Skip navigation

4452 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2009 12:50 PM by RunDaddyRunx4 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
Aug 21, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 3, 2009 3:37 PM

Has ANYONE suffered ITBS and actually HEALED???

OMG, I'm getting very depressed.  While running a 12-miler on August 2nd, I had a sudden pain on the outside of my right knee.  Ended up walking the last two miles in pain.  Spent the next week running through the pain until it was unbearable on August 9th and I almost had to crawl home...

Having never had a real injury in three years of running, I had no idea what it was.  I found out it was my ITB and spent the next two weeks doing basically walking, biking, swimming (I was in Hawaii and couldn't get to the doctor).  Two weeks ago, I went to my sports medicine doc and they gave me some exercises for strengthening and stretches to do daily and some Celebrex (anti-inflammatory). 

I've been doing my PT religiously and a lot of walk/run, but usually only about five miles.  I can't run solid more than 3-4 miles before it really bothers me and I have to stop.  I can go 5 or more with run/walk, but it doesn't seem to be actually HEALING.  I'm also using the foam roller for the last week which seems to be helping.  I can't bear the thought of not running at ALL for weeks on end!

After reading all the "ITBS support forums" on Runners World and Active, it seems that no one ever actually heals up from this!!!  Everyone is talking about it going on for six, eight months, a year, therapy, can't run more than two miles, etc., etc., etc.  It's sooooooo depressing!!!  and frustrating!  Is it just that the only people posting on the forums are the ones that don't heal, or is this what I can expect, to not be able to run marathons for a year???!!! 

Does anyone actually heal up from this with a few weeks of therapy, anti-inflammatories, and cutting back on the running miles?  I'm trying my best not to totally freak out, but considering I have five marathons scheduled before the end of the year, not to mention BOSTON in April, it's a little difficult.  I'm obviously not going to be able to run Dayton in two weeks...

Does anyone have anything ENCOURAGING to say before I crawl into a hole and die????  I want to run!!!!!

• staving off decrepitude Legend 1,193 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 3, 2009 3:42 PM (in response to FormerBAM)
    Re: Has ANYONE suffered ITBS and actually HEALED???

Testamonial! I have had ITBS and have been HEALED!!! It was before my 1st MCM in 2007.  It appeared in July I believe and was all better by Labor Day and has never come back. There is hope for you Nita!  You shouldn't have run thru the pain though. That only makes it worse. I spent 4 to 6 weeks barely running at all. I did lots of other things that didn't make it hurt. Cycling & elliptical were my mainstays to keep in shape and keep my legs in shape. Did all the ITB stretches and side leg lifts also.  STOP doing all that walk/run stuff and stop running until you make it hurt. Let the piece of anatomy heal!!!  Good luck Nita!

Chocolate is very nice.
  • DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007

MY ITBS comes and goes. But you should seriously buck up pretty lady. No crawling in a hole and dying because I'll come to Texas and find your @ss. And I'm way worse than ITBS  Be patient (I know that's a new word, learn with me here), and rest (two new words, it's a big day) and follow the doctor's orders. Remember: it's not about running today or tomorrow or next week, it's about keeping youself healthy so that you can challenge Charlotte's age group records, right? Think big picture, friend, and hang in there in the short-term. Maybe a new toy would help. Buy yourself that bike already, will ya? Relax and trust the process. You've done a LOT of running and racing over the last two years, a month off might be a good thing in the long run even though it doesn't feel like it now. Hang in there.

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    3. Sep 3, 2009 4:04 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Charlotte,

I injured my knee several years ago. Went through physical therapy for 6 weeks to end the pain and get back to normal activity. There was tenderness and soreness that continued for 6 months. Lots of ice, leg lifts, taping knee, etc.

My injury probably was not the same as yours but because I followed the protocol, the treatment worked and I am able to run now. There will be times you feel nothing is working and no progress is being made. Hang in there! Better times follow.

