Skip navigation

2377 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2009 1:25 PM by bigdubrunner RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 24, 2009 10:14 AM

Golden Gate Bridge 5k Reviews

Share your experiences with the Golden Gate Bridge 5k below Back to event details page.

• moabrulz Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    1. Jun 24, 2009 10:14 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Golden Gate Bridge 5k Reviews

Don't waste your time or money!!!  this "race" was no more than someone showing up 15 minutes before with a cell phone to time our race, and a notepad to take our names...no route, and no one at the turn around..we were told to "run to the other end and turn around"... their other "Races" around the area don't seem to have permits yet either.

we have asked for are refund.  the only reason I am giving it a "star" is because I have to rate it or my review won't get posted.

• TC38 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    2. Jun 24, 2009 10:29 AM (in response to Guest )

I might as well have taken $30 and thrown it into the bay as I ran across the bridge on my own. What a sham! The 10-12 of us suckers who signed up for this beat the "race organizer" to the start point. She showed up with a note pad and said, "You're all guinea pigs for this event--."

The start and finish points were not clear. We ran across the bridge and back. We ended up running probably 6K.

There was no water--except in the bay.

There was no official timing, or semi-official timing, or even unofficial timing. The girl was like 15 seconds off of my own timer...?!?

There were no T-shirts. Not even a "green" tshirt.

There were amenitiespublic restrooms, sheeshthanks.

There were no prizes as advertised--or maybe they were "notional" prizes for those who took public transportation. Maybe it was a bus ticket back to where you came from.

There was nothing on the part of MOVfitness, ACTIVE fitness or anyone else that would have indicated that this was any event worth participating in.

I have also asked for a refund, but believe that someone has already "took the money and run...." so to speak--pun intended.

I would recommend no one to participate in any MOV fitness events. A farce from the word --Go!

outside of these issues--the view was great.

• JDRunning1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    3. Jun 24, 2009 10:45 AM (in response to Guest )

Thanks to TC38 and Moabrulz for just about saying it all. 

What a rip-off this was.  Oh, she (the coordinator) took a picture of us crossing the "finish line" with a cheesy little camera and said she'd send it to us.  Of course she didn't have any idea who we were and how she would connect us to our actual email addresses.  I didn't expect an email and haven't received one.

The only other thing I'll add is that the romantic concept of running across the Golden Gate Bridge and actually doing it are too very different things.  In reality, the traffic noise and air quality far outweigh the excitement of the view and the history of the bridge.  You can actually taste the air-born rubber and exhaust particulate and feel it on your skin.  Nice idea, but not really a great idea.  I'll bet it would have been great to be on the bridge with no traffic like they did for the 50th anniversary.  But then 80,000 people showed up and the bridge bowed 12 ft spoiling the experience.  It's a special place, but best to be viewed from a distance. 

Shame on MovFitness or whoever they are for exploiting the beautiful concept of the Golden Gate Bridge to make a buck ripping off good people.

Why do I have to give it at least one star in order to post?

-Jim Dullaghan

• runmammarun Expert 41 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    4. Jun 24, 2009 10:45 AM (in response to Guest )

Completely agree with TC38 and moabrulz!!!  TC38 described the event perfectly.  Where did my registration fees go?  When the so-called "race director" named "Jasmine" showed up just 15 mins prior to start...she looked as if she came from the Tenderloin district after an all-nighter.

WARNING WARNING WARING TO ALL ATHLETES:  Please avoid, boycott and spread the word on any event hosted by MOVRun - MOVFitness or anything associated with MATT HACKNEY (his name is very appropriate - he is a HACK) and/or his "assistant" (aka Walk of Shame Diva) Jasmine.  The MOVRun website is marketing upcoming races for many parts of the NorCal that are not legit (no permits/licensing, renegade races without water or proper athlete support).

Matt is apparently a CEO of various FAKE companies such as:

www.hardmagic.com

www.MOVFitness.com

www.theSBON.com

www.MOVmodel.com

He is posing as an author and entrepreneur when he is really just a thief.  I have also requested a registration refund - likely it won't happen.

Spread the word and good luck.

• IronMC Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    5. Jun 24, 2009 10:46 AM (in response to Guest )

I second the previous posts.  Location, great.  Race? Not really.  I read the fine print and understand the low carbon footprint slant, but the least we could expect was some kind of timing and the "organizers" to show up on time and to live up to their claims (water, time, etc.)  No one to tell us where to turn, absolutely no "support".  I could have done this on my own, and in the future will.  I would not by any means recommend.

• dgurela Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 15, 2009
    6. Jun 25, 2009 1:43 PM (in response to Guest )

This race was a complete disappointment! 

