Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6775 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 2:18 AM by Joppe Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • HDBaglady Pro 66 posts since
    Jun 5, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 30, 2009 1:35 PM (in response to IBmotivated)
    Re: Moving On: New C25K Grads

Goth that looks like a great program. I think I will do that, I have been wanting to run more days this looks perfect. Glad to see so many new peeps and Goth & disco back too!

My knee healed well, I rean 3.25 yesterday and no pain this time. So I am good to go. I have my first race in two weeks and counting down!

• gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    31. Sep 6, 2009 11:01 AM (in response to HDBaglady)

Yeah, HDbag, I'm looking forward to starting that this week.  My only concern is that I haven't yet figured out how far I'm running in 30 minutes!  I did everything for time and all my running in the park, so it's really hard to measure my distance.  I guess I could use a pedometer to measure, but I haven't bothered.  So until I get one I'm going to presume I'm running 3 miles in 31-33 minutes.  Hopefully I'l be surprised and it'll be better!  I'm glad to be back on a schedule, I was teetering on the verge of slackerdom just running 30 minutes 3x a week.  I need a change, and training for a race is not for me.  Glad your knee is better!

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    32. Sep 7, 2009 6:59 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Had to go a whole week without running due to my hubby being out of town and no one to keep the kids when I run.  I really need to get a jogging stroller.  So this morning, my 6 year old decided he wanted to run with me.   I felt like I was on W1D1 again.  He would run about a minute as fast as he could then needed a walk break!  So I didn't get much of a run, I did leave him behind a few times so I could continue to run but it really doensn't count as a run for me.  Will try again tomorrow.

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• lmerullo Amateur 25 posts since
    Aug 16, 2009
    33. Sep 8, 2009 12:42 PM (in response to IBmotivated)

Jen - definately get the jogging stroller! Check on Craigslist, or ask around... lots of people get them and don't use them, as they are not a great "everyday" stroller. Does the older one ride a bike? Or use a scooter? Maybe you can make this a family outing, with the whole family heading out to get some exercise.

• jenyren Pro 105 posts since
    Jun 4, 2009
    34. Sep 10, 2009 7:12 AM (in response to lmerullo)

I didn't think about Craigslist, thanks for the suggestion.  I will do that today.  I got up at 6 am today and ran for about 33 mins.  It was tough getting out of bed but I know it's the only chance I'll get to run.  I've tried letting my oldest ride his bike with me or run with me and I don't really get a workout like that.  He'll need to get more proficient on his bike first then it would be ok.  I was worried my run this morning would be miserable b/c it's been over a week since I've gotten in a true run but it was great!

La Crosse WI Turkey Trot 5K 11/21/09 - 29:28

La Crosse Rotary Lights 5K 12/13/09 - 28:03

Race With Grace 5K, 9/18/10 - 26:03

Reindeer Run 5K, Lakewood OH 12/4/10 - 25:12

Happy Trails 5K, Medina OH 05/29/10 - 24:54

Park 2 Park Half Marathon, Sheffield, OH - 2:10

• Joppe Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    35. Sep 10, 2009 11:10 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Hello there

My first post here and really excited about completing the program. 12 weeks ago I hated running and couldn't even dream about running 5k without walking.

Then one day I decided to do something about it. I got the Nike+ iPod gear, downloaded Robert Ullrey c25k podcast, found my old sneakers in the closet and started to run. It was living **** the first week, but I kept to the program. Halfway through the program my shoes died on me and had to spend a small fortune on some good shoes that fitted me and my running style (and the fact that i am 6'5'' and 220lb).

At week 8 I got sick (good old swine flu) and couldn't run for two weeks. My motivation was gone, but as soon as I was fine I forced myself back to the program and within a week I was motivated to continue to run for my goal of 5k without walking.

Now I have been running 5-6k three times a week for the last two weeks and love it.

I'm starting to think about what to do next. Should I improve my 5k times or set 10k as my new goal? I havnøt decided yet. Right npw I', just excited and can't really believe that i can run 5k without any problems and that I actually enjoy it   

• Beth Roy Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 6, 2009
    36. Sep 13, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to Joppe)

Joppe,

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!  I, too, use the Nike+ system, but now my runs live or die by it.  I've had it freeze up on me several times and I feel like that run didn't even count because I couldn't log it.  I finished the C25K in May  and have been running 5k each run.  My speed was increasing through July, then the humidity hit and I slowed down.  I couldn't decide whether or not I should work on speed or distance.  But, now, I think I am going to shoot for a 10k.  Let me know how  you progress.  Maybe we can motivate each other.

Happy Running,

Beth

• spunky26 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    37. Sep 13, 2009 9:04 PM (in response to Joppe)

I was told by a frequent runner that extending my weekend run to be a longer distance and train to get to the 10k distance and keep my weekly runs to a 5k distance would help to increase my 5k time as well!

Unfortunately, since my race I have only been able to run twice. I have had a lot of soreness in my legs and back and have had a hard time fitting it in the few days I am feeling ok. I am trying to get back on my training schedule this week.

• gothgimpbadcooking Amateur 24 posts since
    Jun 2, 2009
    38. Sep 15, 2009 7:02 PM (in response to spunky26)

I'm a teacher and so since school started up I took a whole WEEK off from running.  It's crazy to think that that's the longest I've gone without a run since I began C25K, but I'm glad I didn't let it go on for any longer.  I really wanted to start on that spring training program so I just jumped right in today rather than getting another week of 30 minute runs under my belt.  I figure I'd rather repeat the first week of the schedule and feel like I'm moving along than do another 30 minute week that I don't feel motivated to finish! 

I feel great, it really only takes one run to get in the mindset that I'm back on track.  If my lazy beer drinking self can get back on a running schedule, anyone can....

• Joppe Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    39. Sep 16, 2009 2:18 AM (in response to IBmotivated)

Beth & Spunky

Thanks!

I recieved a program for 5-10k for 'beginners' from a friend who has been running for years. Looks really good. Three days a week, a 'easy day' (25 min), a 'tempo day' with intervals/pyramids/fartleg and a 'long run day', starting at 25 min and adding 5 min every week until reaching the goal of running 60 min without walking.

The program shoul improve my distance and my time on 5k at the same time. I'm really excited to get started.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...