Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1786 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2009 5:46 PM by Digler RSS 1 2 Previous Next
irun1967 Amateur 33 posts since
Jun 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2009 8:01 AM

Motivation for days you just don't want to run?

I'm training for the Detroit Freep Marathon in October. I have not had any motivation problems doing any of my runs until yesterday. I had an 8 mile run on the schedule, got on the path and 10 steps into the run...all I could think was that I just didn't want to do it. I ended up running a very slow 4 miles (will make up the other 4 tonight) and the entire run all I could think about was not wanting to be running. It was awful.

I've never experienced something like that before and now I'm a bit worried.

Anyone else have days like that - when you just don't want to run? And how do you get past it?

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." - Dean Karnazes

5K - July 2009 - my 1st competive race ever! - 25:58 overall; 8:23/M ,, 8K - August 2009 - 41:28.2 overall, 8:21/M ,, 5K - August 2009 - 25:09 overall; 8:07/M ,, 8K - August 2009 - 42:06 overall; 8:28/M ,, Next race: my FIRST Marathon - October 2009

• dbrown1177 Expert 39 posts since
    Sep 25, 2008
    1. Sep 3, 2009 8:52 AM (in response to irun1967)
    Re: Motivation for days you just don't want to run?

Yes I have times like that too and it usually happens when I do not x-train on the elliptical, cycle, swim or something. My body as well as my mind needs a break a couple of times a week.

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009
    2. Sep 3, 2009 9:26 AM (in response to irun1967)

Like the old time song goes "Mama said there'd be days like this...".  I think every runner goes out at one time or another and their body says NO!  Try the 10 min. rule.  Make yourself go out for 10 min.  Usually once you get going you end up finishing the run.  If after 10 min. you still feel like stopping, go home.  You're just not into it and probably aren't going to get much out of it.  It happens from time to time.  If it happens frequently, you may be getting burned out and it is time to rethink goals or just add in some cross training for a change of pace.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    3. Sep 3, 2009 9:47 AM (in response to bellsway)

I always run on my scheduled days.  Always.  Sometimes I don't want to run just like anybody else but I do it anyway.  But I do understand that once a while my body just isn't having any of it.  I can make myself go out and get started but if it just isn't happening, it just isn't happening.  I have a 2.5 mile "rule" which is the minimum I run before calling it a day.  (Not only is that one loop on my route, but I've discovered that if I'm  feeling worse instead of better by 2 miles it really isn't meant to be that day.)  I'll just get back on the horse again tomorrow.

As far as motivation - it is different for everybody.   Maybe you don't want to break your streak or you want to prove to yourself that you are made of stronger stuff than that little voice that says "NO!  I don't want to do it!"  Or maybe you realize that in the marathon you WILL have moments where you want to bail out and running when you don't want to run will strengthen your willpower for when that happens.

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    4. Sep 3, 2009 10:00 AM (in response to irun1967)

Sue, we are on a marathon, so to speak, whether we ever run 26.2 miles or not.  Don't let one day disturb you.  Rest your body and your mind a few days and then get out there again.

Recently I had a similar experience.  I went out one evening and had nothing.  No energy.  I could harding keep my feet moving.  I was disappointed because I was just beginning my drive towward my first 10k on Sep 26.  Without any experience to draw on, I accepted my condition for that evening.

I had just run 3 5k's in four weeks.  Maybe I was finding out what that does to one's body.  Even though I might run the same distance a couple of times a week, maybe an actual race takes more out of you.  So I shut it down for the night after finishing half of my run.  I had a great run four days later.

So, I had a theoretical reason.  Maybe you do or maybe you don't.  But don't beat yourself up.  Don't baby yourself, but you can be patient with yourself.

Finish well!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    5. Sep 3, 2009 10:03 AM (in response to irun1967)

I actually had a discussion about this with a friend of mine who`s an elite triathlete -  we both have the same attitude - for me saying you don`t feel like running or doing whatever workout is on the books is like saying you don`t feel like the sky being blue today - it just has to be that way - not feeling like doing it is not really an option - for her she just says it`s her job - for me - it`s what I need to do to reach my goal - I know what workouts have been done at what time each day

Obviusly injuries and ilness are another matter - you can`t train thro most of those issue -

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    11. Sep 3, 2009 1:07 PM (in response to irun1967)

Sue, we all have those days.  I don't love every run but I always love the way I'm done with my run EVERYDAY.  Like Spicegeek, not running on a planned day is not an option I give myself.  At this point, I'm running 6 days a week so I get up and I run, that's it (except Mondays when I really appreciate the rest day).  Also a very serious type A, I don't allow myself to not run my plan because I have had historically a lousy track record of exercise.  In my history one day would lead to two would lead to three would lead to 50 pounds later (if not more).  Now, it's not an option.  I know its an off day right away and just accept it as an off day and run the darn plan anyway. I refer to those as "root canal runs", you know you've gotta do it, you hate it when its happening and you're sooooo glad when its over.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    12. Sep 3, 2009 2:37 PM (in response to irun1967)

Do you run the same route every time ? Your body and mind is invovled here -  I have 2 regular running areas - the park has 3 or 4 loops options of differing lengths - I`ll combine loops and directions so the runs are differant - it`s also hilly so my effort changes.

My other regular route is flat along a river - but I have directions I can switch up - sometime I run to the end of the  pier - sometimes I don`t - there`s a little winding path thro a park I will run tho sometimes - just enough that it`s not the same thing each time

On top of that I occasionally run near my office  at lunchtime - I`ll do the odd run be it speed work or a short recovery on the treadmill - sometimes I`ll just run aimlessly thro the little paths in the park - Last weekend I planned a mammoth adventure run all over town.

I also believe in switching things up with weight training, cross training etc - your body can get too used to the same activity

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• taylormade050 Pro 77 posts since
    Aug 24, 2004
    13. Sep 3, 2009 3:19 PM (in response to irun1967)

And how do you get past it?  I think marathon training is different that just regular running for the love of running.  Non marathon training if you don't feel like running it is easy and fine to just bag the day.  For marathon training runs I force myself to run when I don't feel like it by reminding myself how bad I will feel on marathon day if I don't get my training in.  I know I will feel bad but I know I have done the best I could have done to train.  I have been at mile 20 and realized that I should have trained more and do not want to go through that again.  Missing a run in marathon training is not bad but it is bad because the second, third, forth etc... runs are easier to miss because you justify it in your mind.  I think you did great to do 4 as getting out there and doing some running is much better than bagging the whole run.  Good Luck at Detroit.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...