Mike

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    4. Sep 3, 2009 4:55 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita, I'm a chicken, as soon as something hurts, I stop everything I'm doing except walking, till it start to feel better.  The older you get, the more you know that that body has to last you a while longer and preferable without pain.  So lady, give yourself a break, walk, swim, sit on your but (and enjoy it) and let the dam thing heal.

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Sep 3, 2009 6:55 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita - I have never had to deal with ITBS, but I have been injured and had to take a LONG time off and come back SLOWLY. It about killed me. I know that you feel like a caged animal right now and depressed and frustrated. Hang in there, my friend.

There was a silver-lining to my injuries. I learned a lot about listening to and respecting my body. That was a harder than expected lesson to learn. I am healthier and more balanced now. 

Maybe try to find something else to do that would be a fun challenge. Take up Pilates or Yoga, try the 100 push-up challenge, learn to swim and breathe on both sides.  Something...anything...that will keep you active and distracted from not running.

I will run for cupcakes!!

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 3, 2009 7:06 PM (in response to HALOjen)

Hi Nita,

I can't offer up anything about ITBS since I've been lucky enough to at least not get that, but I'm right there with you in terms of possibly being injured enough to make future running a bit of a question mark.  I'm quite likely looking at a slightly torn meniscus in my right knee.  Fortunately, it hasn't hurt while running and I'm still running at this point, but it ain't feeling normal and it's got me a bit worried about things in the long run.  I'll go back to the orthopedic doctor later this month to review my MRI. Guess I'll know more then.

Patience, Grasshopper.  You'll recover and run strong again!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    7. Sep 3, 2009 7:21 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Hi NIta.

I think I had this earlier in the springtime. It affected my hip mostly, but also the knee. I am happy to report that I feel much better. I am convinced that the foam roller helped. The ITB gets sore occasionally, but I just try to stretch it out.

I think you are doing all the right things, but also sympathize with your feelings. You will be better before you know it.

I also got an IT Band knee strap and it really seems to help!  Try it out.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• Steelers21 Legend 592 posts since
    Apr 8, 2008
    8. Sep 3, 2009 11:31 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Sorry to hear about the knee problems, Nita.  I have had problems on-and-off with my right knee for several years, due to cartilage damage.  I ran very hard, and (for me) pretty fast about 8 weeks ago.

The next day, the outside of my oft-painful right knee was sore as heck.  The knee usually hurts on the inside, not the outside.  It was seriously sore for a week, and prevented any running beyond 3 miles.

I mentioned the problem to my daughter, who is a college ahlete and spent her share of time in the trainer's room.  She advised me that it was likely I had injured my IT band.  She said that one of her former teammates suffered the same problem, and treated it with rest, ice, Aleve 2x per day, and a styrofoam ball that she rolled up and down the leg suffering the problem.

I followed suit.  No running.  Ice at least 2x per day.  Aleve 2x per day.  Used the styrofoam ball-thingy and ran it up and down the outside of my right leg a couple of times per day.  Did so for 7 days ... at the end of which, the IT problems were basically gone.  It flared up once more, but I took the Aleve, used the styrofoam ball-thingy, and viola!  No pain once again.

IT issues can be cured.  Daughter says her teammate was not bothered by the problem with this treatment, and I can say the same thing.  I have not gone more than 6.2 miles since I "cured" the problem, but that is not due to the IT issues with the right leg.  That is due, instead, to the meniscus issues in the right knee and general conditioning.

