Skip navigation

3599 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 9:15 PM by ryder100 RSS
marylove Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 31, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 18, 2009 11:10 AM

need help on weight loss

im 4ft 11in tall and i weight 156 .i would like to lose 11 pounds to be at 145 .how many calories do i need to get my goal ?

• Optimal Nutrition Inc. Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    1. Aug 31, 2009 11:29 PM (in response to marylove)
    Re: need help on weight loss

This really depends on a few factors - primarily your activity level, but also your body composition.

The *_lowest_ *Calorie level I recommend is the BMR of your goal weight (Basal Metabolic Rate, aka REE - Resting Energy Expenditure).   A quick and somewhat accurate method of calculating your BMR is to multiple your body weight (in pounds) by 10.  In your case - 145 x 10 = 1,450 Calories per day.  If you plan to have any sort of aggressive workout plan, you may need to increase that.

Using the modified Harris-Benedict equation or using a calculation based on lean body mass would give you a more accurate answer.

Hope that helps.

Justin Robinson, MA,RD,CSSD,CSCS
    Consultant - Optimal Nutrition
    www.optimalnutritioninc.com

Jul 7, 2008
    3. Sep 7, 2009 2:27 PM (in response to marylove)

That is correct.  To be conservative, I would only add 200-300 per day for the 60 minutes of exercise.  Start with 1600-1800 Calories per day and monitor your weight from there.

• Run Pitt 80 Expert 42 posts since
    Feb 14, 2009
    4. Sep 7, 2009 9:17 PM (in response to marylove)

Don't get too hung up with calories or with weighing yourself everyday.  You need to burn calories and increase you muscle mass (muscle burns calories while you sleep).  I receommend my clients weigh themselves just once-a-week, like every Sunday morning.

As for burning those calories, consult with a personal trainer at your local gym, but you need to be on the treadmill, elliptical, or exercise bike at the gym, or outside biking, walking, or jogging for 30 to 60 minutes each day.  Additionally, you need to find other ways to burn calories: take the steps and not the elevator or excalator; park farther away at the mall, at work, etc, so you can walk a little further; do more lawn and garden work; etc.

Be sure and drink more water, eat more fruit, and eliminate all the empty calories (candy, pop, chips, fried foods, etc.)  Remember, losing weight is a process, as is keeping it off, so look at it as a long term investment in your health!

Good Luck,

Coach Anthony,

Wilson, NC

Anthony L. Boerio

Jul 7, 2008

I agree 100% - don't weigh yourself more than once per week.

Also keep in mind that everything we suggest on here are recommendations/guidelines - it's near impossible to presecribe a program for someone without meeting them in person.

• upbeat Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    6. Jan 28, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to Optimal Nutrition Inc.)
    Free upBeat! coupon

Try upBeat!, an energy refresher with only 100 calories, 7 grams of protein and 6 grams
    of fiber. upBeat! is sold exclusively at Hy-Vee. For your FREE coupon visit http://coupon.upbeatenergy.com.

• girlfridaycda Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    7. Feb 22, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to marylove)

What you want to be sure of is no matter what the quantity of the calories you are eating are, are they nutritionally dense calories. You could be eating 1600 calories a day of food with no nutrition or as few as 1200 with dense nutrition and get similar results (or actually better results with the more nutritionally dense foods).

Everyone gets hung up on counting calories and monitoring how much exercise they are getting, but no one takes in to consideration that if the food you are eating can't provide your body with the nutrients you need you will be hungry all the time. Our current food supply can not supply the amount of nutrition we need to live and we are constantly bombarded with toxins on a daily basis from our water to the air, it is no wonder over 68% (or more) of our population is obese.

I was one of those 68%. 204 pounds size 16 counting calories & working with a trainer 3 times a week plus working out on my own. I saw some inches come off, but the scale wouldn't budge and pants were still a 16. Finally found some information on how toxins can prevent weight release and how our food is not what it used to be. Now on a Nutritional Cleansing Program and in 7 months I am down 40 pounds in a size 9 and did it all without losing muscle mass (best part-no trainer and I haven't had to exercise like a nut-have been walking and occasional Pilates)

Now a firm believer that you have to get the toxins out of your body & put good nutrition in or you will just yo-yo and feel hungry all the time.

Jamie Lynn Morgan

http://thefat2fit.com

• ryder100 Amateur 25 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    8. Nov 24, 2010 9:15 PM (in response to marylove)

well my friend Try to drink green tea more as you can , drink it after the dinner and  lunch regularly and try to walk after taking the dinner,

i think in this would be definitely reduce your weight ..

human growth hormone

human growth hormone

• Amateur 2 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    9. Jul 5, 2010 2:49 AM (in response to marylove)

you can eat more fruit, such as apple, banana. Then do more exercise . what's don't eat too much, or you'll more fat.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...