Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

10265 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2009 11:36 AM by SocialD Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • adventurebrandon Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 23, 2009 11:33 AM (in response to Malyna33)
    Re: Need some words of encouragement!

You can do it and you will do it. Just keep telling yourself that you will succeed. Use everything that people are saying whether they are positive or negative as motivation. The steps you have already taken are huge and you will only get better and faster.

• georgie1967 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    16. Aug 13, 2009 9:10 PM (in response to Malyna33)

I can truely understand where you are, I started walking/jogging back in February/March (4 times a week, like you) and recently went on vacation to Ontario, where I completed my first 5km race on August 1st. I had only a few expectations of myself: 1) finish the race, 2) do it without injury, 3) have fun and meet new people, and 4) not to come in last place - all of these I managed to do, making this a successful first attempt for me!! I will be attempting to do a 1/2 marathon in October (full if my training continues to go as well as it has). My main source of encouragement is my family, my husband and son text me while I am running asking where I am on the road and sending "atta girl"s throughout my long runs. My mother will pick me up when I run between work and her place before we continue on to do our normal shopping. Although they sometimes think I'm crazy for running following a night shift, they still do all they can to support and encourage my efforts. In reading the rest of your blog, we truely have much more in common than you would believe...your story mirrors mine in so many ways (my father was diagnosed 25 years ago and passed 15 years ago). We are the stubborn (foolish to others), the motivated, single minded people who, with just a little nudge can and will succeed...

Take care and all the best of luck

• DTibuni Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 3, 2007
    17. Aug 13, 2009 9:27 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Malyna,

We can accomplish what we set ourselves to do, but the key is to prepare for it. From the sounds of it, you're working on that. My recommendation is to continue to increase the distance a little every week to every other week until you get to where you can run about 10 miles at one time. Alternate short runs, with longer runs during the week and then a very long run on the weekend. Don't forget to rest in between. You slowly progress and you'll be amazed how your body responds; as long as you're healthy. When you do your long runs, eat something small to re-energize your body about an hour after you start and every 45 min-1 hour afterwards. This ensures your muscles are charged and won't give up on you.  Also, pray for the Lord to give you the strength and determination to do it. You can definitely do it!

The first time I ran my first marathon, I started preparing for it in Jan to run it in Jun. I was going for the full so I had to really dedicate myself to the training. Prior to this, I would run about 2 miles at the most. Anyway, I progressed using the above and by the time I ran the San Diego marathon, I was ready. Mind you, that is a tough run with all the hills, but the preparation paid off. Ran it non-stop at 4 hours 32 minutes. Speed was not the concern; finishing it was. Don't worry about speed. run your thirteen miles at your pace. I know you can do it!

Best of Luck!

• ultimatehlth Pro 118 posts since
    Jul 13, 2009
    18. Aug 17, 2009 1:19 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Hey Malyna33,

Tell us how the training is going, would love a status report . I have a client who has lost 135 lbs. to date and every time I train her she amazes me. You can do this.

Cheers!

Weight loss Los Angeles/Hollywood/Studio City

• MISTTennis Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    19. Aug 17, 2009 1:47 PM (in response to Malyna33)

Girl, you are doing so much more than many overweight people do, so concentrate on being proud of yourself and ignore the naysayers.  Sometimes people are comfortable putting you in one category and will have trouble relating to you if you're not the fat chick in the group. Don't worry, they'll adjust if they love you.

I don't know you, but I'm proud of you for setting this goal of the 5K. It can only have positive outcomes.  So run, walk, crawl, moonwalk across that finish line. Be proud of the woman in the mirror.

Tennis, tennis, tennis
  • SocialD Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    21. Sep 1, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to Malyna33)

Malyna,

I did my very first Half Marathon in June 2009, I had only been running an average of 3-4 miles for a couple of months. I have no doubt you will be able to do it just as I did. Just remember to pace yourself that is so important, also just being around all those other people and seeing everyone on the sidelines along the way made me feel like I had so much energy (even though no-one I knew was out there). May I also suggest that you do not take any GUI if they offer it, if you are not use to it, it will only make you sick to your stomache (take my word for it). Stretch really well and drink the water and juice they offer you at every stop, its so important to stay hydraded! I goaled myself at 3 hours and ended up doing it in 2hrs and 37 min, not too bad for my first time. Good Luck!!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points