Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

4634 Views 44 Replies Latest reply: Sep 15, 2009 5:08 PM by ActiveAdmin Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Thomas B Long Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 20, 2009 4:09 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Golden Gate 5k Run Reviews

Great work everyone! Let's continue to make it easy for each of us to make our protests to the proper authorities in both Santa Barbara and San Francisco. Help the rest of us to follow your footsteps after you've successfully reached someone... police, DA, Better Business Bureau, Active.com, etc... by posting the person, title, and contact info.

Amandachanda, how did you reach Ezra? Phone number? Was he customer service or ? Please post it here.

With Active.com, I think we not only need a bunch of us to demand action but for us to also say that our complaints may include inaction by Active.com, once they've been notified, which constitutes accessory to the scam. Ask to speak with their attorney or at least how to send an email including all the good documentation that some of us have collected.

Let keep the heat on! Thanks all.

Tom

• Trina415 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 15, 2009
    31. Aug 21, 2009 10:59 AM (in response to Guest )

I would give this race no stars if I could. Why isn't that an option??? What a terrible and elaborate scam this is! I cannot believe Active can't prevent this guy from posting races. Being that Active is well respected in the running community I am shocked that they aren't doing anything about this. Hopefully something will be done before more people throw there money away on the October GGB race.

• ActiveAdmin Active.com Staff 61 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    32. Aug 26, 2009 2:30 PM (in response to Guest )

Active.com Community Members,

Thank you for sharing your recent comments regarding the MOVFitness running events. Your valuable reviews and comments on Active.com?s community board and event detail pages help ensure that races featured on our site are accurately portrayed and greatly assist other members looking for events to participate in.

Upon reading comments about the MOVFitness events in particular, we spoke with the race director to get more information and address some of the concerns you communicated. As a result, all upcoming MOVFitness runs listed on Active.com now include the following statement in the event description:

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS GROUP RUN DOES NOT PROVIDE SECURITY STAFF, ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE ROUTE, WATER STATIONS OR ON SITE MEDICAL STAFF.

We hope that this paints a more accurate picture of what others who sign up for these events can expect. Additionally, if you previously paid for this event and were not satisfied with your experience based on the description, MOVFitness has offered to refund your money. This can be done by emailing info@movfitness.com or calling (805) 960-5310. We have also asked MOVFitness to address some of your comments directly on the Active.com message boards and hope to get a response soon.

Your feedback is what makes Active.com such a useful and popular site for active people, and we encourage you continue sharing your thoughts and opinions about races and events posted here. We also welcome your ideas about how we can improve the site in general.

Thank you!

• MABURGESS Amateur 8 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    33. Aug 26, 2009 2:39 PM (in response to ActiveAdmin)

Sorry but that is not sufficient. This company is ripping runners off plain and simple. A lot of legitimate races do not provide security or medical staff but still provide orgaization, timing, marked course, awards, etc all of what runnners at minimum expect from an orgaized event. This organization provides nothing at all, ZERO. Movfitness' "events" posted are clearly misleading, even with the added disclosure. Active.com should see this company for what it is and ban it from posting events on the site. I could post my daily run and charge people to join me if that is the standard. Come on Active.com!!

• amandachanda Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 30, 2009
    34. Aug 26, 2009 2:44 PM (in response to Guest )

I agree with MABURGESS post. That disclaimer, while a good first step, in no way warns people that the race is a scam. Furthermore, I never received a refund check from MOVFitness despite numerous phone calls and emails. I had to report fraud on my credit card to obtain a refund. I hope active.com continues to investigate otherwise I will be very cautious in using active.com in the future.

• Kelvin Quan Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    35. Aug 26, 2009 3:43 PM (in response to Guest )

I highly suggest that Active.com sign up several employees to try out the race, and Active will understand why the runners are so frustrated; this is a deliberate intent to deceive. I can understand that MOV is out to make a quick buck with little work, but the fact that Active.com continues to allow such a race to be posted on it's website with so many outraged reviews is perplexing. Shouldn't Active.com also have it's participants /athletes in mind when they allow sites to host such "races"?

May 20, 2008
    36. Aug 26, 2009 5:51 PM (in response to Guest )

I did a search in the Active.com Community page and there are numerous threads complaining about MOVfitness going back to June. Posts from all over the country. I don't know how much evidence Active.com needs before they take action. As far as I'm concerned Active.com is an accomplice to fraud until they take these fraudulent events off their site (and there are a ton of them, do a search of events). MOVfitness is a fraud and Active.com is a fraud for profiting from it. I will be mailing my entry fees in from now on and saving the $3 convenience charge or registering race day. This is outrageous.

