Do you know anything about the "notorious 30th. Avenue workout" alluded to?

Bob, take it easy on your PF; I usually find the tendons under my foot get sore from stretching them by toeing off when  running steep hills. This  may not be the problem in your case, however.

I ran a local 5k this morning, warm and humid, managed 22:08 with pleasingly even kilometre splits. I had hoped for 21:XX- the legs were game but lungs could not find any oxygen for the last 500 metres, runners ahead of me must have used it all up!

Simon.

• runninchicken Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    80. Aug 23, 2009 6:50 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good Morning

Ran this route at a 8:52 pace this morning. 70 degrees with 80%Rh. I haven't run this in a while and forgot how hilly the last 5 miles are.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=125549

Most of this route is on dirt road through the woods.  Quite enjoyable to be out in nature.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    81. Aug 23, 2009 1:51 PM (in response to fred-urie)

Looks like an enjoyable run Chick. 

Today was my last LR before HTC.  13 in 9:34's, but more importantly I finished feeling very strong and not at all fatigued.  Spareribs

Aug 14, 2007
    82. Aug 24, 2009 7:57 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Hi Chicken and those to follow.

Took Sunday as a usual rest day.  Ran 5.75 progression miles this morning.  First @ 8:30  2nd and 3rd mid and low 7's; 4th mid 6, and last 6:15 with 3/4 mile cool down.

This will be my highest weekly mileage this training cycle and will include a 14 and 10 mile hilly run and 22 mile progression run Sat morning.  Hopefully will be 70 miles or so this week.  Last training cycle I spend many weeks in the 80 mile range and have concluded it was too much work with little additional benefit over 65 mile weeks with better quality.  We shall see come Oct. 4!!

Have a good run today.  Fred; get that heart rate up a bit!!

Feb 8, 2008
    85. Aug 24, 2009 10:07 AM (in response to fred-urie)

6 miles recovery this morning at 6:00am. Temps in the low 70,s with low humidity...Yeah. Tommorow is indoor spinning class for 1 hour then 1 hour of core work.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    86. Aug 25, 2009 6:54 PM (in response to fred-urie)

2.2 easy this morning in perfect Chicago temps.  Tomorrow is 3 miles, one slow, one fast, one slow, then off to Hood to Coast.  Feeling great.  Spareribs

• SierraLauren Pro 148 posts since
    Dec 31, 2008
    87. Aug 25, 2009 7:59 PM (in response to Spareribs823)

Is that a race, Spareribs? If so, good luck! It looks like all of you have had a good August.

Thanks for the kind words, KS. And for the photos of Taos, Fred (a few weeks ago now). We didn't stop off there because my mom didn't feel up to it. As it was, she got sick the last day of the trip so it's a good thing we didn't stop off in NM. We did pass through the Comanche National Grassland in southeastern Colorado (gorgeous country) and through NM north to south, also incredibly beautiful. I saw an eagle, a couple of elk, a coyote running through the short grass prairie, and many pronghorn antelope (in Wyoming).

I've been back a few days now and have caught a bug of some sort. I knew something was up because I had no energy on my last few runs, which is a sure sign I'm catching something. So, I didn't run yesterday after 6.5 miles on Sunday, and I took today off when I began to feel worse. I'll probably stay home from work tomorrow. If I don't feel too awful in the morning, I'll go for a run. Sometimes that helps to shorten the bug.

Good night all.

Feb 8, 2008
    88. Aug 26, 2009 6:09 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good Morning

Finally cooled down some here, 64 with low RH at 5:30am. 9 hilly miles at 7:45 pace. This is the same run as last wed only faster, turning the heat down has surely helped.  Legs felt real strong at the end which is a great sign for Applefest 1/2 which is coming up the end of Sept.

Good runs to all

John

Aug 14, 2007
    89. Aug 26, 2009 8:17 AM (in response to fred-urie)

Good to see Sierra back.  Get well.

Nice run chicken.  I'm still waiting for that cooldown so my running will be a little better.

13.75 moh.   First half at 7:53 avg pace and 2nd half at 7:33 pace.     Last 7-8 miles didn't vary +- 5 seconds.   

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...