Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

This thread is locked
21441 Views 189 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2009 4:57 AM by CarrieNixon Go to original post 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 Previous Next
  • whattamisaid Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 15, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Sep 11, 2009 1:36 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)
    Re: 200lb + Group

I completed C25K last night, ya'll! So there you goanyone can do it. I'm 39 and 100 pounds overweight, but I did it. I'm slower than heck, though. Not quite running 3.2 miles, yetmore like 2. I have signed up for a 5K in October and I'm hoping to be able to run the entire thing. Actually, there is one I'd like to tackle tomorrow, but I'm coming down with a nasty cold...Ugh!

• ovenfried Pro 149 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    151. Sep 11, 2009 1:46 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Carrie....

I think no matter where you start....food vs exercise....it's a very very good thing.  If you start with exercise, I guarantee that you will start choosing healthier foods when presented a choice.  Working out itself is such an energy boost (not to forget antidepressent).   Your body will tell you.

Amy

Amy

Started C25K:  September 10, 2009
    Finished C25K:  November 22, 2009

Dec. 5, 2009:  Jingle Bell Run, Cincinnati, OH  35:43
    April 10, 2010:  Aruna 5k, Cincinnati, OH 39.06  (after not running for several months)
    May 22, 2010:  GO/OTR 5K,  Cincinnati, OH  approx 34:30.  (route was changed at last minute, and about .2 mile was shaved off.  boo!)

• GoRunIrish Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    152. Sep 11, 2009 3:00 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Done with the first week of nutrisysytem and about to finish W1D3! Not so bad....;)

Started C25K 09/07/09

Dinosaur Dash 5K 11/01/09 40:12

Turkey Trot 5K 11/26/09 44:02

Buffalo Run 02/27/10

• MrCleanse Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    153. Sep 11, 2009 3:35 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Well I am excited to be in the 200 lb + group. I started my personal transformation story about 2 years ago. When I began at 505 lbs and I have been able to work my way down into the 280's now. My goal is not complete yet because I want to weigh between 190 and 205 lbs as a final goal with a total weight loss of over 300 lbs.

I can tell you from my perspective your quote has a real significance and meaning in my personal life.

You have to win the battle of the mind before you can win the battle of the bulge!

It is about progress not perfection!

Armando R. Garza,

Armando@MrCleanse.com

Attachments:
  • coloradotrigirl Expert 46 posts since
    May 1, 2009
    155. Sep 11, 2009 8:27 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Great stories i see this afternoon. some newbies and some C25K starters. I love it. I was inspired today as well and started the 8K training today. warm up 5 min, run 7 walk 1 (repeat run/walk 4 times) 5 min cool down. It's funny how in the first 8 min of running i always talk down to myself like what am i doing? and by the end i'm like wow i'm running soooo much better than day one........i'm a runner. taking tomorrow off so that i can rest up for the 10 K on sunday.

Carrie, i might not be exact on some of my calorie counts as some days i forgot the body bugg but other days were spot on as the body bugg reads my actual pulse rate (can't fake that) so my approximations were based on months and months of doing this with the body bugg on. HOWEVER you are correct in saying that 100 here and there cannot possibly be the explanation and that it is what i'm missing to record...........snacks, bites, here and there that CAN and do add up. You are right there. Thank you for keeping me honest. I am trying to be better about recording everything, otherwise i end up frustrated and the scale doesn't move. So there you go. we shall see. 

5K June 2009 42:15 (first race in 20yrs)

5K July 2009 40:15

10K Sept 2009 1:25:25

Sprint Triathalon Sept 2009 2:01:27

5K Race for the Cure Oct 2009 40:39

Nov 7,2009 5K 41:07

Nov 26th Turkey Trot. 38:15 (finally broke the 40 min barrier )

DEC 2009, 10 Mile 1:25:25

Feb 2010, 1/2 marathon 2:59:13..(PR'd all other distances)

up and coming:

May 2010 BolderBoulder 10K

May 2010 Duathlon 5K/10mbike/5K

June 2010 Sprint Tri

June 2010 Grandma's Half Mary

AUG/SEPT another Sprint TRI

Oct 2010 FULL MARATHON, Twin Cities

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    157. Sep 12, 2009 5:54 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

Just finished W2D3. I feel great! Energized and ready for the day. Woohoo!

