Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9783 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 11:28 AM by Kpoulelis 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
beckyb0217 Amateur 15 posts since
Sep 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 4, 2009 8:22 AM

New c25k participant. I am scared.

Hi everyone. I am going to start this c25k program and I'm terrified. I am going to get new shoes tonight. Anyone have any recommendations? I am a 31 year old wife and mother of 3 who is about 100 pounds overweight. I ran in highschool and LOVED it. I want to get back to that. Thank you for reading.

• wildfreightess Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 6, 2006
    1. Sep 4, 2009 8:41 AM (in response to beckyb0217)
    Re: New c25k participant. I am scared.

Don't be afraid - be EXCITED!!  If there is a store near you get your gait analyzed so they can recommend a few shoes that fit the way you run.  If there's not a runninng store near you, it's worth the drive to find one!  I was amazed at the difference it made for me!  I'm a 3-time C25K grad (sometimes it's so easy to fall off the wagon, but C25K helped me get back on every time - and every time it's easier, lol).  When I was first starting, people on this forum told me to go SLOW at first.  I mean, old ladies were passing me up in their walkers, I was running so slow.  But speed came with time.   Good luck, have fun, and kudos to you for finding time to take care of yourself!

• EM88FR Amateur 21 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    2. Sep 4, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Hey Becky, congrats!!!! I'm starting with a few other buddies I met after posting that I'm starting on Monday. What a way to start labor day huh? Listen I get butterflies in my stomach and I get really nervous when I run. I'm from Texas and I started running in the spring and then dropped it when I couln't handle the weather which by the way is just one more excuse. I'm doing a 5mile run Saturday morning with a running club which I'm absolutley crazy for signing up to do but hey it'll prepare me for Monday. I hate running because I get injured a lot; shin splints especially which aren't fun. But guess what? I just turned 27 and I wan't to set a goal to be able to run long distance. I admire people who run b/c it takes courage and strength not to mention mental focus. I want that BADLY!! We'll do it together and guess what I'll keep you posted and I'll check in with you too! You go girl!!! We can do it.  Whether you think you can or can't........Either way you're right!!! Henry Ford.

Good Luck and Happy Running

Michelle

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2009 8:56 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

I promise...at a good store, they won't be laughing.  They'll be hoping you succeed.  Then they can suck you into all their races, LOL. 

Just kidding.  All good running stores have one goal in mind, to get you (ANYONE) running without getting you hurt!  They don't make money if you don't run and they don't make money if you get hurt.  They ain't laughing at you!!!!

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • Katedog Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    6. Sep 4, 2009 9:36 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Beckyb: CONGRATS on beginning the program! What about the program makes you terrified? 

I would say, however, if you're 100lbs overweight to take it slow.  I'm on a journey to drop 50lbs (i'm now down 36) and there was no way I could get through the first week when I was at my heaviest. I lost about 20lbs before I could get through Week 1. 

You, however, are a former runner so I'm sure you will transition much better I could (the non-runner).  Just food for thought because not being able to get through a workout can sometimes be discouraging.

Congratulations again!!

Kate NYC 

WEEK 8 

• EM88FR Amateur 21 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    8. Sep 4, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to Katedog)

Congrats Katedog on your 36lb weight loss!!! I'm also on a 50lb mission which so far I've only done I think 4lb. Considering I just started really focusing and doing both diet and excercise, its pretty good. I know I won't loose it over night so I just need to be patient and hopefully like you can soon say I'm more than half way done. You're my new inspiration!! Thanks everyone for all the support and motivation. Hopefully some of you guys are on twitter and we can twitter away as well for extra advice!!

Happy running.

Michelle 

• msyounk Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    9. Sep 4, 2009 9:59 AM (in response to EM88FR)

I too am overweight... I ran in high school as a soccer player and want to get back in to some short-of shape.  I went to a reputable running store and the people there were GREAT.  Hooked me up with a excellent pair of shoes and really encouraged me in what I was trying to do.  I'm 3 weeks into the c25k program and already starting to feel better.  I have more energy, am sleeping better and I am more conscious of what I am eating, which is helping as well. 

