Skip navigation

1656 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2009 7:36 AM by DCtoPgh 1 2 Previous Next
DCtoPgh Community Moderator 3,033 posts since
Aug 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2009 5:14 AM

Tuesday Runs

Up before the sun to run 3 with Ben- his longest run yet. I am SO proud! He is doing so well and I am just thrilled for him An additional 2 for me to total 5 on a gray Pittsburgh day. Have a phone call with Ray in 5 min so he should add some sunshine- he has SO much positive energy and it's contagious! He's one of those people who is truly a joy to be around. Have great days, everyone

I do today what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.

My Blog | i2P

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Sep 15, 2009 5:20 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)
    Re: Tuesday Runs

Sounds like a great start of the day Kat.  Did my weights and abs and now it's off to have blood drawn and then 5 miles.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Sep 15, 2009 5:48 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Ran a nice easy 5 1/2 this morning: Hope everyone has a great day!

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Sep 15, 2009 6:00 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat - Sounds like a GREAT morning. 

I ran a little this morning at the track, walked mostly, 2.5 miles. This right knee is driving me insane. It hurts when I run, but as I found out last weekend, stops hurting after 3-4 miles. Yes, it's an ITB issue and I know it won't heal quickly. I'm at my witts end.... do I keep running or stop all together while I focus on stretching? I'll post another topic and discuss it.

Grace and peace,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• Christine13093 Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008
    4. Sep 15, 2009 6:16 AM (in response to mikehelvey)

5 miles this morning on the treadmill then swam laps for 1/2 hour.  Have a great day!

• FLKaren Legend 1,195 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    5. Sep 15, 2009 7:55 AM (in response to Christine13093)

Track day for me. It's gettting to be fall; the sun wasn't even up when we finished. warm up, 5 x 1000's and a short cool down for a total of 5.75.

Dig deep, people, you can do it!
    Jan 19, 2008
    6. Sep 15, 2009 9:17 AM (in response to FLKaren)

Just finished 6m of which 2.4 on the incline.  Another good run.  Although when they tried to get my veins this morning they prodded and poked and finally got a vein on top of my hand.  Fun, fun.

Jan 19, 2008
    8. Sep 15, 2009 9:58 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Kat, this is not giving blood, they're taking blood to check my clotting factor since they've put me on coumadin for my Atrial Fibrillation.  My clotting factor doesn't want to go where they would like it and they keep increasing my dose, so I get tested every week.  As soon as it stays where they want it for 2 weeks, I can get off that rat poison.  So keep your fingers crossed.

• RunDaddyRunx4 Legend 1,037 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    9. Sep 15, 2009 10:45 AM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Ran 5 at lunch today, pace 7.47. When I got back my desk was covered with Tinkerbell balloons, confetti and streamers. I'm just glad I have little girls, they will love this stuff.

• Irish Runner77 Legend 780 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    10. Sep 15, 2009 11:04 AM (in response to dutch omi)

Omi - my fingers are crossed for you!

I put in a good 5 mile easy effort at lunch today. I say easy but I still ran sub-10s the entire way, and managed to keep my heart rate under 150 for about 70% of the time, I think peaked at 162 during the last mile, after a climb.

It's amazing how much easier running becomes when you aren't carrying an extra 40 lbs of extra junk on your body.

My quads are still burned out from Sunday's long run. I'm supposed to do speedwork or hills tomorrow, but I'm thinking I may back off and just do another easy run.

MCM Finisher 2007, 2008, 2009
    CMM Finisher 2008
    Goofy Challenge Finisher 2009, 2010
    Pittsburgh Marathon Finisher 2009
    RnR Seattle Finisher 2009

Richmond Finisher 2009

RnR Las Vegas Finisher 2009

Jan 19, 2008
    11. Sep 15, 2009 2:55 PM (in response to Irish Runner77)

Got good news this afternoon, the blood is where they want it.  Now if I'm lucky I'll be off this stuff in 2 weeks.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    12. Sep 15, 2009 6:26 PM (in response to dutch omi)

5 miles, more or less. 50 minutes, more or less.  Good run but I got home late and ended up in the dark.

Len

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Sep 15, 2009 8:12 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Good run tonight in Frederick, despite running through a really annoying cold and having my back start to spasm a little.  My energy/strength were down, but I accepted that my pace was slower as a result and lived with it.  Had a good, solid 6  mile run.  The first 3 were around 8:35 / mile, the last 3 more like 9:30, but I worked up a good sweat and actually enjoyed it.   Now my cold is not bothering me too much at all!  Hmmm, and neither is my back.  I love running!

Oh, my knee was fine.  Quads were a bit sore from the hilly 15 on Sunday, but knee good.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    14. Sep 15, 2009 8:34 PM (in response to DCtoPgh)

Hey Kat, mentioning Ben reminds me of something I wanted to share with you folks.  I was back in Chicago last week to attend a funeral, and I saw all of my family.  None have ever been runners.  I have 2 older brothers that are both overweight, have had high cholesterol, one has become diabetic and has had angioplasty.  Their wives aren't much better off.  And don't get me started about my mom.  I have 6 nieces and nephews out there who are in their teens and twenties.  Most are a little heavy, my nephews in particular.  Both of them are a bit geeky like me.  But they've really grown up on video and computer games rather than sports.  The oldest, Matt, is now living on his own in Austin, TX.

You may recall that last April I ran the Illinois Marathon.  Matt happened to be in town for Easter, and he and his brother, sisters and parents came down to Champaign to watch Uncle Ron in the marathon.  Part of the reason why I really wanted them to come and watch was simply to show those kids not what I can do, but what anyone can do.  To run is simply a choice that anyone can make.  Then you do it.

So they saw the race, thought it was pretty cool, ya da ya da ya da.  I went back to Maryland.  Matt returned to Austin.

And so I go back last weekend and I see Matt.  My jaw dropped.  Matt must have lost 25-30 pounds!  Of course, I compliment him on it and ask how he did it.  He says, "Well, I saw you do that marathon and I thought, heck, if Uncle Ron can run 26 miles I ought to at least be able to run 2.  So I did."  A couple days later he did it again.  He started running every other day, and now he's up to 4 miles.  I swear I almost cried right on the spot!

What we do matters.

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...