The previous posters have summed up the experience perfectly.  I feel like "Jasmine" and the rest of her organization are having a good laugh at how stupid we all were.  I would love to ask for a refund as well, but I'm certain the supposed MOVFitness group had a lovely dinner at our expense. 

I hope Active.com personnel read our complaints and discontinue posting these pretend races. 

If nothing else, we all had a good laugh before our run at how ridiculous the situation was.

• runningtowardsmy40K Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009
    7. Jun 26, 2009 2:23 PM (in response to Guest )

I make TC38 and moabrulz my words.  The "race" sucked. It was like running on your own on the bridge.  If I knew it was going to be that bad I would have saved my $30.00. It was the worse "race" ever. They were crooks and silly me thought this kind of things doesn't happen in here.

IF YOU DID NOT FALL FOR THIS SCHAME YET I BEG YOU DO NOT REGISTER, DO NOT REGISTER, DO NOT REGISTER, DO NOT REGISTER, DO NOT REGISTER, DO NOT REGISTER.

The website is asking for my rating but they do not have a minus star in here cause my rate would be (minus) -********** (stars)

• runmammarun Expert 41 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    8. Jul 20, 2009 10:41 AM (in response to runningtowardsmy40K)

Hi fellow run-victims - I've done a bit of research on how to take action against this guy.  We all need to contact the Santa Barbara DA's office to

try and get this guy so that he can't rip off others. If you have the

time, contact the consumer protection agency about the fraud: http://www.countyofsb.org/da/CivilDivision/ConsumerProtection/ConsProtection.asp  The guy in charge is Allan Kaplan.  Hopefully if there are enough complaints that come in - they will pursue it.  I imagine it will be referred to a federal agency since the "hack" is now doing this in other states too. 

• adam9296 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 3, 2008
    9. Jul 20, 2009 11:50 AM (in response to Guest )

Please call active.com they claim they can not remove these events. 877-228-4881. Also request a refund via your credit card company.

• ActiveAdmin Active.com Staff 61 posts since
    May 2, 2007
    10. Aug 26, 2009 2:32 PM (in response to Guest )

Active.com Community Members,

Thank you for sharing your recent comments regarding the MOVFitness running events. Your valuable reviews and comments on Active.com?s community board and event detail pages help ensure that races featured on our site are accurately portrayed and greatly assist other members looking for events to participate in.

Upon reading comments about the MOVFitness events in particular, we spoke with the race director to get more information and address some of the concerns you communicated. As a result, all upcoming MOVFitness runs listed on Active.com now include the following statement in the event description:

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS GROUP RUN DOES NOT PROVIDE SECURITY STAFF, ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE ROUTE, WATER STATIONS OR ON SITE MEDICAL STAFF.

We hope that this paints a more accurate picture of what others who sign up for these events can expect. Additionally, if you previously paid for this event and were not satisfied with your experience based on the description, MOVFitness has offered to refund your money. This can be done by emailing info@movfitness.com or calling (805) 960-5310. We have also asked MOVFitness to address some of your comments directly on the Active.com message boards and hope to get a response soon.

Your feedback is what makes Active.com such a useful and popular site for active people, and we encourage you continue sharing your thoughts and opinions about races and events posted here. We also welcome your ideas about how we can improve the site in general.

Thank you!

• moabrulz Amateur 17 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    11. Aug 26, 2009 2:39 PM (in response to ActiveAdmin)

thank you for your concerns over these events...did the race director mention the FAILURE to acquire permits from the locations where the events take place?  in northern california, this is a requirement, as it is in Piedmont Park (Atlanta)  and Central Park (NYC).  while that may not seem like a big deal - to those of us who do put on legitimate events in the area do not like renegade races.

Mar 31, 2009
    12. Aug 26, 2009 2:42 PM (in response to ActiveAdmin)

It's a lie about the refund because Matt sent me a check that bounced now intesd of being ripped off $30.00 I have a negative balence of $55.00 with MOV fitness cause his checked bounced. I sent him an e-mail 2 weeks ago letting him know and until today no reply from him.  MOV fitness and active.com should be shut down in my opinion they are working together in the scam.  How can a internet company not able to shut one person down?? I never heard of that. and now they  come with thaB.S. that MOVfitness will advertise that they don't offer water, timing and all the other things.  They are making it easy on MOVfitness to rip people off.  I am sorry the day that I found ACTIVE.COM.

Mar 31, 2009
    13. Aug 26, 2009 2:45 PM (in response to runningtowardsmy40K)

and they did not mantion that the 805 number no one answers it because i tryed all day for 3 days. they only have an answerng machine that says something like this: "because of the high volume of calls we are not able to get to the phone at the moment please try our website instead."

Mar 31, 2009
    14. Aug 26, 2009 2:47 PM (in response to runningtowardsmy40K)

instead of visiting the website they say to send them an e-mail

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...