Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

This thread is locked
19514 Views 189 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2009 4:57 AM by CarrieNixon RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Laurie5b Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    46. Sep 9, 2009 2:29 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)
    Re: 200lb + Group

I just joined. I was hoping to be

inspired and I am. I never say my weight out loud...

too embarrassing. I can't tell you how it makes me feel to see others

here, putting themselves out there, loud and strong, it gives me

strength. I just turned 46 and spent last year dieting, walking and

weightlifting and lost 100 pounds.  I never thought i'd put the

weight back on but here I am 20 pounds heavier.  I need a place of

encouragement. I don't know how I expected my weight loss to effect

my life but I guess I was expecting more... been a little down in the

dumps about that. I'm glad you guys are here and look forward to

support from people who understand.

• brpssm Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    47. Sep 9, 2009 3:29 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

CarriNixon - First, thanks for starting this thread!!!!

It (Atkins and low-carb) really isn't eggs and bacon and cheese every day -- that is such a huge misconception about low-carb diets that so many people have because it seems that is how it is always presented.  

Anyone who tells you Atkins is about eating as much bacon, egss and cheese as you want has no idea what they are talking about!    I'm not pushing Atkins, I think everyone needs to find what works for them, but I like to clear up misconceptions about what the plan is.  I guarantee a lot of people would be shocked at what the real Atkins entire plan (there are 4 phases, not just the first phase which everyone knows about) looks like and if they looked at the food diaries of those people who have been successful long term.  I regularly eat a lot of veggies, fresh berries, flax, even oatmeal on long run days, and all this is within my Atkins plan.   

The plan has actually helped me understand why my body reacts the way it does to foods, why I was always hungry before on other weight loss plans, and what I can and cannot eat to keep my blood-sugar/insulin response in control.  I have never been healthier and I see my doctor every 6 months for a full physical (I have one tomorrow!).

/Darlene

5km - August 30th - FINISHED 32:50
    5km - September 13th - FINISHED 32:16
    5km - October 4th - Run For The Cure COMPLETED NO TIMING

10km - October 11th - FINISHED 1:11:59

10km - November 7th - Goal:  To finish in < 1:10:00

• ShelbyDellaRosa Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    48. Sep 9, 2009 3:55 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hi everybody.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.  I'm

Shelby.  I was at 273 four weeks ago and now I'm at 258.  I've been

walking two miles a day and just started C25K today.  It felt great but

I'm ashamed to say I wasn't able to run the whole length of any of the

runs and had to revert back to walking.  So I figure I'm going to have

to repeat Week 1 once or twice.  I really don't mind because, like so

many of you, I'm in this for the long haul!

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and share in the journey with you!

Shelby

Walking toward fitness in 2010

• henrycalhoun51 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 28, 2009
    49. Sep 9, 2009 4:22 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

I have seen lots of diets mentioned here. What worked for my wife was first taking out some refined foods, then slowly cutting things she knew was bad for her. It took a year to really get where she needed to but now she is rolling along perfectly thanks to the slow changes she made. It ended up becoming a lifestyle change and that was what made all the difference.

• Hoofbeats Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    50. Sep 9, 2009 4:52 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hi everyone! 

I'm a newb to running and haven't even started yet.  Reading everyone's replies and personal stories is inspiring and very encouraging.  I have a question though.  Was anyone scared to begin their weight loss journey?  Because, stupid and embarrassing as it sounds, I am kind of scared.  Scared of so many things that really do seem stupid, and I'm mad at myself for feeling this way. 

Even though I'm apprehensive, I feel like now is the time and that I'm ready to take my life in my own hands and change for the better.

• ShelbyDellaRosa Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 31, 2009
    51. Sep 9, 2009 5:06 PM (in response to Hoofbeats)

I was afraid of starting and failing again.  That's what I've always been good at.  But I've noticed that things are different this time -- I'M different this time.  I'm doing it for my own reasons and nobody's pushing me.  My first day today sucked in my eyes because 20 years ago I was a runner.  But that was 20 years ago.  I'm 46 now, been on the couch for a decade and a half, and gained crazy weight.

So once I understood that my motivations for weight loss and health this time are MY OWN and this is in MY TIME, I felt okay with it!  I've had bad days Sunday, Monday and Tuesday this week with regards to my weight loss program and fitness portion.  Not disastrous but bad enough that I"m not happy with it.  In the old days, this would've been my excuse to quit.  "Well, you 've blown it, may as well go back to sticking your head in the fridge and your butt on the couch."  But this morning I realized I LIKE how I've been feeling doing these programs -- the walking and the weight loss (today's the first C25k day) -- and I also realized I had a good reason for being messed up the last 3 days (an unexpected death in my immediate family) so I gave myself permission to forget the bad days and just jump right back in today.

From your last paragraph, you sound like so many of us who've gotten to the point of taking charge of our lives -- that means success!

Walking toward fitness in 2010

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    53. Sep 9, 2009 5:44 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Carrie,

Let me echo what  brpssm  said. My wife and I never feel better than we do on Atkins. ( Or Low Carb in general)  So many people never read past the "Induction phase"  or worse they read about the "Fast Fast "  which is only used for people with EXTREME metabolic resistance.  But read the whole plan, the whole book, and decide . Lots of whole foods, lean meat  high fiber , no refined foods... 

