Skip navigation

2943 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2009 10:22 AM by Carriej23 RSS
zutzut Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 3, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2009 7:38 AM

Brick during race week?

HI all I have my first Olympic Saturday. Should I do a brick the week of my race. And if so what distance?

• campkeuka Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Sep 7, 2009 10:39 AM (in response to zutzut)
    Re: Brick during race week?

Zut -- congrats on taking on your first Oly distance!  I know this is probably too late and you've already raced (and done well for that matter), but thought I'd reply for your future info.  In short, I think it's fine to do a brick, but would suggest that you alter the type of brick based on what you want to achieve in your race.  If it's an "A" race for you (i.e., one of your big race and you're tapering your training effort), you can do a "quick brick" to focus on staying sharp and honing in on the race pace speed without further breaking down your body.  For example: (Ride 10 mins then run 5 mins) x 3 and gradually build each leg from easy to race pace.  If it's not an "A" race, I'd suggest you train right through it, maybe backing off slightly on the volume and intesity from a normal brick workout since you'll get plenty of both on race day.  Hope that helps!

• Phillip Goodwin Amateur 8 posts since
    May 20, 2008
    2. Sep 7, 2009 4:26 PM (in response to zutzut)

Since this is your first Olympic distance, then unless you've trained hard (and specifically) for it, you may find it a tough step up from sprints (after all, it takes almost 3 times as long to complete).  In the week prior to the event, there's nothing much you can do to improve your fitness, so whatever you do needs to be in moderation, especially in the few days before the event.  For example, if you were thinking of doing similar to race distances, it should be no later than the weekend before the event.  I am assuming that this  is a significant event for you and therefore a) you would not want to risk overtraining in the last week, b) you have no need to train for another significant event in the weeks immediately following this event.

• Carriej23 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 5, 2007
    4. Sep 8, 2009 10:22 AM (in response to zutzut)

Way to go, zutzut!! I am competing in my first olympic this weekend and I'm scared to death. ha But equally excited. You never know what you are capable of, eh?

Great advice, all. I will use it this week as I taper before the big day.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...