Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9814 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 11:28 AM by Kpoulelis Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • MinkeOR Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 4, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 4, 2009 1:23 PM (in response to MugsyMac)
    Re: New c25k participant. I am scared.

Becky:

The funny thing about running is that we all have to start somewhere. The good thing is that you'll find a lot of people start in similar shoes as you. When I did I was overweight and just made the decision that I was going to run. The tricky part for me came when I had to keep making that decision. Running takes a lot of personal commitment because you may not see outward changes right away, but you must have patience with yourself.

I was born with a heart condition and running helped me to gain control of my condition by training my heart to be more efficient. I had to have patience with myself while my body adapted to what I was asking it to do. And I had to learn to trust that my body knew what it was doing and that I had to work with it instead of forcing it to do something it wasn't ready for. I still struggle with that but it gets easier.

I saw an ad in a magazine that basically hammered home that everytime you step out the door and complete a run, you've gained something. That it takes sacrifice, but to run without sacrifice is meaningless.

You have everything to gain from this experience. Embrace the ups and the downs (that was my hardest part) and good luck. You can do it.

-Esther

"You look both terrified and determined at the same time."- Nobriga, during springboard diving

"Yeah, that about sums my entire life thus far."- Me

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    16. Sep 4, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky, I am 100 pounds overweight and am on Week 7 Day 2. I ran 28 min straight this morning. I used to walk but no great distance and I am not fast by any means. I did it and am doing it; you can too. I just made sure I took it slow; the running part. I always take a day off between runs and I always warm up 5 min and cooldown 5 min. I haven't  had any major trouble. I am running about 16.5 - 17 min miles but I am doing it. I am just trying to build up endurance right now. YOU can do it!!! Just listen to your body. I haven't had to repeat a week or day yet but I know I still have alot of work to do even when I graduate from C25K in two weeks.

• CarrieNixon Pro 119 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    19. Sep 5, 2009 9:55 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Hey Becky!

You just inspired me to join the forum...

I started C25K 2 years ago, got to about the 4th week, got bronchitis and quit. The coughing was one thing, but running with my knees together so I wouldn't pee my pants while coughing was difficult.

I'm 31 also. 2 years ago during the running program, I got down to 169lbs. Now, 2 years of anti-anxiety meds and no exercise, I'm about 222lbs. And I should mention only 5'3.

Anyhow, I am wanting to start again, and was unsure if it was safe to start at this weight. I really have no desire to start walking, because the results when I did it before were sooooooo fast and obvious. You get a major "high" from running. That's what makes you want to keep at it. I was just too embarrassed to ask anyone if I can do it at this weight.

This was meant as a private message, but think I'll post it on the forum too.... part of me committing to the program...

Did you begin the program yet?

Visit my blog @ www.adayinthelifeofcarrien.blogspot.com

WEEK  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Began September 7, 2009

• wildfreightess Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 6, 2006
    20. Sep 5, 2009 10:44 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Wow, this is one of the best, most positive and encouraging threads I've seen in a while.  Becky, thanks for starting it.  Everyone else, thanks for reminding me why I love this sport so much.  Becky, please keep us posted on your progress - we're all rooting for you!

GROUP HUG!!! 

• Gerri W Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 17, 2007
    21. Sep 5, 2009 11:29 AM (in response to Katedog)

That is so great that you're doing this.  I agree that you should start of slowly and build up.  I started with walking three miles a day and then transitioned into running.  I was a heavy smoker when I started, but I lost 30 pounds.  I quit smoking & gained the 30 pounds back, but I'm healthy now.  I'm 51 years old and run about 18 miles per week.  It is so empowering to take control of your life and your body.  Good luck to you!  And hang in there...

