Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9623 Views 58 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2011 11:28 AM by Kpoulelis RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Sep 9, 2009 10:38 AM (in response to NOLAviajera)
    Re: New c25k participant. I am scared.

Hey Nola, 

don't give up on "Skinny" so quick... you just haven't found what yoru body responds to. But if your pants size drops one and your energy goes up one notch and you feel good and start having fun...  then you'll be in a good place .

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• heb704 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    46. Sep 10, 2009 2:10 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

I am thrilled for you!  I just started training for my first half marathon about six weeks ago. I  have since added yoga (which I did normally) and some strength training. 

First, recognize how PROUD you should be of yourself.  90% of the battle is getting past your front door.  Or, if you are like me, getting off the couch and putting my running shoes on! 

Also...your first time at a running-specific store is going to be amazing.  The great thing about runners is that - hey - while it's a solitary sport, there are so many groups and events you can join with other people!!  Runners have this crazy tendency to stick together...there's no such thing as a weakest link - only a strong team looking for a strong finish!

I'm proud of you!  Find a great store and suck in all of the information you can! 

• lindseyrae27 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2009
    47. Sep 10, 2009 2:20 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Wow!  how inspiring!  I am trying to get week 3 started but I had a slight problem with my knees ( I have never had this before, I think the problem has developed since I had a baby 4 and a half months ago) anyway, I gave my knees a couple of extra days of rest.  And it is about right that it is storming around my house today...but I am so motivated to run today, I might do one of two things.....run in the rain or go see if I can pay for just one day at the gym near my house to get my run in!  IM PUMPED NOW!

Keep it up becky!  Do this for yourself and the kiddies!

• DRJJ2004 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    48. Sep 10, 2009 3:08 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky -

Don't give up...no matter what!!!  I am overweight, like you and wondered if I could run at this weight.  Luckily, I had a friend of mine who I had gotten all the info from, who was overweight as well.  I asked him...can you run if you're fat?  Not meaning him, but myself....he just laughed!  We can run, even if we're overweight.  And if you have to repeat a week...you just repeat it...as many times as you need to, to feel comfortable about moving up to the next one.  I think it's probably taking me twice as long (18 weeks) to do it... and you know what?  It's OK!!!  You're up and you're moving and that's what counts.  You will feel better and you will be able to move more..I promise that this will happen.  I noticed the other day..it's not as hard as it used to be to take the stairs, to walk at a brisk pace for 45-60 min.  It's not as bad as it used to be...to pull weeds.  It will get easier!!!  Hang in there!!!!  Just keep moving.  :O)

Dawn

• val911 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 9, 2007
    49. Sep 10, 2009 4:26 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky,

I've never responded on any post but just want to say keep it up. It takes work but it is worth it. Also we are our own worst critic when it comes to running. It's hard to feel slow or overweight. Other people don't see it but you do. Everyone moves at their own pace and the hardest part is just relaxing and accepting what you are now and working on emproving slowly. You have to give yourself credit

Val

• cjweb Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    51. Sep 11, 2009 7:17 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

I'm going to start this program tomorrow morning.  I've been tossing the idea around for about a year now.  I need a new pair of running shoes as well.  I used to be in the military and ran 5 miles a day.  I miss it terribly.  The problem with finding adequate running shoes in my town is that there aren't any educated people working at any of the stores.  They are all people/kids that are there just to collect a pay check.  I've asked questions and just get a blank stare and shrugged shoulders.  How can I determine this for myself?

• Katedog Expert 57 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    52. Sep 11, 2009 8:30 AM (in response to cjweb)

CJWeb -  Welcome! Fantastic that you're starting this program and have joined us online.  I've found the Newbie threads to be informative, supportive and fun, especially when you're starting out. 

So sorry about the sports store drones.  What town do you live in? Chances are if you're remote, you'll prob have to make the trek to a larger city to get what you need. And in the end, it would be well worth it.

WELCOME!

Kate NYC 

WEEK 8 

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    53. Sep 11, 2009 8:58 AM (in response to Katedog)

CJweb.... you were born with the best running shoes ever made.  Just go run.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    54. Sep 11, 2009 10:16 AM (in response to cjweb)

Go to runnersworld.com.  I'm pretty sure they have a shoe fitting guide there that will tell you the type of shoe that is best for your particular feet type. Then look again there to see the types of shoes they recommend for your foot type.  It really is best to try to find a good running store in your area but I think this is a good alternative if you can't.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• wannarunsomeday Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 18, 2009
    55. Sep 11, 2009 11:16 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky -

I can completely relate to how you felt.  My first day I couldn't do the entire thing either.  I stopped and I literally did cry.  I finished it out by walking and I cried to my friend that I couldn't do it.  I was so disappointed in myself.  I felt like I could have done so much better.  My friend and I have been walking for several months with a few bursts of jogging along the way.  But, I tried again the next night and I was able to do it.  And, now I am on week 4 day 3.  It's been hard and I've had a few rough days.  I've re-done some days when I needed to.  But, the important thing is that I have kept trying!!   I've lost 66 pounds so far before starting this program and still have almost another 100 pounds to go.  I try not to be so hard on myself.   I just try to do the best I can. 

What I'm trying to say is don't be too hard on yourself.  Do what you can.  I also took the advice from another friend at work (who is also doing C25K) and instead of walking 90 seconds in between walk for 2 minutes.  That extra 30 seconds really seemed to help.  I still jogged the same amount of time.  And, you know what.... she couldn't do it at first either and she is about half my age (she's 22 and I'm 42) and only a little bit over weight.  So, it made me feel so much better about how I did at first. 