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    9. Sep 3, 2009 11:52 PM (in response to Steelers21)

Nita~

After my very first marathon in 2006 I had some kller pain that kept me from walking the rest of the day without limping significantly. It continued on for days afterwards and i tried running a few days later.  It was my ITB and I had had it one ime prior.  I went to the doc and he confirmed my suspicion and ordered me up some Motrin or some sort of anti inflamatory that did little.  I took it religiously and eased back into my unning.  I could make it to mile 3-4 with no problem but could feel it coming on about then.  I steped back and ran a few 2-4 mile runs and stopped the minute I started to feel it.  After roughly two months I started to feel better.  Let me also say I did the lean to the side stretch, if it is the right leg place the left leg in front of the right leg and lean to the left putting a stretch on the outter part of the leg.  Rub it while stretching.  I fully recovered and have not had any other physical problem since.  And that is all hile running 20+ more marathons.  I stretch my feet and ITB all the time and no problemss at all.  Give it its due respect and recover.  I am a minimalist and would say not to over stretch/exercise it.

This place is like home!!!!

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    10. Sep 3, 2009 11:52 PM (in response to Steelers21)

Nita~

After my very first marathon in 2006 I had some kller pain that kept me from walking the rest of the day without limping significantly. It continued on for days afterwards and i tried running a few days later. It was my ITB and I had had it one ime prior. I went to the doc and he confirmed my suspicion and ordered me up some Motrin or some sort of anti inflamatory that did little. I took it religiously and eased back into my unning. I could make it to mile 3-4 with no problem but could feel it coming on about then. I steped back and ran a few 2-4 mile runs and stopped the minute I started to feel it. After roughly two months I started to feel better. Let me also say I did the lean to the side stretch, if it is the right leg place the left leg in front of the right leg and lean to the left putting a stretch on the outter part of the leg. Rub it while stretching. I fully recovered and have not had any other physical problem since. And that is all hile running 20+ more marathons. I stretch my feet and ITB all the time and no problemss at all. Give it its due respect and recover. I am a minimalist and would say not to over stretch/exercise it.   You can recover from this.

JImmy

This place is like home!!!!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    11. Sep 4, 2009 5:28 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I had and contiune to get stiff (but not bad), During my 1st cycle had ITB bad and got two deep tissue massages that work!! They saved my marathon.

• HanHail Legend 219 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    12. Sep 4, 2009 6:34 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita -

Your silence all these days was so deafening that I knew something was up. I don't think I can be of much help here, but I'll just say this: You'll get over it.

Out of the 5 most common runner injuries, I've had 4 of them except ITBS. Most of them take a long time to heal, but some are worse than others - you can run through shin splints and PF, but ITBS forces you to stop. Like Jimmy said, it may not be a good idea to over-stretch it. You may want to stop anything that bends your knee 45 degrees or more.

I'm sure you've tried, but have you found a cause, any as listed here?

Hope and pray you get better real soon. Till then, enjoy the downtime - do some yoga (no squats though!).

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Sep 4, 2009 6:57 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita,

About two months ago (I think), I had ITBS. 

The good news is with a week off completly, and stretching EVERY DAY, tow or three times, the pain went away.  Completly gone.  I got so I'd stretch by crossing my leg with my ankle over my other thigh and pressing down on the knee with my had while sitting just about anywhere.  I'd hold it for a couple minutes then switch sides.  Remember the ITB is not a muscle and needs longer to stretch.  I'm also a very inflexible person. 

The bad news is I was off a week due to surgery, and failed to stretch while laid up.  I went back out on my regularly scheduled long run and yup...ITBS is back with a vengeance.  I'm PLANNING on running the MCM but am also VERY discouraged right now.  It's back to the rest and stretch routine, and praying I can compete in October. 

Keep your chin up and enjoy the flexibility exercises until you're back to your usual unbelievable training routine.  Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• PersianP Legend 468 posts since
    Oct 14, 2008
    14. Sep 4, 2009 7:31 AM (in response to FormerBAM)

I had it a few years ago and kept running, it affected my knee and hip and it took almost a year to get over it.(snowball effect)

My brother started hearting during the San Antonio marathon last November. We had to walk to finish. He has stopped running for several month at a time and as soon as he starts running pain comes back about 3 miles in to the run. He has been doing a lot of exercise in the pool.

Take care

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points