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• beckyb0217 Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    158. Sep 12, 2009 6:56 AM (in response to CarrieNixon)

I need help. I just weighed myself, which I NEVER do, and I have gained 9 more pounds. When will this ever end? I am inching closer to 300 pounds and it scares me half to death! Talk about discouragement!

• MrCleanse Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    159. Sep 12, 2009 9:19 AM (in response to coloradotrigirl)

Sheilah, I can see you are doing all the right things in your exercise and keeping a food journal to track is critical. I am not an expert but I can give you this small suggestion. Make sure you are hydrating well, half your body weight in ounces of H2O daily to help flush your system. When you have a long workout like an 8K you should follow it up with some high grade protein to keep you in fat burning mode and help build lean muscle. Just a few tidbits I have picked up in my journey. Stay focused on your long-term goals and it will happen for you sooner than you think!

• babeinthewoods Expert 54 posts since
    Sep 8, 2009
    160. Sep 12, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to beckyb0217)

Becky, I'm sorry you're so frustrated.  A lot of times it's the mindset. Maybe instead of thinking, "I want to lose this weight," try some positive thinking -  "I am living a healthy life!"   And then throughout the day, ask yourself "Is what I'm doing contributing to a healthy life?     I AM    -  it's a powerful message. I Want to... or I Need  to... are more wistful thinking without any true power behind them. I suggest you create a positive mantra for yourself and live it.

Always, always, always keep track of your caloric intake. It keeps you honest with yourself. You have been given one body for your duration here on earth. Don't fuel it with cr@p. Choose fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, lean meats, and whole grains. The rest can be eliminated.

Keep your body moving!  If you do W1D1 for 2 months, who cares? You are doing something good and wonderful for your body and your mental health.  Exercise doesn't have to be tedious. Go for a bike ride or a swim. Put on your favorite music, your sports bra and dance your butt off in your living room! Play frisbee with a friend. Lots of fun stuff to keep you moving.

Lastly, don't be too hard on yourself. We all stumble, we all have fallen - I don't know anyone who hasn't. Just take a deep cleansing breath and get back on track.

Now create your mantra and live it!

10/03/09  - GVSU family 5K - 41:25

11/26/09 - Turkey Trot 5K - 40:07

12/05/09 - YMCA Jingle Bell 5K - 40:05

12/13/09 - Jingle Bell Run 5K -

TRAINING PROGRAMS

One Hour Runner started 11/13/09

C25K started 8/30/09 finished 11/20/09

• jenwantstorun Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    161. Sep 12, 2009 12:28 PM (in response to babeinthewoods)

Just wanted to post that I completed W1D3 yesterday.  Thought I was gonna die.  I had to decrease my speed on the treadmill.  I behind was hurting so bad, the good kind of muscle hurt you know.  I welcomed it, but I did stretch out longer.  I'd love to have a tighter and lifted behind. 

While I was walking/running I was reading this psych. article about the power of "going through the motions" in your head.  So I was pictureing myself running outside.  Using good form.  Feeling like a million bucks.  Made me smile at myself.

About good form, I did check on YouTube, but didn't seem to find anything useful.  If anyone knows where I could go to learn proper running form, would you please post a link?

I don't know what you all think, but I do think the treadmill is easier than outside.  Feeling just a little wimpy for not giving outside a go.  Oh well, I will soon enough.

Also wanted to note, I love the poscasts!  I only downloaded Robert's, as I'm not techy enough to put my own music together.  No worries though, I like the techno.

