Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

35486 Views 296 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 6:08 AM by Suzanne84 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 20 Previous Next
  • kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 31, 2009 1:41 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Penguin Support Group

Donna, awesome! doesn't it feel great? Just think about it ~ You ran 25 minutes!!!!! That is so impressive!

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    16. Aug 31, 2009 3:53 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Kate - Good race! Congratulations.

Donna - Way to go! I am glad you are hitting the strides.

Today is my easy day. I ran 3 miles...1 mile for warming up(twenty minutes), stretches and then 2 miles at a 16 mm pace. I have a long run scheduled for Saturday.

• cynthesis Expert 95 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009
    17. Aug 31, 2009 4:27 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Great job on your race, Kate!  I did the Gateway to 8K after C25K, and I'm just finishing that up next week (it took me longer than 10 weeks).  I like that program, though I can't say it's made me any faster.  I'm going more for distance though, since I have my first HM in a couple months.  If you're looking to improve speed, try one day of speed work a week.  Even penguins can hope to get faster!

5/10/2009 - Race for the Cure 5K 36:40
    9/27/09 - Great Race 10K
    11/01/2009 - Spirit of Pittsburgh Half Marathon
    01/17/2010 - Rock N Roll Arizona Half Marathon

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eileen47 Expert 47 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    18. Aug 31, 2009 7:13 PM (in response to kate_mac)

Kate, if you want to laugh some more. . .

Towards the end of my second 5K, I began hearing people call to me, "Way to go, Eileen!" or "Good pace, Eileen!"  I tried to turn quickly to see who the people were: family who made it downtown through all the traffic? former students? (I'm a retired teacher) running club people who know me?  Every so often, I'd hear my name again.

I turned the last corner, saw the finish line ahead, and knew I could cross it at a run. Great spurt of adrenaline! I crossed the finish line, and one of the race volunteers said, "Good job, Eileen." A few feet more ahead there was a line of volunteers (all sitting on folding chairs) who clipped our racing chips from our shoes. The young woman congratulated me - again by name. I looked so blankly at her, trying to figure out who she was, and she nodded to my race bib. There, in big block letters right under my race #, was my name.

As I told me family, who already know, I can be so dense at times.

; )

Dec 14, 2007
    19. Aug 31, 2009 8:18 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Rainyday,

You came in next to last but third in your age group? Great - don't tell people about the next-to-last...at least that's what the clerks at the running store advised me when I had a similar experience.

My first race, the one where I let the 30-year-old pass me at the finish line so she wouldn't come in last (her fear), I was very last, yes, right ahead of the police car. Actually, at the last block (we ran through downtown), he slowly went drove around me, obviously so bored that he wanted to quit.  Well, I finished last but was first in my age group - no one else that old ran (55-59). : ) 

Another comment - I'm on WW too but mainly watching carbs due to my diabetes. I've lost 26#, trying for much more - another 30# would be great.

• kate_mac Legend 330 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    20. Sep 1, 2009 7:12 AM (in response to eileen47)

Too funny! I took a peek behind me at about mile 2 and saw a small crowd so felt okay. Then i realized that some of them were 10k runners on their second lap! In the end there were around 30 behind me,  not that it really matters. What matters is that I finished.

Cynthesis,  I  finally downloaded the Gateway to 8k podcasts this morning so will start that

this week. Went for a 25 minute run after work, yesterday  at about a 12 + minute

pace. How on earth do people run faster than that???? I'm not a

competitor, but would somehow like to shave even 30 seconds off my

time. Guess I need another goal now that I'm finished with c25k. I'll let you know how I make out.

Kate in CT

Old Wethersfield 5k ~ 36:00

Blue Back Square 5K Mitten Run (Dec 6, 09) ~ 31:58

Lake Merced Run 4.5 M - San Francisco (Jan 3) ~ 48:30

Baja 5000 5K - (May 2) ~ 36:39

Red Dress for Women (July 10) ~ 36:34

Hartford Marathon Relay (Oct 9) ~ ran the 4th leg (10k)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec. 5) ~ 32:25

Holyoke St. Patrick's 10k (March 19) ~ 1:08:41

Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (June 5) ~ 2:25:13

Old Wethersfield 5k (Nov 2011) 30:40 PR

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 4) ~ 31:09

Redding Road Race HM "A Run for the Cows" (May 6) 2:31 (hilliest course on record!)

Red Dress for Women (July 7) ~ 33:43

Pounding the Pavement for Pink 5k (October 6) ~ 33:04 (1st place in age category!)

MxCC Scholarship 5k (Oct, 27) ~ 31:56 (2nd place)

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 2) ~ 32.22

Quinnipiac University (CT) Physicians Assistants 5k (Apr 13) ~

Cox Rhode Race 5k Providence (May 11) ~ 32:12

Blum Shapiro 5k Cromwell CT (June 8) ~

Blue Back Square 5k Mitten Run (Dec 8)

You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running... quoted Dipsea Demon/Born to Run

• slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    21. Sep 1, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

I'm new here, and I am an aspiring runner.  After nearly two years of walking/hiking for fitness and sanity, and losing a big chunk of weight in the process, I've decided my next goal is to be able to run one whole mile without a walking break - even if my running is as slow as or slower than my walking.  (My walking averages about 3 mph, but it's on gravel mountain roads with significant hills).  I've gotten to the point where walking on the lesser hills doesn't get and keep my heart rate up and while I do enjoy it, I want to move to the next level to maintain my weight loss and help me drop those last few pounds.  I want to be a runner, even if it's not a fast one.  I want to be more fit.  I've done a lot of reading on proper form, because I want to avoid injury and "do it right."