• Thomas B Long Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    37. Aug 27, 2009 1:29 PM (in response to Guest )

To Active.com,

Thanks for reading and responding to these months of comments re. MovFitness events. The comments are intended, as you say, to accurately portray the races featured on Active.com. However, the proposed additional description is grossly inadequate and would perpetrate the misinformation. The disclosure statement from MovFitness should also include: No water (delete "stations"), no timing or results or awards, no staffing. The only thing accurate about the MovFitness race info is how green the race events are...because there are no services!

Having read about the negative experience of others who have not received refunds from MovFitness, I prefer to request a fraud refund from VISA. If this should also be a refund of the Active.com fee, so be it. Seems like justice to me.

While we appreciate Active.com's response, we have to wonder if "Quality Control" (eliminating a well documented bad vendor) is inhibited by "Conflict of Interest" in collecting registration fees from us gullible race registrants. I can assure you that if blatant frauds like MovFitness are not purged from Active.com's website, then: 1. the documentation may come back to bite Active.com.; 2. I will be following the others away from your website and telling my racing buds in every sport about it.

I think we'd all prefer the more proactive approach of eliminating the problem and moving on. Looking forward to immediate action by Active.com. Thanks.

Tom

• BArcibal Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007
    38. Aug 27, 2009 1:47 PM (in response to ActiveAdmin)

I'll have to agree with what many have said already, Active.com's response is insufficient.  If you are not providing basic race services, then you are providing nothing and otherwise scamming people out of their money.  This response gets Active.com much closer to being an accomplice.  If MOV wanted to organize a group run and ask for donations then so be it.  But they are charging race registration for a non-existent event.  Active.com should and must do better than that to retain any credibility.

• runmammarun Expert 41 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    39. Aug 28, 2009 10:51 AM (in response to Guest )

Dear Active,

The disclaimer is completely inadequate to better describe what the event ("race") is about.  There is NO race and NO event.  MOV is collecting registration fees - yes they call it registration fees - for races that they either 1) don't show up; or 2) do not organize or plan.  They do not refund the reg fees and in some cases, have even written bad checks for the refund.

I have only seen ONE positive review on any of the races advertised - and I would suspect that the review was posted by MOV.  I have posted a summary of the races that have been held (per the posts on Active) that show all of them (that have reviews) have been complete scams.

What other evidence do you need?

I have to agree with the others that at this point, Active is more of an accomplice.  How much to you gain from continuing to allow MOV to advertise their events?

runmammarun

• AmyNunez Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2009
    40. Aug 30, 2009 9:13 PM (in response to Guest )

I was looking forward to this group run on the Golden Gate Bridge a few weeks ago.  I did my part: woke up early, got ready, carpooled with someone else and got there EARLY.  This whole event was BS: there was no one on the other end: could not find the spot, the website was locked up and would not let any of us in, and the 800 number was not working. We were basically bamboozled out of bed and out of our money.  I will NEVER participate in anything with active.com or mov again.  Also, this review should be 0 stars but my review would not post without a damn star.

May 20, 2008
    41. Aug 30, 2009 9:32 PM (in response to AmyNunez)

I did and event yesterday put on by Brazen Racing. Great event! One of the best I have ever seen.

It is a shame that Active.com allows organization like Movfitness to share the same space with

great legitimate organizations like Brazen Racing and many others organations.

I guess we just have to protect ourselves by warning other runners by posting reviews on FUTURE events

that are known scams.

• TenaciousO Community Moderator 54 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    42. Sep 8, 2009 9:39 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a great little run.

• TenaciousO Community Moderator 54 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    43. Sep 8, 2009 9:42 AM (in response to TenaciousO)

I worked on my pace.

• ActiveAdmin Active.com Staff 61 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    44. Sep 15, 2009 5:08 PM (in response to Guest )

Thank you for voicing your concerns about the MOVFitness events. After looking into some of the most recent issues you mentioned in more detail, we’ve removed all MOVFitness events from the Active.com directory and have opted not to work with the organization at this time.

If you are waiting for a refund, we encourage you to contact MOVFitness again by emailing info@movfitness.com or calling (805) 960-5310 as they have assured us they will provide refunds to anyone who is not completely satisfied with their events.

As previously mentioned, your feedback is invaluable. Again, thanks for the heads up and please keep your reviews and comments coming.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...