Share your experiences with the Publix Family Fitness Weekend - Ft. DeSoto below Back to event details page.
As always Ft. Desoto is a great venue, albeit there seemed to be a few logistical issues this year. First off arriving well before sunrise presents some issues, namely lighting, one portable lighting tower was not enough to provide even minimal lighting. Second there seemed to be issues with the PA system, getting it set up and moved to the swim start area, and once set it was well south of the start making it difficult to hear the actual start. Water coming off of the swim would have been nice and I understand the bike shop sponsor was a no show. Parking was a nightmare, maybe moving the event to the northern part of Ft. Desoto would allow for more parking and easier access. Even though it was a great race beautiful day and I will be there again next year.
I pretty much agree with Stuffers. The course is great. It's beautiful, flat, fast and has easy turnarounds for the bike route. Unlike some triathlons, it was not a long distance from the water to the transition area, which was also good. The late start appeared to be from the parking problems and the number of people that did not do an early packet pickup. Have a packet pickup location the day prior in a location more centrally located than Ft. DeSoto would have been a good idea. I would also suggest that they better secure transition. Actually, it was not secured at all. It would have been very easy for someone to walk off with someone else's bike.
I completely agree with Stuffers. Those were the same concern issues I had. However it was a great race this being my second one i foundit to be a better quality. I will definatly do it next year.
1. packet pick up was too slow on the morning of race BECAUSE ONLY ONE person and computer was available for assigning and handing out ankle race chips.
2. lighting was horrible in transition before the race. you need more lights there and by the tables when you check in to find your race number on the sheet!! why is our race numbers not on our race packet?? it seemed like an extra step in registering.
3. the PA system was terrible at the start of the swim. the announcer / sound system was north of the swimmers and not next to the actual bouy start.
4. they ran out of water bottles on the run!!
5. absolutely NO security when departing transition after the race was over. my bike costs over $4000!!
6. you didn't have transition times on the final results of the race. i like to see how long it takes me in transition when i do races. did you just lump the transition time into the bike time??
7. great location for race and great food after race. would prefer a more convenient place for packet pick up.
8. 5 stars for the race course and friendly people, but 3 stars because of the issues listed above.
Ft De Soto is a great place to race, concerns are the late start. USAT was never asked for, How can the event be sanctioned if they did not adjust the age groups, now the event will not be scored nationally. SECURITY was a joke. Running out of water on the run course has been an issue going on three years now. These capetbaggers will move on the next venue, buyer beware.
I completely agree with previous comments. Starting with the package pick up ( NOT CONVENIENT) and the chip not recording the right time( NO SWIMMING, NO BIKE TIME and overall time not right), same as not showing transition times . Course was perfect, need to improve on their organization. I'm not sure if I will do it next year.
I cannot recommend this race and will be forwarding my observations to USAT.
This event was unorganized. No one checked my USAT card when I picked up my packet. The transition area was not secured. The event started late and the announcer who started the swim was not close enough to be heard. The crowd had to yell for our wave to go. The entry fee was the same as any other organized triathlon so I expected a little bit more.
I have to agree with most of the other reviews. At packet pick up Friday night my name was listed incorrectly on my bib along with several other racers. My USAT and ID were never asked for. On race day family members were allowed in the transition area before, during and after the race. There was no security in the transition area after the race was over.
I did Top Gun at Ft. DeSoto 2 weeks prior to this race, the difference between a professional management company and this company were huge. I suggest Publix spend a little more on a professinal company in the future.
I've enjoyed previous Publix events, but this one had issues. Besides the issues raised by other reviewers, I thought they put too many athletes on the last wave.
I ran 5 triathlons this summer and this was my LEAST favorite by far for the following reasons:
1. Grossly understaffed for registration/ checkin (even the day before)
2. One light for all of the transition set up that morning. It was virtually pitch black.
3. Extremely late start for race
4. Bizarre configuration in the transition area where racers had to do an entire lap inside of the transition area before they were able to exit for bike or run.
5. Hot water bottles - Publix, how about investing in some ICE to keep the water cold. The last thing I need is hot water at the water stations!
6. Ran out of kids race T-Shirts after I had already prepaid for race and T-shirt weeks before. Staffer said to email FFW headquarters requesting one, and shockingly, I still haven't received it.
The positives were:
1. Ft. Desoto is a great place to race
2. My son had a great time participating the kids race. That was the best part about the entire event.
ACTIVE is the leader in online event registrations from 5k running races and marathons to softball leagues and local events. ACTIVE also makes it easy to learn and prepare for all the things you love to do with expert resources, training plans and fitness calculators.