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    22. Sep 6, 2009 8:22 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky, Trust me, not everyone who runs and is thin now started out this way.  I started running last July and I too had a lot of weight to lose.  I didn't start out for that reason and still believe it or not for me it isn't for weight loss, but it has been a nice perk.  I started for my DS to help him with a goal he had to achieve (I was there to help support and coach him through his runs) but in the process I got hooked, big time.  Once he achieved his goal, he stopped running and I kept going.  I always had a weight problem, up and down yo yo dieter for years and had given up on any real weight loss, figured I'd be a pleasantly plump (alright I was down right fat) middle aged gal.  I too was afraid of what I looked like running but to solve that problem, I ran in the am....very early am.  Started running before work to avoid the evening neighborhood gossip (everyone is always outside after work and school aren't they)?  Now, I have my habbit going for me but don't really give a **** about what anyone thinks...remember, those people are the ones sitting around NOT doing anything for their health.  The real runners are going to be there cheering you on,  no matter what you weigh or look like!  Get good shoes, make committment today to get out there and make the same committment every time you plan to run.  Take your time, and most of all, enjoy it.  You may not love every run, but I promise you will always love how you feel (both mentally and physically) when you are done with a run.  You are really giving yourself a gift......and you are empowering yourself by taking the control back!  Good luck, and post often so we know your progress!

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• MsCoyote Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    24. Sep 6, 2009 8:17 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Go Becky GO!

Ahhh, now that's out of my system.  This thread is great.  When I started C25K I was overweight and 8 months post hip replacement.  So imagine how stupid I looked "waddling" around the track, sucking wind from every opening in my body, talking to myself so I wouldn't quit.   I know you're self-conscious, but I think you know the risk is worth the reward! 

Keep us posted!

MsC

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming,"WOO HOO!!! What a Ride!"

• beachbum90 Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    25. Sep 7, 2009 8:47 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

This is the perfect place for me!  I have been looking for a group who were in a similiar situation as me.  I too am about 100 pounds overweight, I quit smoking 8 weeks ago and have been doing the C25K for about 8 weeks.  I hurt myself in the beginning and had to stop to let my body heal and start over (I did this twice).  I have to listen to my body and not be afraid to take is easy, I am determined to finish this thing it just may take awhile.

I completely understand your angst about going to the running store, I was sick to my stomach when I was driving to the store but once I got there it was great, they were excited for me to be a part of my journey to being healthy.  My salesperson listened to me and my concerns we went through several pairs of shoes before finding the one's I liked.

I have now completed W1D2 and feel pretty good, I have a little soreness in my hips but it's just soreness not injury.  I am starting some cross training on my off days from running, I am going to do some swimming and cycling.  I have found the first race I am going to compete in, it's the first part of December.  I am giving myself plenty of time to get through the program.

Keep in touch I'd like to know how it's going to you..

Karen

• Eekee2 Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    26. Sep 7, 2009 9:29 AM (in response to beachbum90)

This is a great place for support. I'm mostly a lurker, but have posted a few times. I'm in my 13th week of running. I ran my way up to week 7 and started having trouble with my knee. So I've backed up to week 5, and am doing the 8 and 8 every workout until my knee feels stronger. It feels so good to run and I hate when I can't! I'm also slower than molasses. My goal is to run 4 mph consistantly! Right now I'm around 3.7. I usually run on the treadmill, as everytime I run outside (which I enjoy) I end up with more knee pain.

I'm a 32 year old mom, with another 30 or so pounds I'd like to lose. I'm down 9 pounds since I started. I'd like it to be more, but lately I haven't been watching what I eat. It seems when I run, I eat well, and when I don't run, I eat everything I see! :lol:

Anyway, YOU GO GIRL! 

Aug 2, 2009
    27. Sep 7, 2009 10:16 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

I am a hundred pounds overweight too and 49 years old. I just finished  Week 8 Day 2.  I run slow; 16.5 to 17 min miles right now but I am doing it. You can do it. I even run in my neighborhood and if people see me; I just smile and wave. They have been waving at me now and I think cheering me on. If not, I don't care anymore; I am doing it for me and my health.

Aug 2, 2009
    29. Sep 7, 2009 11:11 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky - you are doing great! just getting out there is a victory! Just keep doing it and try to add to it when you are ready. You will get there - just don't give up. You can do it!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points