Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8830 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 11:28 AM by Kpoulelis RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 7, 2009 11:21 AM (in response to beckyb0217)
    Re: New c25k participant. I am scared.

Becky,

GOOD FOR YOU...that is 15 more minutes of exercise today than the day before!  GOOD JOB!  Tomorrow is another day to do more.  So is the next day...but let them take care of themselves.  Good for you for the 15 minutes.  We are all applauding your efforts

Susan

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Katedog Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    31. Sep 7, 2009 11:36 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky - H A N G  I N  T H E R E !

Check my earlier to post to you. I mentioned that I had to drop some lbs before starting C25K.  I learned this the hard and tearful way too; I climbed the treadmill and lasted roughly 20 seconds at a 3.8 jog. I felt nothing more than a wheezing sweaty blob. Bottom line, my cardiovascular system couldn't support the exercise. So I walked on the treadmill, walked outside, took stairs when I could, and signed up for a spinning class... huffing and puffing though all of it.  4-5 months later I built strenth, dropped lbs and was able to start C25K. I still had a tough, tough start but at least I was able to get through D1, D2, etc. -- Keep in mind, everyone's journey is different, some may be able to start sooner than others but just wanted to let you know your experience was similar to mine, and probably many others.  Here's an idea: to keep "on the program" how about walking a comfortable paced walk during the "brisk walk" intervals of C25K, and performing a brisk walk during the "running" intervals.   -- Whatever you decide, give yourself a huge hug for having the courage to start!!  Yay Becky!

Kate NYC 

WEEK 8 

• Katedog Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    32. Sep 7, 2009 11:43 AM (in response to Gerri W)

Gerri - High five to you! I never smoked, but you could say my "cigs" were pizza and chips (just wish there could've been a patch or gum to help me wean).   You're so right about feeling empowered about taking control of your life and body - can't believe I'm Week 5. Everytime I complete a day, I feel like I could run forever... 

Kate NYC 

WEEK 8 

• Deborah Steinberg Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 19, 2008
    33. Sep 7, 2009 11:47 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

dear becky:  good for you for getting out there, and don't worry what the people in the store will say, because it is their job to get you the right fit.  but if you are embarrassed enough that it will keep you from buying shoes in the first place, then a good alternative is to go to a sporting goods store with a large selection, take your own socks (and insoles if you need them), and spend a long time walking or running around the store in each pair that you try on.  make sure that you don't buy them too tight.  usually the running shoe you need will be from 1/2 to 1 full size larger than your street shoe size, and your feet may swell after you have been running for a while.  pick a shoe that has a large enough toe box.  also start by walking with a little jogging mixed in, and gradually you will be jogging more and walking less.  gradually build up to 3 miles and you will be on your way!!  good luck!

deborah

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    34. Sep 9, 2009 8:50 AM (in response to Deborah Steinberg)

Hey Becky, congrats on getting started.  Don't get discouraged.  The first thing to recover/improve is going to be your cardio capacity.  You'll be amazed. Just go slow, repeat weeks and remember every day you get out there is one step closer to your goal.  One thing I have found since I started,  no matter how fat, tired, sweaty  ...whatever I feel , people at the track are looking at me and smiling, because I'm finally out DOING something about it. And so are you.  Your hard first day  can be disheartening but try to focus on that.  It's baby steps, but baby steps in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

And for anyone who hasn't already I can't recommend strongly enough  the book "Born to run"  by Chris McDougall.... not because I think I'll ever be an ultra marathoner,  but because  of the way everyone in the book talks about the FUN of running.  I remember it as a kid and  I want that back!  It's about being healthy and getting fit, but there is FUN to be had in this, look for it!

Finally,  whether you adopt it or not, ( my wife and I have) , I urge everyone to do some research on barefoot running.  Not perhaps to actually do it, but to learn about the stride and  style of barefooting and apply that to  shod running.  There is a lot of compelling evidence,   and for me the most compelling is  I can't run  400meters in running shoes with a traditional "heel strike" style,  but my first day of C25K  I ran/walked almost a 1.5 miles in 23 minutes and felt no pain.   Keep an open mind, look, read  ... it may help make getting started easier

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• Ksmack Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    35. Sep 9, 2009 8:42 AM (in response to Katedog)

OK, I am going to start tonight. I love to run and cycle. For the past 2 years I have been in a downward spiral. I have gained 45 pounds and started smoking.

