Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2405 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2009 3:29 PM by Tamara2009 RSS
tepbnl Rookie 3 posts since
Aug 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2009 5:30 AM

Anyone just starting couch to 5K having knee problems...ouch

Hi everyone! It seems like everyone around me is running...I found the couch to 5K program and thought instantly this was my answer to start. I have always been very active, but never ran. I am 38 and weight 135 so I thought, no problem I can do this....wrong...I couldn't complete the first day!! Now I am walking like I am on stilts..HA! I waited a few days and tried day 1 again...still did not finish....Please people what is the problem? My running friend told me that alot of new runners feel like something is bruised inside the knee, I can varify this feeling. Is this normal??? How long does it geneally take to get past this? I am a person who likes to succeed, but I also like to walk around looking kind of normal, not rocking side to side...Geez. I WANT TO DO THIS!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007

Did you get the right shoes for you running gait ? are you running at a comfortable pace ? or too fast ??

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• lolorun Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009

I just started the C25K program on the 8/17 and I'm also having some knee soreness issues.  I'd say baby your knees, and spend a longer time warming up than normal.  Here's what I've been doing to baby my knees:

-Spend a much longer time warming up

-Run on a softer surface (not concrete!) look for dirt, gravel, or a track meant for running

-Stretch before and after your workout, but especially after. Look for stretches for knee pain.

-use the RICE technique (rest, ice, compression, elevation) -- after your workout, wrap your knees with ace bandages and ice and elevate for at least 20 minutes

-try anti-inflamitory drugs like motrin

-get fitted for the proper kind of shoes, not just any shoe. You need to know if you over or under-pronate. Go to a running specialty store to find out more.

-keep an eye on your form.  Do you hit the ground heel-first? All the shock may go into your knees. Check out Chi Running form techniques for tips

If you do all these things, your knees should feel much better!  Good luck.

• AlmostBarefootCaleb Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009

hey, try taking off your shoes and running barefoot on a grassy field for a while. while running DO NOT land on your heel! go easy though because youll be using your calf muscles differently than they are used too (the they were meant to be used really) and you could strain them. also make sure your paying attention to your running form. here is a link with good video demonstration, just ignore the commercial at the end about the shoes.

http://www.operationironman.com/2009/02/proper-running-form.html

anymore questions you can feel free to email me makoreef98@yahoo.com

• kel40 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 6, 2009

there are 3 different types of feet....go to a good running show store, and have your feet assessed, then invest in the proper running show for your type of foot. I started couch to 5K about 6 weeks ago, and the right shoe was key to my success (after the first few tries with the wrong shoes, the right shoes feel like slippers!!!0....good luck

• CarrieNixon Pro 119 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009

My husband has had knee surgery a few years ago, and has to run on something other than pavement... trails.. and indoor track....  Good luck, I can imagine how discouraging it is when you finally get up the nerve, and have a set back....  You'll get there!

Visit my blog @ www.adayinthelifeofcarrien.blogspot.com

WEEK  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Began September 7, 2009

• Tamara2009 Amateur 3 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007

Lolorun provides some great tips to get past this knee pain hurdle. I started running in January (having not run ever) and found that same knee pain after a few weeks. I iced it regularly, and went to a running speciality store where they assessed my stride and recommended shoes which I bought (Saucony Hurricanes - they rock). I noticed a significant improvement within a couple of runs. Don't give up! Keep alternating running and walking, and avoid concrete if possible. Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points