I'm posting to encourage you to "just do it.".    So far this program is exactly what I needed to get going.  It's not overwhelming, it's easy to do and I am having fun, and some early success with it.

Good Luck from another fellow newbie!

• msyounk Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    11. Sep 4, 2009 10:34 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Food journal has helped me tremendously... Keeps me honest, and has helped me make better decisions because I don't want to have to write down bad food.  I also have asked my wife to help keep my honest by reviewing it once a week with me, so I have some built in accountability.  I have become quite attached to my own little ones and intend to be around to watch them grow old...  It is exactly why I got going again...    Good luck!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    12. Sep 4, 2009 11:52 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Oh Becky, don't be afraid - Be excited to do something for you!

I'm facing the same overweight issues. I cannot run, YET. I'm walking 100+ miles a month at about a 14 minute mile. Do it for YOU.

Find a running store in your area - Fleet Feet is a good one and all over the place. It is well worth the extra money to get shoes and accessories that fit and work best for you and your body style. Set yourself up for success by choosing wisely and doing what needs to be done.

Good luck....YOU CAN DO THIS

Susan

p.s...for what it is worth I've dropped 30 pounds in 3 months, feel much better and I'm eating better

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    13. Sep 4, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky, they will not laugh you out of the store.  On the contrary, they will see a person who is starting a program to get into shape - new customer for them!  They will anticipate getting your business for all your shoes and running gear since you are just starting out.   They are professionals who are there to give you the tools to succeed because that is their business.

As for running in front of others, I feel your pain.  When I started getting back into shape two years ago I had about 60 lbs to lose.  I confess I worked out on the elliptical trainer at home until I lost 30 lbs before I went out in public to run.   But I still have 30 extra pounds and I run alongside the skinny people all the time now and don't give it a thought.  I see heavier people out there too and all I think is "good for them!"  If I see someone who is obviously overweight and new to running, I secretly admire them and wish them well.  It takes courage and determination to get out there and walk or run.  But the good news is that when you have a lot of weight to lose it comes off pretty quickly.  (but those last 30 lbs aren't coming off so easily, that's for sure!)

Also, I'll say if you loved running in high school, I think you will love it again.  There are some people who instinctively love running and others who just never warm up to it.   So your past experience is a good indication that you will do well once you get into it again.  GOOD LUCK!  

• MugsyMac Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Sep 4, 2009 1:08 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Hi! Don't be scared. I am in the same boat now but was also in the same boat 3 yrs ago and I was able to complete the program.

3 yrs ago I was 100lbs overweight and started C25K and did well at it. I started by walking on a treadmill for a few months before I started the program because in the beginning, just walking on the treadmill for 10 min was extremely difficult. I then went to a shoe store that was able to video tape my gait so I could get the proper shoes. No, they didn't laugh at me and I felt very comfortable there, even excited because I knew I was doing something great for myself. On another note, in my mind, running was always unobtainable. I've been overweight my whole life and never came close to thinking I could run. I did the C25K program and amazingly I was a runner!

Flash-forward to now. I'm more overweight now than I was 3 yrs ago but I'm ready to try again. I've been working on losing weight now and walking 2x/day for almost 3 weeks now. I'm going to continue to walk for a awhile longer and then go get new sneakers and start the program again. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

If you need someone to chat with and get support from, please let me know. I would love to have that kind of help and support too and someone else in the same boat as myself would be great!

Let me know.

-Megan

Stuff About Me:

5/2/11 RNY Gastric Bypass surgery (the day my life changed forever!)

Completed Races:

9/18/11 Saratoga Palio (my first 5k)

10/2/11 The ROC 5k Run

10/22/11 The Great Pumpkin 5k

Upcoming Races:

5/5/13 Twin Lights Half Marathon

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points