My 2 friends and I are training to be able to do the Livestrong Challenge 5K coming up on October 24th in Austin.  My goal originally was to be able to do the 5K in 45 minutes.  But, since I planned the C25K to finish right before the 5K I would like to run it.  But, if I can't run the entire thing then I will just do the best I can.  And, if not this one, then maybe the next one I will be able to run it.  

Hang in there and you will get there.  It might not be in the exact amount of time that the program says - but, who cares.  Just do your best and feel proud of yourself for doing it at all!!

~ Lori

8/8/09- walked my first 5K - Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer 5K in Downtown Houston (52:34)
    8/14/09 - second 5K - Moonlight Madness at the College of the Mainland, Texas City, TX (48:55)
    9/5/09 - Beneezy Purple Monkey Fun Run in Alvin, TX

Upcoming 5K's scheduled:

9/20/09 - Run for the Kids - Clear Lake, TX
    10/24/09 - LIVESTRONG Challenge - Austin, TX (goal time 45 minutes or less)

• gt1cm2 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    56. Sep 12, 2009 8:28 PM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky, don't give up, it does get easier.  The key is starting off really really slow.  You might think that someone could pass you at a walk but that doesn't matter, so long as you are jogging at a speed that you consider running and one that isn't killing your lungs.  Another thing is while you are getting use to it do some walking on the days that you don't do the program, it will also help you along.

I'm 30yrs old and I'm also 100+ pound overweight, 57kgs (now) to be exact.  I had been walking for a while and lost a wee bit of weight doing that then I one night I wasn't able to do my usual walk as my pants kept falling down.  I have horses so I stole a bit of baling twine to use as a belt and decided to go for a walk while the horses were eating.  Next thing I know I'm jogging/walking.  This first one I was probably only jogging for about 30 sec all up and walking two minutes.  It was bloody torture! but I felt really good at the end thinking I had done it.  Also the distance at the time seemed so long but its now far to short!   I started doing the c25k program after that and I do have to repet the weeks to be able to progress.

Yesterday I decided to not do the actual program but just run as far as I could then walk just to see how far my running has come, I was able to do two lots of 3min 30 sec and a couple of 2min 30sec before calling it a day, didn't want to over do it.  This is a huge mile stone for me.  I have never been a runner, always a walker, last time I tried to take up running (about 5 years ago) I got serious shin splints, looking back now I was just doing too much and going too fast.  I did start off this time getting splints but after doing some reading I discovered that I need to bring the speed back a bit, which worked for me.  I needed to allow my body to strengthen and get used to it.  If I think its about to get sore I just slow down a bit.  I also imported some KT Tape (I live in New Zealand) for shin splints and it truely does work, for me at least.

I've lost 10kgs now (think that is 22 pounds) and I feel much better for it, still have a loooong way to go but I'm enjoying running now, not something I ever thought I'd say!  If I can do it, believe me, you can aswell.

• salemsister Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 28, 2011
    57. Sep 28, 2011 10:10 AM (in response to beckyb0217)
    New c25k participant. I am scared.

I am quite late in finding this group and this thread - but am thankful that I have. Think that I fit in with many who have responded here - overweight 237 at 5'6" and trying to find a way to lose weight and incorporate a manageable fitness routine into my life...a repeat of what has been most of my life, to be honest. Started C25K on 9/11/11 and am currently at W3D3 and pretty much terrified of each week's progression. I have felt this way from the start and have been able to make each challenge...but still worry about how each week gets harder. I can't imagine running 35 minutes straight, but three weeks ago I didn't think I could go 3 minutes straight.

Hoping to find some great advice, learn how to be a runner, and actually feel like a runner. This looks like a great place to start!

Best-

Jen

C25K started 9/11/11

• Kpoulelis Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    58. Sep 28, 2011 11:28 AM (in response to salemsister)
    New c25k participant. I am scared.

Salemsister--I know exactly how you feel!  But, I just completed the entire C2k5 and now able to run 3.1 miles whereas I couldn't even barely do the 1 minute of running on week 1.  Each week I was always nervous about the upcoming week wondering how I would ever be able to do it, but I just did it.  The day that I ran 20 minutes straight blew my mind!  Last night I finally accomplished running the whole 3.1 miles and did it in 36 minutes--that was the farthest and longest I have ever ran (this would be week 10 for me so maybe I am technically one week late on running that far).  However, just keep doing what you are doing.  If you feel like it is too much, repeat any weeks.  But I'm thinking if you follow the program, you will be just fine.  My only other advice would be not too concentrate on the upcoming weeks, just what you are suppose to be doing right now so that way you don't feel overwhelmed.  I just kept telling myself, I haven't come this far and done this much work to stop running and start walking now!  Then I would envision myself being skinny and being able to wear all those cute little clothes by next summer!  hehe!

I've lost 11.5 lbs and 4inches in my waist and 5 in my hips!  And to be honest, I haven't really changed my eating habits too much (maybe just smaller portions)--I just make SURE I eat something for breakfast, a snack about 10 am (like a banana), light lunch and then a decent dinner--I'm sure the several times a day of eating has kicked up my metabolism and has helped quite a bit.  I think a lot of people think not eating will help but your body actually goes into 'starvation' mode and stores whatever you eat as fat to reserve it because it doesn't know when you will eat next.  So keep that in mind as well!  Hope this helps a little bit!

C25k start: July 26, 2011

C25K finish: September 23, 2011

1st 5k: October 15, 201100--The Fast and Furriest 5k: 37:25

2nd 5k: November 26, 2011

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points