Not the way I want to live my life. With the upcoming ski season upon me, I really need to drop some weight and the bad habit. With a cooler weather the next few days this is the perfect time for me to get out there and JUST DO IT.   I had promised my niece I woudl run in a 5K by the end of the year with her... I need to get off my duff.

Any words of encouragement or anyone wanting to stay in touch to keep each other on track, please let me know.

Jun 11, 2009
    36. Sep 9, 2009 9:19 AM (in response to Ksmack)

Can't help you with the smoking part but as for the exercise and weight....good for you on the decision!  You can do it...one little day at a time is all it takes.

My spouse just called...he gave up potato chips and started walking with me.  I started in June and he in mid July.  That guy has dropped 53 pounds today!  I am so proud of him I could just burst at the seams.  Of course men drop weight faster the little finks.  I've dropped 30 pounds just by walking.  It works!

Susan in CA

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009

Hey now Susan....  not so fast!   My Darling Wife loses weight MUCH easier and faster than me.  I can count calories,  eat small meals and exercise 4x 30 every week and lose 1-2 pounds and she'll lose 10.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

Jul 7, 2009

I need to remember that...baby steps. I use to run so much and up to 10 & 15 miles at a time. Starting from scratch is hard. I started running the beginning of the summer but couldn't stand the heat. I tend to get discouraged as well given the fact I cant run as well as I would like. Wow, you and your husband have done terrific. Thanks for the inspiration!   

• PHXMama Expert 40 posts since
    Aug 20, 2009
    39. Sep 9, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

I hear you girl!  I was scared too.  I went to a running store to get my shoes, and just happened to be there the same day the university track athletes were there getting thiers!  You know what though, everyone was supportive and encouraging and I am so glad I did it.  The C25K is great for setting mini-goals and feeling a sense of accomplishment.  You can do it!

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever

Jun 11, 2009
    40. Sep 9, 2009 9:50 AM (in response to Wideguy)

LOL, thanks WideGuy....glad it isn't just me! 

I swear all that guy gave up was potato chips....me?  I gave up EVERYTHING and walk miles and miles each and every day.  Not him.  I am very proud of him.  I just don't get it...how come I can gain 45 pounds over night and lose only 1 pound in a week?  LOL

Susan in CA

Jun 11, 2009
    41. Sep 9, 2009 9:53 AM (in response to Ksmack)

Exactly, KSMack...baby steps.  I can't run, it is just too hard on my body but I can manage a 14 minute mile walking.  There are other who walk way faster than that.  But I enjoy my time out and about.  The heat is a killer.  My 10k was in 98 degree heat and oh it was miserable.  I'm in central CA and it is hot here in the summer, hence the fewer miles in July than June.  But I work to find a time that I can deal with it and just do it.

Don't think of what you used to do....that is a waste of time.  Think of what you CAN do now. 

Susan in CA

Jul 7, 2009

A 14 minute mile is great. I cant run a 14 minute mile right now LOL.  So true, the past is gone!! I live in Colorado so the weather will start to be PERFECT!  I also bike so I'm going to throw that in the mix as well.  Thanks for sharing!!

Karen

Jul 7, 2009
    43. Sep 9, 2009 10:11 AM (in response to PHXMama)

That's good they were encouraging. I am already looking forward to running tonight. I'm going to follow the 9 week plan, I REALLY want to stick to it. This will help.  I have a print out to post on my desk at work and one to put on my fridge...this may also stop me from eating when I shouldn't,  I tend to eat when I'm bored. 

• NOLAviajera Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    44. Sep 9, 2009 10:17 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

I hear you all - I'm about 40 pounds overweight, and most of the other joggers where I go are skinny.  The other night I had 60 year old men flying by me (I'm 36)!  But whatever, it's a start.  As someone wisely said above, you have to focus on what you can do now, not on what either others can do or what you used to be able to do.

I also totally relate to WideGuy and others.  My ex-boyfriend would eat tons of junk food, and all he'd have to do was eat a few less potato chips and he'd drop 10 pounds effortlessly in a couple weeks.  Me, I spent 2 years on low-carb diets, eating 1200-1500 calories/day and working out 6-8 hours/week, and still basically maintained a constant weight, despite having a BMI of about 30!  So I'm not deluding myself into thinking that I'll ever get "skinny".  I just want to get back to where I was then, where my clothes fit better and I feel better.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points