I started the C25k program on Sunday 8/30/09.   Tonight will be Day 2 of week 1 for me.  I feel pathetically slow and embarrassed when I run (hence the post in the Penguin Support Group), but as long as I run, I don't care.  Of course, it helps that I'm in a very rural area where I don't encounter many people while out.  I remember when I started walking how I'd have to stop and walk back and forth across the road on a hill just to make it to the top - I was embarrassed about that too, but I got over it when I conquered the hill!  When I was in school (15-20 years ago) I hated the days when we had to run in PE; although then I was able to do a mile in about 9 minutes (as a teenager).  I don't (yet) love running, but I love the way it makes me feel afterwards.

Those of you posting about running for an hour or more, even at a slow pace, are heroes to me.  I'm excited that if I stay on track with the C25K program, by the end of October I should be able to run for 30 minutes - something I've never been able to do in my life.

Sherry

Linden, Virginia

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    23. Sep 1, 2009 11:21 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

So I'm built for distance not speed, I'm ok with that.  Last weeks run was 47 1/2  miles, today another 7 with this weeks expected miles at 45.  My second 5K was last fall.  I was pretty new to running at that point and just in the "please let me finish without dying" mindset.  I was running this race with my sister but I loosely say running with because she is much faster than me.  We were car pooling would be a better term.  So as we're warming up and stretching pre race, we're talking about how we expect to finish.  I see this crunched over hobbling old lady coming to register for the race so very tongue in cheek I say "All I want to do is beat the old lady"....well looks are very deceiving.....fast forward to the start horn.  I'm plugging along doing ok and low and behold there is the old lady.  I catch up to her and start to pass thinking, well at least I'll beat her and wouldn't you know it, she speeds up and pases me.  Well this went on for the ENTIRE 5K and she BEAT ME!  How depressing.  Fast forward to my first 5K of this spring (I've done 2 5K's and a 10K so far this year).  Guess who was there and SHE BEAT ME AGAIN!!!! and yes, you guessed it, the next 5K the same.  I've decided there is either an army of crunched over hobbling old women in my area that look alike or this lady is one quick old broad.  Hats off to her.  I'll be running that same 5K where I first met her this November and my new goal will be to beat her or at least keep up with her......now remember, I'm running LOTS of miles and training for my first HM and I still don't run fast enough to pass a senior.....Good think I have a sense of humor!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• slcekala Amateur 22 posts since
    Aug 30, 2009
    24. Sep 1, 2009 12:05 PM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Thanks for the welcome   Congratulations on your graduation!  It impresses me even more when folks in their 50s and up start something like running and are successful at it.  It's also inspiring to those of us who struggle with it and are younger!

I think there's a part of me that sorely wants to run precisely because I've accepted for so long that I'm not capable of doing it (except in very short bursts).  It's kind of a hat tip to Eleanor Roosevelt, who said something like "you must do the thing you think you cannot do," you know?  I'm honestly not sure it will stick once I finish C25K - specifically whether I'll continue running for exercise or maybe go back to a blend or combo of running and hiking (or maybe introduce biking - who knows?).  It may seem short sighted, but my focus now is being able to get there and do it to cross it off the "I can do it" list.  Of course, by then I may be addicted.  I think in order to view myself as fit, I need to be able to easily run a few miles.  At this point, I don't even care to join a race (except maybe to raise money for charity or something, and even then only a relatively short race - like a 5k).  Maybe it's more about my ego...I don't really know.  I do know that I've made up my mind to get there, and for now, my focus is getting to the end of October and running either 3 miles or for 30 minutes straight.  Once I get there, maybe I'll set a goal for a longer time or a faster pace.  But when I get there, I'll feel proud of my accomplishment, then I'll set my next goal, whatever it is, and move toward it.  And hopefully toward the next smaller size in jeans too

I need to prove to myself that I can do this, and I'm going to enjoy proving it to my husband as well.  And he's not discouraging it - but it's that accountability factor of me saying "I will do this" and following through and completing it.  I do that pretty well when I put my mind to it, and I get a lot of satisfaction from it.

In my mind, the only true failure is giving up.  And I'm not giving up

Sherry - age 32

Linden, VA

Dec 14, 2007
    25. Sep 1, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to cyndi t)

cyndi t - LOL  very funny race account!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    26. Sep 1, 2009 3:27 PM (in response to slcekala)

Sherry,

Welcome! As you can tell we are in it for many reasons...and we are here to stay.

Two race abbrevations that I just recently learned -

NS - No start or No show

NF - No finish

As long as you are neither one of these, on this page, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

• Catherineoctober Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    27. Sep 1, 2009 4:22 PM (in response to classicallytrained)

Just stumbled across this on a slow afternoon at work. I've been using Active.com to get into events near me and will be running a 5k in a couple of weeks. I'm on WW as well and have lost 30 pounds so far. I started running and have noticed that I'm more hungry because of it and this week I've been going out too much. I hope I even out and find a balance soon.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one out there. It's great to see what you have done. You ROCK!!

Catherine

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    28. Sep 2, 2009 3:12 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Catherine: I am on WW too and have lost 30 pounds so far; need to lose alot more though. 5K in a few weeks; that is exciting. I signed up for one October 25 - by then I hope to be a little faster.

Sherry: love that quote from Eleanor!

Cyndi; funny race story! I can see that happening to me.

I am getting ready to go for my Week 7 Day 3 run. This wil be the fourth time I run 25 min straight. WEek 6 Day 3 was ok, Week 7 Day 1 was awful and Week 7 Day 2 was the best run I ever had so I hope this one will be too. Will check in later.

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    29. Sep 2, 2009 4:35 AM (in response to RainyDayRun)

Just finished Week 7!  now on to 28 min runs. Woo hoo!!!

I am in the 16 min mile mark so still pretty slow but I do see improvement in my speed.

1 2 3 4 ... 20 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...