When I just read Wideguy's post on 200+ women being goddesses, well, made me feel nice...   After so many of my younger years thinking bad about myself, I've changed and am changing that mind set.  I love myself and I think I love you all too, because you help me not to feel alone.  And the "been there's"...are you kidding...you guys are very much a part of my inspiration.  Thank you all so much for posting!

I haven't signed up for a 5K yet.  Just a little scared right now.  One of the things I love about C25K, is that you can work it at your own pace.  I think if I take it slow and steady, maybe I'll keep with it....

• Kellenzmom Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    162. Sep 12, 2009 12:50 PM (in response to jenwantstorun)

I'm a very unhappy member of this club or at least I was the last time I checked.  I finished the C25K about a month ago and am up to 4 miles or so for my long day and 3 miles routinely.  I am a WW member but I'm having a hard time journaling my foods.  I'm an online member so it is really easy but sometimes I feel like I can only master one thing at a time and right now it is getting the running piece in place.  I know once I've lost my runs will be easier and faster but...... one day at a time. 

My body IS changing, oddly, from the ankles upwards!  Right now the obvious changes are about halfway up my behind.... buns look good.... hips look strange.

I really chimed in to thank everyone who posted their stories and say WAY TO GO ARMANDO!!!  Love the t-shirt in your after pic.  YOU should be so proud of yourself.  I don't even know you personally, and I am proud of you!

Will keep lurking but love this thread.

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    163. Sep 12, 2009 6:09 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

One the food v exercise debate - if your goal is weight loss your efforts are better spent on the food

To put this into hard numbers - most people on the c25k plan run/walk 1.5 - 2 miles per session - peaking about 2.5 miles on the last day. A 2.5 mile run/walk for a 200lb person burns about 300 calories - that 900 per week if you do 3 workouts a week.

It takes 3500 calories to burn off 1 lb of fat so at graduation the program is burning just 1/4 lb per week

A 1200 - 1300 cal a dat diet will create a 700 cal + deficit per DAY

Exercise to get fit - eat to lose weight

The c25k plans is designed to get you running - not fit - it really isn`t enough for fitness

For fitness you should be doing cardio for 40 - 60 mins 5 - 6 times a weeks - this can be anything from you c25k workouts, to extra walking, dancing, boot camps, boxing, eliptical , biking , rowing. Build up slowly - start with 30 mins and add time - yes this will mean doing extra cardio after your running workouts

2 - 3 days a week of weight training will also help you build muscle and boost your metaoblism

Carrie - headaches after running is a sign of dehydration - make sure you try and drink 8 x 8oz of water each day

jen there are many opinions on proper running form - we all have natural form - watch a race and see how people run - some are quite funky ! - the one thing I was told by a coach that has been invaluable whatever you do try and keep your upper body relaxed and land quietly - I did contend at the time it was had to make 200 lbs land lightly - but it is possible - my trainer at the timed helped me by doing a lot of plyometric drills - jumps etc and focussing on landing lightly as opposed to thumping down like a sack of coal ! The other hand advice I got from a coach  - when running up hill shorten your stride lean forward and fall up hill - when running down do the opposite ! I actually find running outside easier - I run hills well - I think bigger ( or ex bigger ) people have that potential - lets face we dragging 200 + lbs around - we have strong legs !

Good Luck everyone - you are all awesome - look forward every day - don`t fret if you fall of the plan - just get right back on rack you wont`t have done any real damage

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    164. Sep 12, 2009 6:15 PM (in response to CarrieNixon)

I finished Week 9 Day 2! Only one more day and then I need to start something else. I want to keep running 30 minutes and either walking/running more until I work up to 3.1 miles. I need to get faster for my 5K in 5 weeks. I am only running about 2.4 miles in the 40 minutes (5 min warmup, 30 running, and another 5 cooldown). I have started eating more "good" foods. Protein, vegs, and whole grains. Yogurt, vegan burgers, chicken, brown rice, vegs, soy milk, etc.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...