A 5 oz grilled chicken breast, Spinach salad  ( with a small amount of dressing)  Apsparagus  ... that is an Atkins dinner.  Show me a doctor who says that is bad for you .

Our only problem with Atkins , as with any diet, is it is easy to get lazy . It is expensive and time consuming to cook and eat real meals.  Doritos, McDonalds and a bottle of soda is cheaper and WAAAAYYYYYY easier.  It's hard to eat well and keep interested.   But when it's right , low carb feels sooooo good.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• momma515 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    54. Sep 9, 2009 5:46 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Hey everybody! This is a great thread- thank you for sharing so much of your personal experiences! This is great!! I started C25K last year but never really followed through with it. I have a treadmill in my garage that frowns at me every time I get in my car, so I've decided to make it smile again by really buckling down and making this happen. I went on prescription diet pills last year and went from 195 to 165 in 4 months but when I stopped taking them, I yo-yo'd back and beyond my starting weight and now weigh in at 214. HOLY ****!! Diet pills are NOT the way to go. I've started to buy more organics, unprocessed foods but I know that nothing will take the place of exercise. I've read many posts where runners talk about how free they feel when they're running- I did get to that point last year so I know exactly what they mean. I honestly believe in getting the "runner's high" and feeling that euphoria- I did experience it myself! Anyway, I'm about to go downstairs and see about turning the treadmill's frown upside down...lol

Thank you to everybody that posts on here- you're an inspiration!!

Melinda

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    56. Sep 9, 2009 6:04 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

LOL Carrie....

no, no readers digest version that I know of,  but really it's not a long read . A lot of the book is menus and stuff for lifetime maintenance etc.  pick up a copy, read the parts about your body, how food and fat and insulin all reacts. and the  parts covering induction and ongoing weight loss.  It's worth it.

If you really want cliff notes 

eat meat eat eggs , green veggies (Except peas) . Give up caffeeine, sugar and ALL artificial sweeteners.  No more starch, no potatoe, no corn ... empty calories   ... eat 4-5 small meals a  day, even if you're not hungry, which after a week you won't be anymore . Drink lots of water. LOTS.  90 oz a day. Eat until you are full, but never till you are stuffed.  Don't count calories or fat .  

Start there .  But really that is WAY simplistic and unfair.  the book is a good read . I promise 

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    57. Sep 9, 2009 6:06 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Carrie....

In my opinion, Atkins is not a healthy diet that you can maintain for life.  I know a guy who did it and almost died from kidney failure.  Looks great, but is sick as a dog.  I did it about 10 years ago for 2 months and was nauseated from eggs and meat and cheese and all that fat.  Don't even ask me what my bloodwork was like.  Atkins may work in the short term, but it's not something your cardiovascular system should have to deal with for decades.

In SB, you can eat all the veggies you want.  You can work in fruit and grains after the first 2 weeks...and the first 2 weeks go fast.  For breakfast this morning I had a big green salad with celery, avocado and viniagrette, and when I got to work I had a ham sandwich on whole grain bread.  Breakfast does NOT mean eggs and bacon every day.  One morning I had steamed broccoli and tilapia fillet.  Many mornings I sautee asparagus with garlic and salt in olive oil.  Sometimes it's chicken breast with green beans. There are SO many things you can eat.  Steel cut oatmeal, too.  Whole grain cereals with skim milk.   Your body DOES need carbs.  It's just HEALTHY, natural carbs.  

Really, when we're hungry in the morning, does our stomach "prefer" one type of food to another?

You can't reasonably expect to take off in a matter of weeks what it has taken years to put on.  And the healthier you feel, the more energetic and clean you feel because you're not stuffing yourself with Big Macs and French Fries, sugary pop and cookies.  I don't want any of that in my system now.  I'm a lot more limber than I was, too, so exercising is easier because what I'm eating is better and my body is way more in synch.

There's no shortcut...just do it.  That Nike saying used to annoy me, but now it's my mantra.

Shopping for food is easier, too, because your NO list is large enough to avoid entire areas of the grocery store.    You can do it!  Millions already have.

Amy

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    58. Sep 9, 2009 6:39 PM (in response to Hoofbeats)

Hoofbeats- Shelby is exactly right... we arent so much as scared to start as we are to fail. No one likes to fail. Its embarrassing...and it hurts, too. Thats why I'm going about this weight loss thing for the one millionth time a whole different way...

I started walking - did good. Started barely running - did good. Started running longer - did better. Kept my goals very small and within reach. If we dont keep them within reach, of course we are gonna fail. I'm also on nutrisystem but I'm on the flex plan because if I try to do this diet 7 days a week, I'm gonna crack!! So I get weekends off.... not so I can gorge myself on weekends, but rather so that I can stay on track. Ya gotta have a little wiggle room. Being too strict too soon for too long is never good...or fun for that matter.

And remember to forgive yourself...

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    59. Sep 9, 2009 6:42 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Atkins does give you results.... I had a friend lose 80lbs. But its not a forever thing.... but to be fair most diets aren't. I think the reason a low carb lifestyle works for some of our friends on this thread is because they use portional control and moderation.... the key to ANY diet.

I'm glad your husband has a sense of humor....

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...